Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

pack for a dall sheep hunt

I just booked a hunt in Alaska for dall sheep. I need some advise on a pack for the hunt. I've been looking at eberlestock packs but I am unsure on which one. I am huning with a rifle and like the packs with the scabbard in them. I like the look of the X3 low drag or the G4 operator. has anyone tried these? or should i be looking at something else.
    Most of the hunting will be from a spike camp. My biggest concern is that i've hade 2 lower back surgeries, so i want a pack that is back friendly. This will be the first pack hunt I have done, any advise will help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have an Eberlestock daypack that I use hunting and like it OK.

For longer trips, backpack hunting in Wilderness Areas, I just picked up a Kelty Redcloud to replace an old Wilderness Expirience pack that was probably 25+ years old. After looking at various bags I found that the Kelty would work very well for my needs without having to pay the "hunting pack" price.

Eberlestock makes a great, second to none, pack and if it was in the budget I'd grab another one in a heartbeat. I'd suggest going to a store that carries various packs and trying them on and walking around the store with about 30# of weight in the pack for a half hour for each pack you're considering. Make sure the pack is fitted to you properly and have them measure your torso too. That will do more to tell you what pack best suits you than some stranger on the internet typing at his kitchen table.
    Last edited by vince; 07-13-2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I'd suggest going to a store that carries various packs and trying them on and walking around the store with about 30# of weight in the pack for a half hour for each pack you're considering. Make sure the pack is fitted to you properly and have them measure your torso too. That will do more to tell you what pack best suits you than some stranger on the internet typing at his kitchen table.
    I totally agree with vince. The biggest thing I have learned with backpacks is that they are like boots. Just because all your friends like the same one it doesn't mean that it will fit you. Go try some on for sure. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My favorite Eberlestock is the J34. I really like the layout and that I can compress the scabbard. I have had or still have the mini-me, X1E, X1A1, X3 Lo Drag, and gunrunner.

Unless you need the room I'd avoid the tactical packs for hunting. I personally don't like the wide scabbard for my bolt action rifles. I have to either buckle the straps to narrow it, making the rifle harder to draw, or it moves side to side a bit. Also the nylon packs are louder than the camo softer material. I like the ones that let you compress the scabbard also like the J34. If the scabbard isn't compressed the sides can rub together and make noise also. Even with the scabbard compressed my rifle draws out fairly easy. S&S archery has some good video reviews on their website, that is where I have bought mine.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for the info. This is my first pack hunt, so all the suggestions are a big help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would definietly stay away from the Lo Drag. It's not nearly big enough for what you're planning I don't think. I compared it to my Blue Widow a few days last rifle season and I much preferred the Blue Widow, both in load carrying and layout. I sold the Lo Drag.

Eberlestock packs are nice, but they are on the heavy side IMO...I would look at the ultralight stye packs from REI, Kelty etc, for what you're doing....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What's your price range?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i am hopeing to keep it around $250.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    An Eberlestock would probably be your best bet. Being you have had back issues I would definitely test a pack out on some local hikes before your trip to make sure it's going to work. You don't want to be on a trip like that and be miserable because you don't have a pack that fits you right.

You will see a lot of guys say don't go cheap on a pack or boots. I'm a firm believer in this but bottom line money doesn't grow on trees. Get what you can afford and what is comfortable for you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i ended up with a eberlestock dragonfly. Not to many places in SD that carries a variety of packs. I tried a dragonfly and loved it.
    Thanks to everyone on there info.