Thanks

NR otc bear tag??

I have a few questions if anyone could please help me it would be greatly appreciated. I have always dreamed of doing a DIY bear hunt and my wife wants to go too. I have been all over the NM Hunting Guide and Rules, and my head is about to pop. lol They are way different from Oklahoma's regulation book. lol There's a lot more going on other then buy your tag and hunt. My question is, can NR buy over the counter tags for bears? If so is it archery only or can we use other methods such as rifle or bp? I want to do it with a bow but I would like to better my chances for the first time or two. My final question is can NR hunt on public land with there OTC tags or is it private land with a guide only? I fully don't expect to fill a tag the first few season I go. I know I can't drive over then and get one right away(that is not how my luck goes), I am just wanting to go because I have never hunted out of Oklahoma and I am going for the change of scenery, chance to hunt a new animal, and my wife wants to do that for our 10th anniversary. I am not looking to take anyones spot or anything like that I just have a few questions and didn't want to bother the wildlife department with out trying to figure this out on my own first.lol I am going on an elk hunt next fall for the first time if I have the time. Thank you for any help and for any advice.

Thanks
    I do not believe there is a restriction on non resident, except in certain areas. I do not know a lot about it, but will share what I have learned. First, you have to check with the NMDGF everyday. They have a quota system on bear tags and when the number reaches about 90% of the quota, they close the season in that area. It makes no difference if you had your tag one day or 20. I believe it is archery only during the elk archery season and any legal weapon in August and October. There are some areas that you can only hunt if you drew an elk or deer tag in that area. Each game management unit (GMU) or bear unit has the potential to have different rules. My suggestion is pick a unit and look up the rules for that unit. Good Luck,

Thanks
    My New Mexico bear seasonwas very short.

Thanks
    Thank you very much hoss. I will do that. Xtreme why was your hunt do short? You do any good?

Thanks
    Hoss is pretty accurate. Non-res can buy over the counter tags for bear, 2 day waiting period before you can hunt. Season opens 8/16. Dogs and rifles allowed through 8/31, 9/1 to ~9/24 is bow only and no dogs (in most areas). Opens back up to rifle/dogs after bow season. You don't have to have a valid elk or deer tag to hunt bear. They tried that one year (to avoid having 4 guys in a truck, 1 with an elk license and 3 with a "bear" license), but got rid of it. He is accurate on the zone closing once they reach 90% of the quotas (there's 2 quotas, total bears and female bears), they close once they get within 10% of either. There is a number to call or you can check their website, which they update every couple of days. Check page 53 and 54 of the proclamation. They have been slaying the bears down south in the gila this year (zone 5 which encompasses the gila). I hunted elk in gmu 23 (zone 5) and bought a bear tag, but saw 0 and very little sign, think all the bears were further south. Got a picture of one down south where we arrowed 3 bears a couple years ago. I've never hunted them up north, but I know they've killed a lot out of the gila last couple years. Zone 5 was still open when my hunt ended this year but was closed ~9/9/11 last year.

Maybe your wife could have a talk with my wife about how to spend anniversaries.