Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

wyo elk unit 100

Hey guys im new to this site been looking for awhile. Hoping you guys might be able to help me out. my wife and I drew unit 100 elk tags in wyoming. This is the first time we will be hunting this unit i was wondering if anybody had any information for this unit. thanks for any information.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 6 Posts
    My wife and I antelope hunted up there in 2010 and saw elk in the Oregon Buttes area. I also had the elk tag in 1990, and we did well just finding broken country and looking for draws not readily able to be seen from roads. Lots of elk in there. You'll have a great time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Umpqua, being a flatlander, I have to ask. What is "broken country." Just hilly, or something else? (I remember what a draw is from my days in the Army, lol).

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hey Wyowelder....did you and your wife also go out immediately buy some Super Lotto tx's? I've been trying for years (about 15) to draw 100 and zippo. Man you 2 are lucky. I would almost be tempted to find the best outfitter that knows that area and hire them. This is almost a onece in a lifetime tag.

Good luck and keep us informed on how you 2 do.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 6 Posts
    Murdy: A lot of that unit is flat antelope country. We had some success getting on high points and glassing at first and last light and glassing the flats. During the day we had success finding elk in the small gullies and draws. Basically we looked for country that you couldn't see from high points or easily from roads and the elk were in that slightly broken terrain. That may be one of the easiest elk areas to hunt on the planet with a ton of roads. Good for 250-300 class bulls, with an occasional big bull. I think If I drew it again, I would hunt bow season, and try to pattern a bigger bull. With max points I have been applying elsewhere though

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Umpqua Hunter thanks for taking the time to give us some advice. Colorado cowboy sorry to hear you have been trying that long with no luck i will be sure to let you know what happens threw out the hunt. this is the first year my wife and I will be able to hunt wyoming we moved down here from montana. I will say one thing this elk tag isnt nearly has hard to draw as the missouri river breaks sheep tag I drew in montana in 2010. i guess I just get lucky sometimes this is the first special elk tag i have every drawn.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Did you draw Bull or Cow tags? I have hunted Antelope in Unit 107 the last few years which I think is in a portion of the Northern most part of your unit. I have seen Elk there every year. Send me a PM and I can let you know exactly where I have seen them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good hell...you drew WY 100 for elk this year and Missouri Breaks in MT for sheep a couple years back?? You need to take CC's advice and got buy some lotto tickets. You have the golden touch! Good luck on your elk qwest. Word is 100 is one of the easiest hunts out there for high 200s low 300s elk (I've never hunted the area). If you have good optics, you shouldn't have any trouble finding them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well I tried when I got my sheep tag. I thought I had ran out of luck tho i guess it only comes with tags for me thats alright I will take that. This is the first elk tag I have drawn tho. im looking foraward to the hunt. My wife and I went scouting the other weekend and saw eight bulls out there. It is really dry pretty much all the reservoirs out there are dry and the game warden said they usually arent. hopefully it gets wet before the season starts.