Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hunting etiquette question

Hello,

I have been following the forums for a while and decided to join today in order to ask experienced hunters about a problem I am dealing with.

I recently moved to a different state and I am not a very experienced hunter. I am used to travelling with about 6 people on ATVs and setting up a big hunting camp. I like to bring my wife along although she does not love hunting as much as I do.

The reason I moved was to get a better job. The guys I work with were pretty nice when I first met them and I told them that I was interested in hunting but I was new to the area. They all seemed to like the fact that I was a gun enthusiast and wanted to give me advice about hunting in their state.

I tried to ask a lot of questions and they were very happy to answer me. I asked specifically what to look for when deciding where to hunt. One of the guys showed me an online map of where he hunts and why he chose this location. He said he had hunted there ever since he was a boy and there was a lot of game there and hardly any people. He said that he liked to hunt alone because it was his place where he could have peace. I have never hunted alone and I think it would be strange and dangerous to do so.

A neighbor encouraged me and my wife to put in for a tag where he hunted but we were not get lucky enough to draw. The leftover tags went on sale and we were all able to purchase one. I called 3 of my friends from where I used to live to brag about it and they thought it would be a great excuse to visit me and they were all able to buy tags too. I was so excited. I love a big group and without even trying I had one.

The tags were in a different area than my neighbor usually hunted in so he asked me if I knew anything about the area we had tags for. I said that I didn't so he bought a map and invited me over to look at it with him.

When I saw the map I realized that it was the same place the guy at work had told me about. I showed my neighbor the spot the guy at work had told me about and I pointed out why he told me it would be a good place to hunt. He agreed and we decided we could camp near the spot the guy from work told us about.

I went back to work the next day and was talking to the guys about my hunting trip but instead of being happy for me they all stopped talking to me. I asked one of them why and they said that the other guy showed me the spot so that I could learn what made a good hunting area not so I could hunt the same place that he did.

I don't feel like I did anything wrong. Doesn't everyone have a right to hunt wherever they want to? If it was such a secret why did he tell me about it? I have a lot of people who want to kill something is it fair to let them down?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thats a tough one and welcome to the forum. In my opinion (imo) he showed you what to look for in a good spot and has spent alot of time researching and making that spot his. Granted its public land and everyone has a right to it most would not find it without putting in time in the field and learning. For you to invite others would upset him because alot of people have lost their "honey holes" in that same fashion. If i were you i would research things such as elevation water sources and feed such as the place he pointed out and spend some time finding and creating your own. Not only would it be respectful. But it will also be more rewarding to yourself to do so.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    For me personally, I would not hunt on a buddies site unless he asked me to join him! Did you do wrong? Technically no, but having had several spots over run with people in the past I wouldn't be overly thrilled if someone jumped my claim! There is a spot here in Oregon that is so overrun with people that the last time I went there as soon as you entered the woods it felt like you had a target on your back! Opening morning of Elk season my buddy and I had a herd spotted and were moving into position well before daylight and were just about to our designated spots still before legal shooting light when all hell broke loose. There was somewhere around 20 shots fired from different directions. All we could do was hunker down behind a log until the hail of gunfire was over and hightail back out. Granted this is an extreme case but that is one of the problems with hunting in an area where there is another hunter. You never no where they are or how careful they may be in there target selection. There has been more than a few men shot because "they looked like a buck"!!!
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree, man that is a tough one. If it were me I probably wouldn't have pointed out on a map where my honey hole is. Instead I would have told you makes a promising location in that particular area and then let you figure it out. I know it sounds a little territorial but hardstalk is right he may have spent years finding that perfect spot. I don't know what kind of work this is but if there is anything resembling team work there and you want to maintain good working relationships you may want to go scouting and study maps to find another area then let this guy know that you didn't mean any ill will and that you and your buddies will lay off. Like I said it sounds territorial and childish but it might be the right thing to do. Good luck with it, let us know how it turns out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    Stay out of your coworkers spot. Find your own. It will be more rewarding and u will enjoy it more whether or not you kill an elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have been reading comments posted on this forum for a while now. However this post hit me hard, because I have seen this very thing happen a couple times. I myself have befriended someone and shown them my honey hole and the next year was invited to hunt my own area. When I said no I was told that maybe I should start hunting a different area.
    I agree with all that has been said concerning New Hunters actions. However I don’t think this is a tough one at all, STAY OUT.
    New Hunter, don’t betray your co-worker/ friend’s trust. It was a friendly gesture for your co-worker to show you the area and why he or she chose that area, but STAY OUT.
    If someone shows you a hunting area and tells you that they love hunting an area and have been hunting the area since they were a boy, they are just being friendly, not asking you to invade and take over their hunting area. If he wanted you there he would have probably invited you to join him.
    He said that he liked to hunt alone because it was his place where he could have peace. Do you think he can he have peace with a large hunting party in his camp spot? NO!
    Quicknick said “Like I said it sounds territorial and childish but it might be the right thing to do”.
    First of all, it is not childish it is a man’s honor and self respect that should make him want to find his own spot. You should not feed off of someone else’s hard work. Who knows, you might find an even better spot if you look. Secondly, it is not “might” be the right thing to do, it would be without a question and no doubt THE right thing to do. STAY OUT.
    It takes a weak man New Hunter with no ethics or self respect to knowingly jump someone else’s claim. It is also chicken crap (I wanted t use the other word) and cowardly to not only go hunt the area, but to take an over sized group to join you!!! STAY OUT
    I say you need to get off your butt and look for your own area. Don’t piggy back off someone else to look like a hero to your friends.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wanted to say that SHH but I took the more diplomatic approach.

I don't want the OP to feel like a criminal or something. I honestly think he just wasn't aware.

To the OP, just do your homework with your buddies; get out there and scout. Put some miles on your boots and I guarantee when you connect on your animal it will be much more rewarding.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    NewHunter I am not trying to come down hard on you, being new to the hunting world you wouldn’t know the unwritten law of hunting ethics. What I wrote before was addressed to the veteran hunters. Also New Hunter I respect you for doing your home work and asking why your co-worker are upset with you. I hope you choose to start your hunting life respecting animals and other hunters, unlike some other people I could mention, but won’t

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    That's why I no longer tell folks specifics about an area. Heck, anymore I don't even share what unit I drew. Been burnt a few times the last couple years trying to help some folks out and asked them to keep it to themselves. Now, there's more people than critters in some of those areas.

To the original poster, it's your call and you have to work there. However, if the person was generous and kind enough to show you what to look for and areas, you may want to return the same kindness and not hunt his spot. Take a bunch of scouting trips and find your own....especially now that you what to look for. JMO
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm one of those people that has my "spots" where I hunt and I don't mind sharing them and giving hints, tips and advice. Most the spots that I hunt aren't anywhere close to a road and take a lot of work getting in and out of, I feel that if someone is willing to work as hard as I do then they deserve to reap the reward. But in that same sense, I tell people I don't mind if they hunt there. Your co-worker didn't say it was okay and he did talk about loving to go there alone. I too agree that it would be rude to take your large hunting party there. Surely the unit is going to have more than one of the animal you are hunting so go scout it out yourself. Find your own "honey hole." it really will make it more rewarding in the end. Last year while I was elk hunting alone, I was going off a few spots that friends had told me to check out. I ended up finding my own little spot where a couple of bulls liked to hang out and even though I never got a shot, I got close and had them bugling in my face. That to me is successful and I felt proud of myself for finding the spot and it made me feel like I was doing something right as a hunter! If you want some advice for things to look for in trying to find a good spot, let me know!