Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    new hunter, Don't do it. You are just asking for trouble during your hunt and then at work. How could this possibly be any good!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think it would be kind of frowned upon to hunt his spot. I say put the work into finding your own area to call "yours". Otherwise you might have some awkward coffee breaks at work haha!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    When I retired 12 years ago and moved here to SW Colorado, I had hunted some here. I bought lots of maps, did a lot of scouting and hiking in the local mountains. I found some areas that I hunt that are a little out of the main hunting area (eg AWAY from the roads!). I talked to a lot of fellow hunters as I am a member of 2 large shooting clubs. But I do not ask them about their specific hunting areas. If they tell me about them, I usually keep it to myself and once or twice when I hunted their areas, I ask them if it was ok in advance. I have a couple of areas I hunt prairie dogs and geese that are on private property which I also keep close to the vest and don't take many other people to.

Remember one thing...maybe you made a mistake in the eyes of your co-workers, but "lessons learned" should be your mantra.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    A big part of hunting is doing the research and scouting to find places to hunt. Asking someone where to hunt is not hunting.

btw Hunting alone is one of my biggest joys in life.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A good ole "fuddybuckin". Don't compound the damage you have done already by taking an army into your coworkers spot. Hunt anywhere else in the unit but that particular area. Not sure what kind of work you do, but having a job where people are always trying to throw you under the bus vs. people having your back can make all the difference in the world as to whether you are miserable year round or not. Its not worth a good week of hunting to ruin your relationship with your coworkers for the other 51 weeks of the year. This is not even a question, you have asked, now you know better, don't do it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by BOHNTR View Post
    That's why I no longer tell folks specifics about an area. Heck, anymore I don't even share what unit I drew. Been burnt a few times the last couple years trying to help some folks out and asked them to keep it to themselves. Now, there's more people than critters in some of those areas.

To the original poster, it's your call and you have to work there. However, if the person was generous and kind enough to show you what to look for and areas, you may want to return the same kindness and not hunt his spot. Take a bunch of scouting trips and find your own....especially now that you what to look for. JMO
    Me too, and I sort of feel guilty about not telling someone what unit I drew.

To the OP, my son in law is a new hunter also, I have sort of taken him under my wing and tried to show him the ropes. I told him if he ever invited anyone else or showed them the places I hunt he would no longer be welcome to hunt with me. He is a workaholic and doesn't do his own scouting but relies on me to do it for him. A couple of years ago he killed a nice buck in a spot that he never would have dreamed of finding on his own and one of the first things he said was "I did it all on my own" I looked him straight in the eye and asked if he found his own spot. Last year I didn't invite him to hunt with me, he didn't kill a deer and he got the point (I hope).

A couple of suggestions, not to sound harsh but IMO you should find your own spot. Nothing wrong with asking for help but have your own map and learn to use it. Spend time scouting, you will get to learn the area and have a better sense of satisfaction. Leave 5 of your buddies at home or if you insist on taking them get far away from anyone else. I hate a noisy camp. Leave the ATVs at home, no hunter wants to hear an ATV engine. My sil suggested ATVs once and I told him to hunt elsewhere if he was too lazy to walk. The only reason to have an ATV on public land is if you have a disability that keeps you from walking. I didn't have a problem with them until they started selling them to idiots with no respect for other people, now I have a big problem. If you must ride an ATV to have fun, go to an ORV area instead. Hunting can be a social sport, nothing wrong with that but have some respect for other people.

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    I would never hunt in a friends area without them asking me to join them and I certainly wouldn't invite other people into the area. The guy at work probabally feels that you went behind his back and you are trying to take over his area. You should of ask him about other areas of the unit you could try so you wouldnt interfere with his hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Pretty cut and dry, don't take your posse of folks into his area. It would be bad enough if it was just you but bringing a bunch of other guys into the area (who could potential bring other buddies to the area) and your just asking for trouble.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ill share units and sometimes certain areas, anymore there are so many damn hunters out on the easy to get to places that it scares the new hunters away or turns them into lazy hunters, however, ive been in the spot of needing to learn an area and its nice to have a little help narrowing it down, but finding that honey hole inside of an area is what is cool. dyi only goes so far. ive shared one of my honey holes for deer hunting, to my brother no less, the next year 10 of his friends had thiere 5th wheels parked at bottom. i had back packed in several miles above and when i came down a few days later with a buck strapped to my back it really killed the moment seeing my spot was ruined and molested, there were 6 2x2 hanging in a tree, i didnt say a word jumped in truck with my harvest and headed home. honey holes are gold to the avid hunter/outdoorsman, good luck on your hunt and if he is that pissed just say hey buddy im new to this crap then appolagize, sounds corny and lame but trust all of us that have been posting, so worth it. wackem and stack em!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Find a new spot, he has been hunting there since he was a boy! Being a new hunter I don't think you realize how sacred a spot can be to a person when you spend so much time somewhere. He should have never told you in the first place but in his defense most people have the common sense never to even fathom thinking about dragging a huge crew into someones cherrished spot.