Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This won't go over well, but.........

I've never had to ask anybody where to hunt. As I said already. It's part of hunting. Too many now are looking for the easy way.

Yes, I know i'm a grumpy old fart.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The risk definatly out weighs the reward here

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I read alot of posts, but I don't speak out very often, this one is one I do have to chime in on. Your co-worker shouldn't have showed you his spot, but he did. He may not have thought at the time you would acctually go there, and I'm sure he didn't think you would bring a big group on buddies along! DO NOT take your buddies there, or tell them where it is. I would only hunt there "if" he invited you. I think everyone who has hunted for a long time has experianced similar situations. I myself only hunt someones spot if they invite me along or its an area that you wait years to draw a tag for and they aren't hunting it that year and don't mind if I do. I have "MY" spots that I hunt. One in particular that I have hunted for over 20 years, its my favorite spot to hunt elk. I have taken very few buddies there, they get discouraged very quickly, so I don't worry too much about them telling everone about it. Believe it or not I've never killed an elk there, but I've had many close calls. I will kill a big bull there someday, and when people ask me where I got it I will tell them the most popular area I can think of! Hunting isn't all about killing something, do yourself a favor and start hunting for a differant place to hunt. Also tell your co-worker your not going to hunt "his" spot.

So.Cal., but don't hold that against me...UPDATE, soon to be NM
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Without duplicating everything that has already been said, how about some advice. Next time you are chatting about hunting with another hunter ask about what areas are the most popular, ask about timing of movement between summer and winter grounds, ask about nearby accompodations. You will probably get most accurate and useful information. If you know the popular spots you already know the places to avoid, knowing a little about movement will give you a better perspective of where you might find animals during the time of your hunt, and of course what accomodations is just good to know info anywhere you hunt. In my eyes that's some good info to have and like I said, you're more apt to get accurate info, just learn to use it to your advantage. Take tha info and find your spot, then keep it to yourself or better yet tell someone else about it and see what happens the next year, Hard way to learn a lesson, but you won't forget it that way. Good luck and don't get discouraged, it takes time to become an experienced hunter and there really isn't too many shortcuts

So.Cal., but don't hold that against me...UPDATE, soon to be NM
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    One more thing, don't be concerned about showing your head around here just because you got blasted in this thread. Weither someone admits it or not we were all newbe hunters at one time. Btw, welcome to Eastmans

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You should have never shared that info with your friends. Laziness is not a trait shared by successful hunters. That being said, learn from your mistake, and good luck in your future hunts.
    Last edited by BOHNTR; 07-12-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drelk View Post
    Stay out of your coworkers spot. Find your own. It will be more rewarding and u will enjoy it more whether or not you kill an elk
    Sounds about right!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The fact that you came on here, told everyone exactly what you were planning to do, and asked about it tells me you are a stand up guy and didn't mean any harm. If I were you, I'd go tell my co-worker who had helped me: sorry, wasn't thinking/meant no harm, and we'll find somewhere else in the unit to hunt -- I'm sure there are other spots. He may even give you a little advice on where else to hunt in the unit. Do you have a right to hunt any spot of public land? Sure. But choosing what piece of public land to hunt based on the info he gave you would be a bit of a breach of trust, too, since even if you bought those same tags and he hadn't shared his spot with you, odds are you would not have picked it to hunt on.
    Good luck this fall.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with Murdy..the respectful and ethical thing to do is apologize to your coworker and tell him you will look for another place to hunt. However, you do show you have ethical standards by coming on here to get opinions of others. Good luck on your upcoming hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdy View Post
    The fact that you came on here, told everyone exactly what you were planning to do, and asked about it tells me you are a stand up guy and didn't mean any harm. If I were you, I'd go tell my co-worker who had helped me: sorry, wasn't thinking/meant no harm, and we'll find somewhere else in the unit to hunt -- I'm sure there are other spots. He may even give you a little advice on where else to hunt in the unit. Do you have a right to hunt any spot of public land? Sure. But choosing what piece of public land to hunt based on the info he gave you would be a bit of a breach of trust, too, since even if you bought those same tags and he hadn't shared his spot with you, odds are you would not have picked it to hunt on.
    Good luck this fall.
    Good advice here.