Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pack Size

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pack Size

If your wanting to do 10 day+/- hunt what size of pack should I be looking for? I'm new to this style of hunting so I having a hard time getting a starting point to go with. Any advice, tips, or anything else would be greatly appriecated.

Thanks,
    newguy220

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I would start at 5000 C.I. (if you go ultralight), and go up from there. 10 days is a long time livin' off your back.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    I would start at 5000 C.I. (if you go ultralight), and go up from there. 10 days is a long time livin' off your back.
    BB is right about 10 days. I have horses and 10 days is a ton of time even with them. Do yourself a favor and plan for 2-4 1/2 day hunts. You will be better off and the day off will recharge the batteries

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    BB is right about 10 days. I have horses and 10 days is a ton of time even with them. Do yourself a favor and plan for 2-4 1/2 day hunts. You will be better off and the day off will recharge the batteries
    Excellent advice, BKC.

We don't do 10 at a time (very often anyway) when we are heading in on horseback either. "Recharge the batteries" ... I like that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I'd go 6k minimum for the fact of 10 days worth of food is going to take more room then one would think. That's my .02 cents that ain't even worth a penny.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Drhorsepower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Can't do a short hunt, from what I can tell its going to be at least a week at once maybe two. My buddy and me drew bighorn sheep tags and from what I can tell the best way to do is to fly in, so it will be hard to do the short hunts, we might try to do a base camp also. We've never hunted like this so any tips and/or advice would be great, we've packed in before with horses so we are familiar with it, but we've never done it off our backs.

Thanks,
    newguy220

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    You don't have to fly out to take a break. Rat hole some of your stuff ( food and supplies) close to where you are going in and out. Maybe you will both tag out after the first few days and then you don't have to carry all that weight at once. If you don't tag out then go get more of your rat holed supplies relax a 1/2 day and hit it again. 10 days of food and gear is going to be a chore!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BKC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by newguy220 View Post
    Can't do a short hunt, from what I can tell its going to be at least a week at once maybe two. My buddy and me drew bighorn sheep tags and from what I can tell the best way to do is to fly in, so it will be hard to do the short hunts, we might try to do a base camp also. We've never hunted like this so any tips and/or advice would be great, we've packed in before with horses so we are familiar with it, but we've never done it off our backs.

Thanks,
    newguy220
    Honestly, 10 days is probably to much to just put on your back and go for it especially if it is your first time tackling something like this. Not saying that it isn't doable, but you are going to pay for it with a load like that on your back. Your best bet is to set a base camp and go from there. That is my favorite tactic. Set up a nice base camp with adequate supplies, and then spike out for 2-3 days. When you are feeling worn out or need more supplies, relax at base camp for a spell, re-supply and head back out for another few days. Way better to have an over supplied base camp that you can visit than an under supplied pack because of weight concerns.
    "For its in these mountains that I long to be, where I can hear God whisper down the creek and through the trees. Just one sunset and I know you'd think the same. Watch your worries fade 'neath a rocky mountain rain."
    Obsession Bows Pro-staff. "Fuel the Obsession"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Darktimber View Post
    Honestly, 10 days is probably to much to just put on your back and go for it especially if it is your first time tackling something like this. Not saying that it isn't doable, but you are going to pay for it with a load like that on your back. Your best bet is to set a base camp and go from there. That is my favorite tactic. Set up a nice base camp with adequate supplies, and then spike out for 2-3 days. When you are feeling worn out or need more supplies, relax at base camp for a spell, re-supply and head back out for another few days. Way better to have an over supplied base camp that you can visit than an under supplied pack because of weight concerns.
    What is the best way to get your base camp to a centralized location from where you want to hunt? I will be in the wilderness and if we fly in the only way to haul will be by our backs, so I've been trying to figure this out since I've never done it before.

Thanks,
    newguy220

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by newguy220 View Post
    What is the best way to get your base camp to a centralized location from where you want to hunt? I will be in the wilderness and if we fly in the only way to haul will be by our backs, so I've been trying to figure this out since I've never done it before.

Thanks,
    newguy220
    If it is wilderness, I almost guarantee there are pack trails going through it. Almost any wilderness has outfitters that will horseback your supplies in. Usually you give them a set time, and they will come back to pull your camp back out. A lot of times they will also rent out a canvas tent or other items you are lacking for your base camp. Just an option. Like I said before though, 10 days is doable, if you really double down on shaving out the items that you don't need for food. Cut down on extra socks, clothes, etc. and wash them in a creek as needed. Sleep in your clothes to utilize a lighter bag. Little things like that will drop your weight and keep your pack somewhat reasonable.
    "For its in these mountains that I long to be, where I can hear God whisper down the creek and through the trees. Just one sunset and I know you'd think the same. Watch your worries fade 'neath a rocky mountain rain."
    Obsession Bows Pro-staff. "Fuel the Obsession"