View Poll Results: Should I get a single pin for hunting?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 33.33%
  • No

12 66.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just imagine this: You are calling in a bull elk. You call him into 50 yards. You dial in your one pin sight to 50 and then draw back to full draw. Then, suddenly he comes in to 30 yards. What do you do now? You would have to let your draw down, adjust your pin, draw back again, and hope that while doing all of this he won't spook and run for it! There are just way to many what if's and unknowns for me to want to buy a one pin sight. Keep it simple and buy a nice 5 pin sight from spot hogg and you wont be sorry!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by dhershberger View Post
    Just imagine this: You are calling in a bull elk. You call him into 50 yards. You dial in your one pin sight to 50 and then draw back to full draw. Then, suddenly he comes in to 30 yards. What do you do now? You would have to let your draw down, adjust your pin, draw back again, and hope that while doing all of this he won't spook and run for it! There are just way to many what if's and unknowns for me to want to buy a one pin sight. Keep it simple and buy a nice 5 pin sight from spot hogg and you wont be sorry!
    Then again if you leave your sight set on 30 and practice enough and know where your arrow will hit at 50 and he decides to present a shot at 30 then no worries. Don't knock it till you try it just sayin

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    The single pin sight is great for stand hunting when the shot is at a fixed, known distance. I don't think they're practical for most western hunting situations. I'd stick with the 5-pin.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a BG Ascent with 3 pins. The first is set at 27yds, that puts me a couple of inches high at 20, and a couple inches low at 30. My other 2 pins are set for 40 and 50. I didn't want a sight with a lot of pins to clutter it up. Anything farther than 50 I adjust my sight, if the animal moves closer I can shoot with my other pins. Pic what is right for you and the situation that you will most be in, and practice with it. If you don't like it, change back.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    It seems alot of folks are going to them these days, I remember watching a hunting show and a guy shot over the back of a bull at 20? Yards... Like way over the back! He added it up to his sight being at 50 yards because he was showing how it worked to a guy in camp that morning and forgot to put it back to his preset yardage he usually keeps it at.

I will be lucky to be in that situation once in my life with a bow, id hate to lose my opportunity to something like that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Drhorsepower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntOregon View Post
    Then again if you leave your sight set on 30 and practice enough and know where your arrow will hit at 50 and he decides to present a shot at 30 then no worries. Don't knock it till you try it just sayin
    That still has way to many what if's and unknowns for me! When you practice at home at 50 yds., you dial in for 50 yds.! You don't dial in for 30 yds and then shoot at 50 yds so you can try to guess how far the arrow drops! It really is not ethical to shoot at an animal at fifty yards when you sight is dialed in for thirty because there is a good chance that your arrow hits to high or to low and you end up wounding the animal. Eliminate the guess work and get a spot hogg five pin!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dhershberger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    sounds like fun for target shooting but to much room for error while hunting, but i havent tried it so who knows

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    I am not worried about yardages. I shoot unmarked 3d a bunch and it helps so I can almost take that out of the equation. I really think I will give it a shot because I can always get a 3 pin head for the Hogg father. So far all the animals I got up on last year I could have dialed ranged and had plenty of time. I could careless about killing, I love that adrenaline while your close and you can't shoot. I think I will give it a shot next year and will give feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I got a buddy who uses one and likes it, but I can't see it myself. Something pops up close, you want to minimize movement so as not to spook it, you have your pin on the wrong distance . . . then what? I'd much rather have several reference points to judge that shot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyMusky View Post
    I can't stand a 1 pin, and can't understand how others get "confused" by multiple pins, ie I shot him with my 40yd but thought it was my 30yd pin.

It's called focus, and train, and learn it!

a 3 pin would be my minimum, 4/5 preferred.

30, 40, 50yds.

it's pretty simple, range or select the animals distance, ok 40yds, then say 1st pin is 30, 2nd pin is 40...ok use the 2nd pin! done, shoot, dead elk.
    I used to say the EXACT same thing. Then I got OLD. My eyes just don't focus the same as they used to, and it is often hard to make as accurate a shot as I used to be able to do time after time after time. Focusing near (on the pin) and still having a clear picture far, or far and near isn't so easy anymore and the whole process keeps me from concentrating like I used to. I shot a Hogg It Hunter with Hogg wrap for years and love them. This year I switched to the Hogg Father and to be honest I am shooting better than I have in 4-5 years. Shooting 3D and paper great and super confident at out to 80-100 yards which, while I have little use to shoot that far in a hunting situation, typically leads me to complete confidence at tree stand distances and on the ground at 40-50. I've seen a lot of sights and bows come and go in 40+ years of archery, and used to put down all the single pin and pendulum guys, I was an idiot. I am sold on the single pin now.

If you need it, it could very possibly change a lot about how well you shoot. If you want to stick with a multi pin sight, by all means go ahead, you are shooting a great one. Either way, don't let an idiot like I was talk you out of it. Shoot what works for you. One suggestion, if you just want to check it out, try a cheaper HHA or Trophy Ridge or something. If you get the hang of it, step up to the Hogg Father and slap the other one on eBay (or a back up bow, or give it to a kid or something).
    Last edited by ChadH; 07-17-2012 at 11:49 PM.