Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was born and raised in northern idaho, it used to be just amazing hunting in the good ol days, now wolves and people seem to be more plentiful than the big game. The good ol days werent that long ago, im only 24.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Big game management in Idaho lacks luster. I think they have a long way to go before they can claim to be good game managers. Just look at their track record. Cut the state in half, and the deer and elk numbers in the top half has had steady declines in the last two decades, yet you can buy up to 3 elk tags and 3 deer tags in many North Idaho units. Hardly sound game management, looks like money management to me.
    Dirk Durham
    Elk 101 Prostaff
    www.elk101.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not sure on the 3 elk tags deal but I haven't looked into the regs for up there. The way I understand it you only get one elk tag unless you can get a leftover or landowner depredation tag as well but around here that is fairly rare. I know the IDF&G has fallen flat in some aspects and there is no doubt they were all about the numbers and somewhat still are but I think they have realized that and are starting to turn the corner. They have a long way to go but hopefully the new department head can steer them in the right direction.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by T43 View Post
    Not sure on the 3 elk tags deal but I haven't looked into the regs for up there.
    #1 You can buy your regular over the counter elk tag. #2 You can buy a "left over" non-resident elk tag. And #3 you can draw an extra elk tag (antler-less) for areas which elk are a problem to farmers (in units that are surrounded by low elk density's). Looks like they could transplant those problem elk to the back country. Maybe they dont want to feed the wolves.
    Dirk Durham
    Elk 101 Prostaff
    www.elk101.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think they are doing an okay job but could be doing better-Idaho is all about opportunity and that is what they are providing...in a way.
    Last edited by Howahunter; 04-02-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think Idaho is between a rock and a hard spot. The fish and game is going broke because the wolves are eating us out of house and home. So even if the want to manage populations better they can't afford too. I feel sorry for them in away. On the other hand I was at a fish and game meeting and the biologist would not admit that the wolves are a problem. That to me is the big problem with the picture.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As the next wave of lawsuits and private interest group appeals runs its course, Idaho is ready to take over at a moments notice with a wolf management plan in place, flawed or no. One interesting idea that may use some public backing (especially by sportsman) is the implementation of a take season for fur trappers, which would be a more efficient method of population control by sportsman, not to mention a new source of revenue for a stretched state run department of fish and game. An "all hands on deck" stance needs taken by sportsman in general, regardless of view on the wolf issue; because it is a varying issue state to state, and to take the control out of the hands of the state government seems plain wrong. This discussion is volatile at best, and may be better suited for the wolf forum, I apologize in advance, but it does affect all Idaho sportsman.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well keep in mind, the wolves were delisted, and as of just two days ago, discussions are still on going with the IDFG and Gov Otter on what direction to take. In all truth there is to be a hunt this fall, and thats not a variable, but a fact. The discussions are about numbers, short term goals and 5 and 10 year goals. IDFG likes to take 5 to 10 years to study stuff, then make changes. The problem with that is 10 years later the numbers are BUNK.
    Otter wants to put us in a wolf disaster mode, which would allow an IMMEDIATE reduction of our wolf numbers. We are still waiting out the 60 days congress has to put the delisting on the official document, and until then its still a no go on anything legally speaking.
    Defenders of wildlife and other organizations set out with a recovery goal and management plan that they got Idaho to buy into. When the original plans numbers were reached, they fought the management plan and up until today they played red. I am so glad congress stepped up to the plate and put an end to the legal BS we have been fighting.

IDFG hires biologists to help them plan numbers and hunts etc, but to be honest, proper management needs faster results, adjustments, and such than 5 to 10 year study grants they run off of can produce.
    I hunt because......