Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Burger Mix

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't add anything to my ground venison for burgers, just make sure the grill is really hot and don't flip them too soon. Sear each side good, and keep the inside pink. When I make italian sausage, I add 1 part pork butt to 2 parts veni. I have added chopped raw bacon to burgers before cooking and they turn out pretty good, we just prefer pure venison, though.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonArrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with Old Hunter in why add anything to make it less healthy and I rationalize that by saying on a 3 to 1 mix, the fat content might go down to about 93% to 7%. We just have friends & family dislike the taste of game (more like just too accustom to beef) and they seem enjoy more when they relate to the taste of beef.

Umpqua Hunter had some good ideas with the bacon wrapped vension burger and keeping other recipes lean. thx

This year, I'm going to experiment with the bacon for burger meat, pork roast mix and 2 kinds of beef hamburger mix - lean & more fatty. And if I'm lucky enough to harvest a whitetail this year, I'll try not adding anything, just haven't harvested a deer for a few years. This year we've been dining on 2 moose and found the flavor is very mild, but mostly we relied on the elk we've taken.

Best part is usually having a freezer full of options at any one time.
    Last edited by meathunter; 07-15-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Country View Post
    What Umpqua, said Best burger is with no suet added IMO. I have never shot a mule deer but blacktail deer tastes much better to me than whitetail but I still don't add anything to my whitetail either.
    Me too, I seldom add anything. If I'm making breakfast sausage I'll sometimes add a little fat just before cooking, usually just butter though.

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    I actually have never had fat added to my venison burger. We love it that way.
    Yep, me either. I don't add a thing, just ground deer, elk antelope whatever. Tastes fine to my family.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I used to always add a little beef fat but a few years back switched to nothing added and grind twice with the course plate. Leaving the grind course allows for easy burger forming and BBQing.

They taste great no matter the critter!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Used to add fat. Depends on what recipe we planned on using most burger for. Now we grind it straight and if neccessary ill add raw egg and mush it all together for the grill. Helps it stay solid.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Bacon burger is delicious. I used to add beef fat to ground venison, but found that straight venison is better tasting (I've found beef fat to have a slightly off flavor that gets worse with time in the freezer) but straight venison also has trouble sticking together for grilling burger patties.