Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That is the Chargemaster Combo, CC, I love mine too. It does measure by weight though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yep...by weight. In my experience its the only way to measure smokeless powder. Accurate to 1/10th of a grain and fast. I can see no advantage to using volume to load...except with BP.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Yep...by weight. In my experience its the only way to measure smokeless powder. Accurate to 1/10th of a grain and fast. I can see no advantage to using volume to load...except with BP.
    Only advantage is accuracy and time loading my friend

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    Only advantage is accuracy and time loading my friend
    Are you refering to accuracy of the powder charge or accuracy of the loaded round? I have loaded literally tens of 1000's of rounds using each method. While the volume method of powder measurement may be slightly faster, I have found it to be less accurate in the amount of powder you use each time. The is too much variation in the powder granule size of different types of powder to maintain accuracy of the individual charge. In some types of reloading, namely shotgun and most BP, this amount of accuracy is probably not necessary. But in reloading rifle cartridges, I beg to differ. The only way Iget the accuracy I demand is to weigh each and every load down to the 1/10 of a grain. My RCBS allows me to do that. I used to use various brands of powder measures (and still do for pistol), but the variation in the powder drops were too large for my rifle loads....again at least for me and my demands on accurate powder charges down to 1/10 of a grain.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, this is how I have done it for years and will continue in the future. It doesn't make me right and everyone who doesn't agree with me wrong. I have used both methods in the past and still do for certain applications, but the results I get are exactly what I want.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Cc, I am referring to accuracy of loaded round. One can argue accuracy of powder charge depending on what you are measuring, if you are measuring weight, it is not that accurate, if you are measuring volume, well its fairly accurate. I have not tried all of my loads for my rifles, the ones I have shot show improvement in accuracy. I still have to try my 7mm mag which is not ball powder. I have not even shot that rifle simply because I am not expecting a rifle tag any time soon.

In my .243 win rem 700, my averaged 3-3 shot groups changed from .562 to .488
    My .17 rem changed from .392 to .377
    .220 swift went from .475 to .422

It is not for everybody and if what you are doing works for you, keep with it no doubt, for me, accuracy is final and I strive to find the most accurate loads for my weapons. I take it a lot farther than some people and learn from the ones who take it to the extreme.

Like you, I love reloading, keep up the strong work and keep your knowledge flowing for all of us youngins

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey man...if it works keep doin it! Used to do a lot of 1000 yard bp shooting with my Sharp 45-70. Weighed each and every load, used a drop tube, cast my own bullets, special lube, grease cookies and more. Really got to be not a lot of fun any more, thats why I kinda lost interest and quit shooting it several years ago. Still reload all my BP cowboy loads, a bit more tedious than fun tho. I still enjoy loading smokeless rifle tho and havn't shot any factory loads (that I bought) in over 25 years. Helps to be retired with time to do it.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Back to the 375 Ruger... does anyone here reload for it?
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here is what I have for my loads with a 375 Ruger in African. 80.5 of Big Game Remington 9 1/2 primer hornady cases. 74 of Reloader 15 with Federal 215 with hornady cases. Big Game load is right around 2800 fps and the Reloader 15 is running around 2750 fps. Both loads are with 260 nosler accubonds. Shooting between 1" and 1 1/2" three shot groups. The factory ammo with 270 hornady sp shoots arond 2700. So I am having good luck with the round. But the alaskan has 3 1/2" less barrel then the african. You can't expect it to get these speeds even with max loads threw a alaskan. I have shot one elk and two deer with the big game load and of course they dropped everything right on the spot. I really think the gun would shoot even better with a little more work, but the accuracy is plenty for what I intend to use it for. On top of all of that the loads shoot to the same point of impact at 100 yards. So I don't need to adjust the scope if I change loads back and forth. I have even tried it out to 200 yards with my 8" gong and both mass right together on the gong. With the open sights it does hit a little high and to the right at 50 yards but I think the sights are regulated for 300 grain bullets at 50.
    Last edited by boulderbeardog; 08-01-2012 at 05:26 PM.