Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yea I'm not sure which area we will be in for sure yet. We will be huntig with thunder ridge outfitters and it is a drop camp style hunt so as of now I am kind of at their mercy. Anyone have any experience with these guys?

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    793
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I hunted Antelope there years ago. There were plenty of Goats and we saw a lot of deer, some pretty nice ones (165-170ish) but not a TON of them. I like the country and I think, if you put a little time in, the Dumbell HMA will produce for you. Sounds like Huntwyodon has it all pretty well right on the money.
    ChadH.
    Lot's of antelope for sure. Back when I hunted the area for 5 yrs., deer weren't very abundant but you could find them, a lot of times along the Sweetwater River. I think most of the deer until Nov. when the season is closed or weather pushes them down stay up in the Rattlesnakes. Unless you have a Limited entry 89 tag it's a harder hunt. Definitly more deer in Green, Black and Ferris Mtns. I shot only one decent buck at the ranch.What year did you hunt Reg. E ?
    Killshot824,
    Your are hunting with an outfitter with a Reg. G tag ? I bet he will take to to the areas mentioned not down lower near the ranch. not as many deer around, at least not when I was there.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    chadH.. we are hunting region E with a general tag i actually spoke with them today and was told more than likely we will be on green, black, or ferris mountains with the possibility of sweetwater, all depending on where they are finding deer! so i guess from my perspective hes giving us a good place to start but i am open to hunting newhere in region E that i can hunt with a general tag. i have read quiet a bit about the dumbell ranch and the rattlesnakes you all keep mentioning but with a general tag this area is off limits to me! i have hunted in crook county out of buelah twice now but am totally new to this area of the state so every bit of the help you guys are contributing is GREATLY appreciated!! thanks again!!!

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    793
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by killshot824 View Post
    chadH.. we are hunting region E with a general tag i actually spoke with them today and was told more than likely we will be on green, black, or ferris mountains with the possibility of sweetwater, all depending on where they are finding deer! so i guess from my perspective hes giving us a good place to start but i am open to hunting newhere in region E that i can hunt with a general tag. i have read quiet a bit about the dumbell ranch and the rattlesnakes you all keep mentioning but with a general tag this area is off limits to me! i have hunted in crook county out of buelah twice now but am totally new to this area of the state so every bit of the help you guys are contributing is GREATLY appreciated!! thanks again!!!
    The Dumbell Ranch shouldn't be limited entry unless you cross Dry Creek rd. to the east. Then you are in 89 near the Rattlesankes.
    You should have no problem getting a decent buck in those mtn. ranges. I promise I wont reply again ! LOL !

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    wyodon.. like i said this part of the state is totally new to me so keep on posting i am definately eating up all the info i can get! im glad to here that at least part of the dumbell is open to me! i will definately be looking into it as a back up plan if the area we get sent to isnt panning out! like i said before all info is definately appreciated good or bad! We definately plan on doing ALOT of walking to hope to get some descent deer on their feet!

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    793
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by killshot824 View Post
    wyodon.. like i said this part of the state is totally new to me so keep on posting i am definately eating up all the info i can get! im glad to here that at least part of the dumbell is open to me! i will definately be looking into it as a back up plan if the area we get sent to isnt panning out! like i said before all info is definately appreciated good or bad! We definately plan on doing ALOT of walking to hope to get some descent deer on their feet!
    Well in that case !
    The Granite Hills (Sweetwater Rocks) are on Dumbell Ranch. The parallel the Sweetwater River there near their ranch and out to the east up to Dry Creek road ( was a dirt road up to 1997) They arent much but the only hills on the ranch. There is a two track road on the north side the parallels the hills the comes close to them then does a little turn and goes down hill into a pocket with a pond. I'd park and peek over instead of driving into it. Also right before the turn there is a little canyon (little) the you can walk up into that I always saw deer and shot a little buck in once. The can jump over to the other side towards the ranch fro there and to the river. If you have or get an area 68 antelope tag, there are usually lot's of loper's in the back there. I used to camp on the north side of the hills. I have wondered if Norman and Gaynell are still alive.. She was a very nice lady. He was kind of a grumpy guy. LOL!
    She used to give me advice when I'd see her when I was going through my divorce in 1996 . That's the year I bought my 40 acres on the east side of the Rattlesnake hills from them.

  7. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Be careful with some of the advice you are getting here. Ferris mountain is in limited quota unit 87. You can't legally hunt deer in this unit with a general tag.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    793
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWyo View Post
    Be careful with some of the advice you are getting here. Ferris mountain is in limited quota unit 87. You can't legally hunt deer in this unit with a general tag.
    I don't think I mentioned Ferris as being General Reg E area. maybe but I know it isn't .If so, sorry. I'm pretty sure the Green Mtns. are general hunt. I haven't hunted in that area since 1997. They used the change the area back and forth from general to limited quota all the time back then . Like with 89. 89 has been LQ for a long time now.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Wyoming Region R
    By Whitehawk in forum Mule Deer
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 09:40 PM
  2. Looking For Alternate Muley Unit In Region C
    By zacajawea in forum Wyoming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-30-2013, 04:07 PM
  3. wyoming region f muley hunt
    By popenyoung in forum Mule Deer
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 11:34 AM
  4. region G wyoming
    By Moose in forum Mule Deer
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-05-2012, 09:15 AM
  5. Wyoming Muley!
    By airwingdevildog in forum Mule Deer
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 08:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •