Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Colorado GMU 44 (4th Rifle Nov 14-18)

Hi,

Have an EE GMU 44 tag for the 4th rifle season. Have NO idea where to go and in particular where NOT to go given the inevitable pressure.

Anyone hunt this area and have success? If so, care to share some pointers given my lack of knowledge hunting in this GMU not to mention CO in general. I'd like to get AWAY from roads/hunters and I'm willing to hike/pack; in fact we are planning on setting up a drop camp w/ a wall tent etc--possibly have a couple 4 wheelers as well.

Thanks in advanced!

Brian

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    One thing that you will have no control over is the weather. In November the weather is sure to be cold and there could be lots of snow, but you never know about the snow part. I've seen the migration over with and sometimes not not even started......depends on the weather. Oh did I mention the weather?

I guess you get my point.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Browan89 View Post
    Hi,

Have an EE GMU 44 tag for the 4th rifle season. Have NO idea where to go and in particular where NOT to go given the inevitable pressure.

Anyone hunt this area and have success? If so, care to share some pointers given my lack of knowledge hunting in this GMU not to mention CO in general. I'd like to get AWAY from roads/hunters and I'm willing to hike/pack; in fact we are planning on setting up a drop camp w/ a wall tent etc--possibly have a couple 4 wheelers as well.

Thanks in advanced!

Brian
    If you are planning on getting away and will have a couple of 4 wheelers in camp then you will not be getting away from crowds. If you can use a 4 wheeler then the crowds will find you. This is going to be a different year because of the lack of moisture. Good luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys!

I'll consider the weather and NOT bring the 4-wheeler's...my buddies and I are willing and able to hike hike hike (weather permitting).

Question though, is there a particular part of GMU44 that's better than others? Entry point etc?

Oh, I'll keep an eye on the weather too! :-)

Thanks,
    Brian

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Browan,

I've hunted it the last two years. Seem like a lot of Road hunters but that might be because of the weather. West facing side of Hardscrabble mountain had good elk numbers, its a steep SOB but flattens out on top. There seems to me to be a lot of intermitten private property closer to Eagle or Gypsum but overall the south side of the unit has produced. I hunt this unit with my now 6 year old so the walking I do can't be too far or else I'd have to quarter him up to get him out Last year I had only a cow tag and saw a bunch of bulls on the Northeast side of Table mountain. Anyway, hope that helps.

Good luck!