Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leupold RX-1000

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Leupold RX-1000

I bought this rangefinder at Cabelas last fall. I checked out rangefinders from the cheap Bushnells and the Cabelas labeled ones, (also Bushnells I think), to the Leupolds, Zeiss was a strong runner up, and a peek through the Swarovski.

Cost was a limiting factor so I put down the Swarovski, the black LED on the Bushnells were suck city. I wont touch Nikkon, in fact took all my Nikkon products out back last year and used em for golf balls when they took their funding away from SFW.

So it came down to the Leupold at the time the RX-1000 was $349 and the TBR version was $399. (prices have changed since last fall sadly ) I looked over both. Decided I don't tree-stand, its not sporting enough, and don't care for the angle help at a $50 increase of cost.
    The bright red LED, the battery level indicator, the small size, and one button use. Loved all of it.
    The Zeiss were nice, but noone could get the $799 range finder to show me a battery meter. SERIOUS? it was out.

Leupold got my money.

Now here is why I took time to post this, now they everyone knows what things I looked at I am now having an issue with these.
    I get them to range it seems just fine up to 400-500 yards. Sometimes, and rarely so, I can get it to give me a reading out to 600 maybe 650 yards. The few times I have gotten a reading is on a freakin building.
    Don't get me wrong, I mean its nice to know how far a building is away sometimes, but for something labeled RX-1000, one would guess its a 1000 yrd capable device at best. That and I don't often find myself hunting in areas very often that have too many large buildings.
    Has anyone else had much exposure to range finders in the long range use. I primarily bow hunt, so the long range is not needed as much as wanted.
    I am still using the same battery that came with it, and have not really used it much at all other than the little play one does with new toys when they come out of a box. To be certain, I am planning on buying a new battery for it and see if its all just a matter of low battery, but the indicator shows full, so I think thats just going to produce the same results.
    Leupold says I can mail it to them and they will send it back after checking it out, but I want that to be my last option not my first.
    The last time I tried to get it to range something was a trackhoe that was out on a logging job. It was about 640 yards out, but I had to walk up about 40 - 50 yards closer before it would give me a reading. 598 yards out.
    In my mind a 1000 yard ranger should be able to read 10 tons of steel with ease within 1000 yards.
    Any help would be great.
    I hunt because......
    Check out my shops website!!! www.blackvelvetcustoms.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sounds like an issue. I have the Redfield and its good on a trackhoe sized object to 500 yards so I would hope a 1000 would be better than that. Did it work before or has it always been a little short sighted?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the RX II and have had similiar issues. I read the manual to try and figure it out and replaced the battery and nothing. I think it has a lot to do with light, reflective targets and particles in the air (rain, fog, dust, etc.) I have ranged my archery target at couldn't get it to read at 40 yards, then ranged the tree directly to the side of it and it worked. My friend has a Nikon Riflehunter and we did a side by side comparision. My next rangefinder will be a Nikon Riflehunter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well I dont know T. I never really did much with it this last fall. I bought it after a really bad bow season. I figured if I cant range by eye in the field bow hunting, I needed some help. I sent so many arrows over the top of stuff its not even funny.
    At home, I have a range set up, and unfortunately I know the distance at each shooting spot. Field ranging is not always so easy when you have an adrenaline rush messing with you.
    I played with it about the yard, ranged the neighbors, the dogs, a few elk and deer that wandered through the neighborhood this winter.

Then the other day I went out to go shoot the snow piles and wander the mud roads, so I took it with me. Its the first time I really tried to see what it could do. Like stated, its shoots distance perfectly so at short ranges. 200 yards or less. Just thought it would be fine out to longer ones too. I mean if its only going to read out to 600 yards, I could have saved some money on a less spendy version.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    when you have used it has there been snow on the ground? couple years ago i took my rx-ii on a late season cow hunt and there was about a foot of snow and i could only get it to ready 100 yards tops. then during the spring when the snow was gone it was working like new. i sold it and bought a nikon. no problems yet

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I live in McCall Idaho. There is lots of snow on the ground. I try not to think about the stuff this time of year and now Im all teared up again......
    But seriously yes, I have noticed the thing wont range snow if your life depends on it. Loves dense trees, but is sketchy on granite.
    At the elk feed lot here, it works very very well even through my windshield, but thats 100 yards and less.

I took some time and looked around on the internet. Seems to me most serious users of their gear have the same issues as I do with these Leupolds. I got what I paid for. Sad to say with the label Leupold on it though. I think sending it to them will result in not much more than wasted money on shipping it.
    Went to Cabelas.com to see the others and realized it was the Leicca model that my wife wanted not the Zeiss. I talked her into getting this one at half the money and a battery meter on the read out. Seriously guys, I, ME, a hunting addict, talked my wife out of spending more money on gear!!! WHY GOD AM I SO DENCE????

So for my bow trips it will do just fine. But now I am back to wanting a LRF that will make me happy.
    Adding it back to the gear want list now.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I actually had the opportunity to work with a variety of range finders, I used to work for Cabelas at their optics counter. The one thing that all range finders have in common, is the reading they give as to how far they will give an accurate reading is a reflective reading. Which means you will get farther readings on items with a large reflective sureface ex. buildings, rocks, vehicles. When you are trying to get a reading off of a smaller item with less reflective surfaces ex. deer, elk, antelope, brush pretty much anything that blends in take that reading and cut it by roughly half, and in cheaper models even more than that. Your higher end models ex. Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski will give you better readings out to farther distances, but anything mid range or below, you will run into the same problem no matter which one you buy. There will always be instances where one range finder might outshine another in the same line, but across the board; take what the manufacturer says on the reading and cut it in half and you will have a much more accurate idea on the capabalities of the range finder in real world hunting situations. I hope this helps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah that did help, as it pretty much sums up what I have found to be true with this one.
    I am headed down the hill in a week or so, and will be hitting that optics counter up.
    Anyone in the market for a good price on a nearly new Leupold?
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you have all the packaging (clean it up enough so it looks nice and fairly new) and (I would say you lost the reciept), I would look at taking it back to a Sportsman's Warehouse and ask if you could trade it (in-store credit) for a Nikon, yeah, I said it, a Nikon Monarch or Rifle Hunter. I had the same issues and more, with the RX II. I have ever since, changed all of my optics to Nikon, with the exception of my Leupold Mark AR Scope for my Bushmaster! If I were a rich man, I would have changed over to Swarovski or Leica.
    My heart belongs to the land my people, the Northern Cheyenne have fought and died for.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used all my Nikkons as golf balls, filmed it and mailed it to them.
    They ticked me off when they pulled needed funding from SFW here on our wolf issues. Nikkon can do unpleasant things to people I dont know and shouldnt talk about.
    I also still have my reciept, bought it from Cabelas, and would gladly buy a new one from Swarovski over cheat a store like Sportsmans Warehouse out of a nice product.
    Besides this year I spent over 2k at sportsmans in one shop, paid cash, then three weeks later they called me up to say I forgot my change of $8.13, they had to pull security tape on the counter to figure out who it was!!!
    That kind of customer service has me at a level of respect to them I will never say anything bad about them or do anything to them to tear them apart.
    I hunt because......