Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks guys for the replys. I hope to have more optics to compare soon. The Minox HG binos shipped today so I'm anxious to test them in the low light.

I'm getting married in September and registered at Cabelas. If I get enough gift cards to pay part of it I'm going to get a big spotter to use from the truck or on short hikes and keep my ED50 for the backcountry. My fiance is also a hunter and loves to ride with me to scout bucks from the truck, so she is ok with me getting high end optics as long as she gets to look through them too. I figure if I have 2 spotters and 2 good binos at least I'll get to use whichever ones she doesn't like as well. Sometimes when I'm working until after dark she goes alone or sometimes we split up when the days get short to cover more ground the last few minutes of light so extra good glass will help.

I should be sitting pretty good if I get the big spotter. I'll have my cheaper 8x minox to leave in the truck year round, my good HG 8x minox, my 13x minox for big eyes, my ED50 for a light packing spotter, and plans for a 20-60 with at least an 80mm objective for long range scouting/scoring. For my budget, that's a pretty decent line-up a cost of about $2300 plus whatever I spend on a big spotter. The $2300 is figuring like I paid everything in cash, some of that value was in my trades I sent SWFA. I've spent a while watching for deals and used SWFA's price match or Sample List to help afford some items also. Maybe someday I'll trade some of them on Swaro replacements, but I'm not on a Swaro budget now.
    Last edited by mcseal2; 08-03-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    dont get married and buy whatever the hell you want

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    dont get married and buy whatever the hell you want
    LOL ! I've been single for last 16 yrs. and I still can't afford new Swaro's !!!
    I bought my SL's many many yrs ago from Mid South Shooters Supply for $745.00 !!!
    U can't beat the Minox though !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love my Minox HG 10x43 binos. For the money I think they are the best value out there. Very sharp and clear and do much better than you would think in low light.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good advice from everyone!

I got the Minox HG's on Tuesday and they are very nice. The eye relief doesn't fit me quite right though, I need a little more eye relief. They low light performance is way better than anything I had tried so far though. I am going to return them and see if I can find something with a little more eye relief. I'm debating between getting another $1200 8x or returning the HG's and also trading in my Minox BL 13x56 get enough $ to afford Leica, Zeiss, or Swaro.

Another binocular that keeps popping up when I ask on the forums is the Steiner Peregrine XP, anyone have any experience with any of these?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A buddy of mine uses the Steiners but in the ratings I looked through before I bought my Minox, and I looked through a lot, the Steiners, when I could find them rated they ranked well but not as high as the Minox.

Sorry to hear about your issue with the eye relief. You do know the eye relief is adjustable by rotating the eyepieces, right?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah, I need it to come out one more click than it does on the eyepieces. I have to float them out in front of my face instead of resting them against my brow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just another update on the low light testing, and a correction from my earlier post.

Last night I spent an hour watching a group of whitetail feed across a soybean field with my fiance. They ranged from 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile from us, and there was a really tall mature 8pt and a 10pt that needs a year in the group. We had my Minox BVII 8x42 binos, my Minox BL 13x56 BR binos, and my Nikon ED50 spotter with the 13-30 zoom. Earlier in my original post I was impressed with the detail shown by the 13x Minox at low light looking out across the cornfield. I was less impressed last night trying to identify and evaluate antlers in the low light. It seemed like I was seeing plenty of detail when scanning the treeline etc, but when I really tried to focus on something specific like an antler it just didn't seem to show the detail I thought it would. It was difficult to tell the difference between the 2 larger bucks with them for me. The 8x cheaper Minox were good for spotting deer and I could tell if a deer was one of the larger bucks, but not which one. The little ED50 was amazing I thought. At 13x it showed more detail right up to the end of light than the 13x binos. The higher powers also stayed usable right up until about 8:30. At 13x I could still identify antlers until 8:49 but it was pretty much done by then. That little spotter continues to impress me each time I use it. I returned my Minox HG binos due to the eye relief issue I had with them and am replacing them with 8x56 Zeiss Victory binos I found used. I'm curious to see how they do in low light.

These are just my observations on what worked best for my eyes looking at actual animals. Figured since I changed my opinions from my earlier post I should update them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just another update on the low light testing, and a correction from my earlier post.

Last night I spent an hour watching a group of whitetail feed across a soybean field with my fiance. They ranged from 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile from us, and there was a really tall mature 8pt and a 10pt that needs a year in the group. We had my Minox BVII 8x42 binos, my Minox BL 13x56 BR binos, and my Nikon ED50 spotter with the 13-30 zoom. Earlier in my original post I was impressed with the detail shown by the 13x Minox at low light looking out across the cornfield. I was less impressed last night trying to identify and evaluate antlers in the low light. It seemed like I was seeing plenty of detail when scanning the treeline etc, but when I really tried to focus on something specific like an antler it just didn't seem to show the detail I thought it would. It was difficult to tell the difference between the 2 larger bucks with them for me. The 8x cheaper Minox were good for spotting deer and I could tell if a deer was one of the larger bucks, but not which one. The little ED50 was amazing I thought. At 13x it showed more detail right up to the end of light than the 13x binos. The higher powers also stayed usable right up until about 8:30. At 13x I could still identify antlers until 8:49 but it was pretty much done by then. That little spotter continues to impress me each time I use it. I returned my Minox HG binos due to the eye relief issue I had with them and am replacing them with 8x56 Zeiss Victory binos I found used. I'm curious to see how they do in low light.

These are just my observations on what worked best for my eyes looking at actual animals. Figured since I changed my opinions from my earlier post I should update them.

Here is a pic of the 8pt I was talking about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0034.jpg  

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Oops posted it twice, sorry.