Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unit 37 Elk any help?

My wife drew a unit 37 cow elk tag for Idaho this fall.

Anyone familiar with this unit? I heard there are wolves in the area, so we will pick up a couple of those tags. (we would be getting these anyway)

Any ideas of access, elk densities and what to expect? thx
    Last edited by meathunter; 07-23-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I hear the wolves aren't as bad there as some of the other units in that area, but that could just be rumors, When we go steel-head fishing up in Challis there are elk every where. Look at the Leatherman Peak area, Meadow Peak area and Grouse Peak area. It's big-big country so be prepared to cover some miles. Also for your bull tag look into the same areas!!
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

3. The Following User Says Thank You to woodtick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks woodtick and I'll be checking those areas out. I've seen a lot of elk there while steelhead fishing too and thought it would be a good area to check out in the fall. Like you say a big-big country so i'm hoping glassing will pay off.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Access should be pretty easy anywhere you go, and where it's private, you might get permission to hunt. Personally, what I would do with the cow tag is get high in the hills above the alfalfa fields first thing in the morning, and glass below in the fields. You will likely see something. They'll head back into the hills as it starts to get light. Maybe you'll be in a good position right then, but more likely you'll just note where the elk head up into the hills, and be there for the ambush the next morning.

You'll probably see a lot of road hunters with the same tag doing the same thing. But they'll be on the roads in the morning glassing the hillsides. If you're doing the opposite, and you're up in the hills to start with, you'll be one step ahead of the game.
    http://www.idahoman.com/ - an online, outdoors focused magazine, highlighting hunting, fishing, the land, and the issues surrounding those opportunities in Idaho.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IdahoHombre For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    +1 with idahohombre, let the road hunters do ther work for you for a cow. no need to hunt very hard for a cow but also no need to road hunt either

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sounds good to me, just not sure if there will be a lot of hunters - only 75 for the 2 month hunt. I like the idea of glassing from up on the hills and try an ambush. We're looking at going towards the end of Sept. just for the cooler temps. Picked up some maps showing roads and access.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    nice good luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Oh, you got the 37-1 tag. So you have to stay within one mile of cultivated fields anyway. You should be good with the ambush style hunt. If you can find any springs up in the hills above the fields, key in on those. The elk will retreat to where there's water. Good luck.
    http://www.idahoman.com/ - an online, outdoors focused magazine, highlighting hunting, fishing, the land, and the issues surrounding those opportunities in Idaho.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to IdahoHombre For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes, that's the one 37-1, although I have a Nov tag for 37. We're going to scout tomorrow and check it out, although the season officially opened last Wednesday. Doubt we'll pull the trigger yet, too warm out. Thanks for the tips!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thx IdahoHombre it worked! found their bed & water area about 2 miles from the field and did the ambush. Hiked back in about a 1/2 mile from the field. They came in right at dusk and we were sitting waiting. A 150 elk leave a big trail to and from each day! well 1 less cow in that group