Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i've tried the barnes triple shock in my 300, it didnt like it, which led me to the bergers. I may try some hornady interlocks. had good luck with them in my 243. is a sheeps hide similar to a deer or antelope? I was shooting a 168 berger through my 300 and have never a large exit wound in any of them. The only reason i went to the 185 is i got a Huskamaw scope and get more yards out of the turret.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    They both will do the job, I would consider which one you are more comfortable with, and going on a sheep hunt one might consider weight.
    x 2 good advice right there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My dall sheep in grizz country rifle would be a semi light 300wsm.

which is lighter? which are you more comfy with?

neither gun with a TSX bullet will destroy a cape I don't think.

Isn't it time for a new sheep rifle anyway ?? haha.
    lightweight 280rem?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    kida overlooked the thought of thought of running into a griz. Thinking the 300 is the way to go. the wife my feed me to a griz if i got a new rifle

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Don't tell her.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey sdcowboy,
    Figured I'd jump in. I myself would go with the 300 wim mag . flatter shooting especially with heavier bullets. Like Bitteroot and others, I'd shoot Barnes TTSX or TSX. I know you said they didn't work well . If you are thinking of Hornady Interlock, I'd think more of the Hornady Interbond. Tougher bullet IMO. I've shot both and the Interbond will not come apart like the Interlok. Also the Nosler Accubond or Swift Sirroco. They are both bonded also. The Barnes TTSX and TSX and Accubond 180 gr. are extremely accurate of of my 300 RUM. The Interbond is pretty good and the Scirroco not very good. The Barnes 168 gr. TTSX and TSX match . They shot very good also. I shot my desert bighorn with a Barnes TSX at 306 yds. He did an endo and was DOS.
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 08-02-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i forgot about the sirroco. my 300 will shoot the 165s nicely. I even have a few. Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A friend of mine(lazy j bar o outfits name) is an outfitter in Alaska and all he uses on anything are 180 gr bergers out of his 7mm mag. I have never heard of any problems of him destroying capes. Also one of my snowmobile buddies guides for him and saids any more he prefers to see guys with bergers because they generally don't leave an exit wound. Also due to fragmentions of bullet a poor hit generally turns into a dead animal sooner. I also know though that they are tied to the best of west guys some how, so may be salemanship. I have used bergers for about 8 years now and am starting to perfer them to anything. I also know that your guide would have gun just for taking care of bears. So you should be fine if you want to go with lesser caliber. I have know two guys who went after dall sheep and the outfitters told them to go with the heavier caliber in both cases. I still think though that they perfer whichever gun you shoot better. Contact your outfitter and see what he recommends. I know they always like to see the stuff that works well for them in past show up with client.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by boulderbeardog View Post
    A friend of mine(lazy j bar o outfits name) is an outfitter in Alaska and all he uses on anything are 180 gr bergers out of his 7mm mag. I have never heard of any problems of him destroying capes. Also one of my snowmobile buddies guides for him and saids any more he prefers to see guys with bergers because they generally don't leave an exit wound. Also due to fragmentions of bullet a poor hit generally turns into a dead animal sooner. I also know though that they are tied to the best of west guys some how, so may be salemanship. I have used bergers for about 8 years now and am starting to perfer them to anything. I also know that your guide would have gun just for taking care of bears. So you should be fine if you want to go with lesser caliber. I have know two guys who went after dall sheep and the outfitters told them to go with the heavier caliber in both cases. I still think though that they perfer whichever gun you shoot better. Contact your outfitter and see what he recommends. I know they always like to see the stuff that works well for them in past show up with client.
    That's a good point there BBD. The Berger's probably have a lot less chance on exiting. The Barnes on the other hand have a lot more chance on exiting and could have two holes instead of one. I've seen taxidernist do some great work on holes I've had in capes.
    I would still lean to the flatter shooter.
    sdcowboy,
    I should send you my Scirroco's .I've tried a lot of different powder combinations and never come close to the Barnes or Accubond. I weigh all the Barnes too. They have weight varience problems...Not Nosler and Hornady though.
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 08-02-2012 at 04:06 PM.