Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Muzzleloader recommendations?

I am in the market for a new 50 cal muzzleloader and wanted to hit you guys up on what you like. I would like one that is easy to clean. I used to have a Knight that took a long time to clean and had a ton of small parts that would be easy to lose in the field.

Are there any guns that shoot further than another? Barrel length etc?

Thanks for your tips.

Brady

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    How much do you want to spend, and what state are you going to hunt?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Their are a lot of good muzzleloaders on the market now and most of them are pretty easy to clean. Can you give us some more info on what your wanting to do with the muzzleloader as far as hunting style? How far do you want to shoot? What type of game are you looking to hunt with it?? Do you want smokeless or do you just want a normal inline? There are a lot of other questions one could ask yet figured this would get us started.

I am finishing up a smokeless build. I've been using a muzzleloader since the mid 90's and figured I would try the smokeless route this year can wait to start shooting. Once you get the bug you won't be able to quit!

Nebraska Outlander

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 6 Posts
    Hey Brady, I've muzzleloader hunted for about 25 years, and had three Knight rifles. They are excellent rifles, but as you mentioned a lot of parts to clean. Get yourself a break action muzzleloader!

For years I thought break action muzzleloaders looked kinda dorky, but last year I bought one and I'll have to say...that is definitely the way to go! When it comes to cleaning, you just break the action open, remove the breach plug and you have a straight shot to clean the barrel. You have almost no residue on the face where the firing pin is and so it just takes minimal wiping with solvent to clean. There is plenty of space to insert the 209 primer and when the action is closed the primer is well protected from the weather. The rifle feels shorter (since there is no bolt) and it is fast handling.

The rifle I bought was a CVA Accura. It is very accurate, in a large part due to the Bergara barrel. Bergara consulted with Ed Schilen who manufactures some of the most accurate barrels available. The new CVA Accura V2 has a breach plug that can even be removed with your fingers, which takes the ease of cleaning one step further. The trigger on the CVA Accura may be one of the best triggers factory triggers I have ever shot...it is sweet. I would whole heartedly recommend it. Go on You Tube and you can look up a few videos on that rifle.

From what I have heard, another excellent break action muzzleloader is the Thompson Center Encore. I have never shot one. With the Encore you can always get alternate centerfire barrels as well. The Encore apparently has to be bought from a dealer with a FFL (Federal Firearms License), but TC also makes another slightly different version that is exclusively a muzzleloader and can be ordered on-line.

Both of these rifles open the break action by pulling back on the trigger guard. That feature is slick, and intuitive.

I think either the CVA Accura V2 or the TC Encore would both be excellent muzzleloading rifles to consider.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have been shooting a TC Encore since they first came out. If you take the time to find the right load they can be really nice shooters. I compromised a little on accuracy for ease of loading but my gun will still put 5 shots in 1.5" or less at 100 yards every time if I do my part. I have shot targets at 200 yards quite a bit and killed a deer at 205, my longest shot ever at a whitetail.

Bob

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with picking a CVA. The most accurate ML i've ever owned. I've had the Accura V2, Optima, and Wolf. They all shot MOA. I'm waiting now for a new Accura Mountain Rifle that just came out. Hopefully it comes before this ML season starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ZDH...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tPga...eature=related
    Last edited by Old Hunter; 07-24-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the help guys.

I would like to hunt mulies and elk with a muzzleloader in multiple states in the west and Kansas. For some reason I'm thinking in Texas that you can't shoot smokeless powder. Anyone know if this is true in TX or anywhere out west? I would like to shoot a muzzleloader as far as reasonably possible. I shoot my .270 out to 500 yards. I know that some states have seasons that allow you to use a scope and some that are iron sights only. I'll deal with that when the time comes. It seems like in some states they have early or late season muzzleloader hunts that are better quality hunts than the rifle dates.

When I had my Knight, I just used a couple of the Pyrodex pellets and called it good. Are those pellets good enough to use for accuracy etc or in general do you need to see what your individual rifle will do with different powder combos?

Price does not matter, I'm not married yet (it's coming next year though) haha.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can only speak for Colorado. Here you can't use a scope, pellets, smokeless, or sabots. The ML season is the 2nd week in Sept in the beginning of the rut. (hopefully)

So, your limit here for distance will be the iron sights. You can use a peep sight, and fiber optics.

I recommend the Thor bullet, and BH 209 powder. Both of which work beautifully in the CVA Accura.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would like to shoot 250 yards with a muzzleloader. I've seen on the Long Range Pursuit tv show that they have a muzzleloader that will shoot 500 yards but I'm sure it's crazy expensive.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    About $5000, and recoil from hell.

The idea of hunting with a muzzleloader is to accept the challenge of limited distance. That's why you get to hunt during the rut here. Trying to turn it into a CF gun is not something I agree with.