Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Wolf is a good gun. I have one all setup for an elk hunt this year. Very accurate gun. I have an Accura MR coming, but if it doesn't make it in time for ML season. The Wolf will be fine.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    The Wolf is a good gun. I have one all setup for an elk hunt this year. Very accurate gun. I have an Accura MR coming, but if it doesn't make it in time for ML season. The Wolf will be fine.

Old Hunter, i shouldered the TC and the Wolf earlier at the gun shop and the Wolf seemed "generic" in the way the butt fit into my shoulder, seems really narrow. I know this is not they're highest model but should that concern me in leering me towards the TC?
    I guess my question is why would you get the Accura if the Wolf performs as good as you say it does? Not busting your chops, just curious as you have more experience with this gun than I do. I liked the break action on the Wolf over the Impact, the other nice thing on the Wolf is the removable breech plug while the Impact needs the tool for removal. Thanks for the input!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I needed a gun to hunt with. I couldn't take the chance that the Accura would be in before ML season starts. I'm still not sure i'll have it.

However, I have no problem hunting with the Wolf. It fits me good. Better than any TC, because TC guns have an LOP that's too short for me.

If I was forced to hunt with the Wolf for the rest of my life. I wouldn't be upset.

My Wolf.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Bigshot, have you shot your CVA Wolf yet? I was curious about them cause my brother is in the market for a new muzzleloader for the upcoming season. Was looking at the TC Impact, CVA Wolf, or the Traditions Buckstalker. Thanks for the input guys!
    Sorry Jay, I just noticed your post. I have not shot my Wolf yet. Still in the process of buying everything. I just received my new breach plug from Western Powder Co. for their BH209 Powder, and waiting for the Thor bullet sizing kit. I was only able to find some Federal 209A primers to start out with, so gonna see how they work until I can find some CCI Mag or Fiochi. So I'm still in the process, but when I do I'll post the results on here.

I also purchased an older mountain rifle type CVA muzzle loader and I believe the barrel twist is more designed for round balls. I'm planning on getting the Wolf set up first then work on the old Mountain rifle.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Bigshot: I'm using Fiocchi (#616) 209 primers in my CVA Accura. I typically have to clean the carbon out of my breech plug every 20 to 30 shots. I am going to experiment with more frequent cleaning to fine tune accuracy.

Here is a very good blog on some issues to consider when selecting a 209 primer.

http://blog.cva.com/muzzleloader-cva-accura/

Here are two good posts on the Blackhorn 209 website on recommended primers:

http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/primers/

http://www.blackhorn209.com/2011/10/...blackhorn-209/

Some common issues in using Blackhorn 209:

1) One problem when shooting Blackhorn 209, is having a primer that is not hot enough. Avoid special muzzleloading 209 primers.

2) Another problem is having a primer that is too "hot" and the primer itself exerts too much pressure on the load and pushes the bullet up the barrel before the powder ignites. This has its own set of ignition and accuracy problems.

3) Also as Old Hunter mentioned, the breech plug needs to be Blackhorn 209 compatible. Many breech plugs can be modified. In the past, the guys at Western Powders (Blackhorn 209 manufacturer) have been helpful with this.

4) Make sure you keep the breech plug clean. Occasionally use a close fitting drill to chase the carbon build up, and a torch tip cleaner to keep the fire channel open. Some guys are going to rifle primers in a 209 adapter to avoid this carbon build up. I have not tried this yet but it looks promising. Here is a link on that solution:

http://www.prbullet.com/lrvf.htm

TROUBLESHOOTING: There should really be no noticeable delay between the "hammer falling" and the load going off. If there is, you need to chase the problem down, and it is typically one of the four things above.

It is definitely worth working through the issues. My Accura worked right off the bat with the Fiocchi primers. Blackhorn 209 is awesome powder and definitely worth the effort to get dialed in.
    Hey Umpqua Hunter, thanks for the information I found it very good reading!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    The Federal primers will work fine with the Western Powder BP. They'll even work with the stock BP if you have the headspace adjusted for a tight fit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    sounds good, thanks for the info guys!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    I needed a gun to hunt with. I couldn't take the chance that the Accura would be in before ML season starts. I'm still not sure i'll have it.

However, I have no problem hunting with the Wolf. It fits me good. Better than any TC, because TC guns have an LOP that's too short for me.

If I was forced to hunt with the Wolf for the rest of my life. I wouldn't be upset.

My Wolf.

You just have that scope on your Wolf for grins, right. Scopes are illegal to use during muzzleloading season in Colorado but you already know that.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes, I do, but I have a special license that lets me use a scope due to poor eyesight.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 1 Post
    I have switched my muzzleloader to a 45 smokeless. Lets me extend my range out past 400 and still legal here in Nebraska. As far as other states not sure this would work however it might work in some. Another thing is I don't have to clean this very much any more and the cost is almost or more than half of what it used to cost.

Let us know what you decide on a gun!!

Nebraska Outlander