Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Great conversations guys! Keep the info/opinions coming.

Thanks
    Brady

Banned
    Thanks
    Here's my latest CVA Accura MR. I really like it, and it fits me perfect.

The target is my sight in the first time I shot the gun. The three lower right shots were with two scope adjustments. It wasn't moving towards the bull fast enough, so the last shot I moved it a bunch, and hit the sweet spot.

BH 209 90gr, Thor 250gr bullet, CCI 209M primer, 100yds, Scope set on 1.5X

Thanks
    Not bad for an old guy. Haha Just kidding!

Banned
    Thanks
    Yeah, but it's true.

Thanks
    Didn't think it would take you too long to respond. That is a sweet looking setup. I keep trying to talk myself into buying one. I already have a T/C Encore so all I have to do is buy a barrel.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Yes, I do, but I have a special license that lets me use a scope due to poor eyesight.
    Hey Old Hunter, I just read this thread for the first time in a while and saw this. What the Hell, I read your post # 10 and your post # 14 and then I see that you get to use a scope on your ML! WTF I don't know the specifics of your poor eyesight and am sorry for your condition but that justifies you to use a scope on a ML? So you take your handicap and turn it around and now you get to have an advantage over all other ML hunters. How does that work? Could you have just hunted with a CF rifle, where scopes are legal ? I don't agree with this and am not sure how others see this but now I see why you are a black powder fanatic. Yesterday was opening day for ML here in Colorado, Good luck using your "primitive weapon" !

Banned
    Thanks
    Truth is, I broke a rib last week and turned my tag in for an OTC 2nd rifle tag. Yes, i'll use the ML for it. I always do hunt the ML in rifle seasons. I hunted with open sights for 59 years, and would prefer to still do it. Last year was my last year using open sights I shot a cow elk with an old Hawken and a PRB. Target and sights were very blurry, and I told myself I would do it again. To be fair to the game.

I've always hunted the rifle seasons with a ML, because I don't like the ML season. It's too hot for me. The only reason I was going to do it this year is some friends wanted to hunt with me in my unit, and they were hunting the ML season. So, the DOW gave me a license to use a scope in ML season. My eye doctor had to fill out a form explaining my condition. Which is completely blind in my right eye, and cataract in my left eye plus a few other problems. They won't operate on it, because it it goes wrong I could end up blind. So, I just have to deal with blurry vision. It's become much worse in the last year, and there was no way I could chance using open sights anymore.

I refuse to put a scope on a sidelock, so that why I went to an inline. My plan was always to hunt the rifle season with it. As it turned out. I'll be still doing it. I'm resting up my rib, and plan to go out with my friend to help him get a bull. carrying a backpack and gun is out of a question, but I can still hike, so I can help him out. It will be his first bull if we can get one.

Too bad you don't understand the word handicap.

Banned
    Thanks
    Let me add that i'm not looking for an advantage. I only still hunt timber, and my shots are close. I leave the scope on 1.5X all the time. All I wanted was the sights and target in focus.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post

Too bad you don't understand the word handicap.
    OH I don't want to turn this into a handicap issue. I just want to know how your handicap is turned into an advantage over all other ML's. If you want to use a scope on a ML during rifle season and it is the right temperature for you then by all means challange yourself but I think a scoped ML during ML season is taking advantage of the system. Take thge high road!

Banned
    Thanks
    I think someone with good eyesight has an advantage over me. I don't shoot this coped ML and better than I did when I had good eyesight with open sights.

If someone with good eyesight used a scope to take 300yd shots. He's have an advantage. I see no advantage for what I do. Actually it's still an advantage to use open sights with good eyesight at my ranges. I used to be able to get on the target much faster than I can now.

Putting all that aside. I care more about being able to take humane shots than what you think. The DOW feels the same way.

Guys using compound bows with sights have an advantage of someone using a longbow. Why don't you go rag on them too? Maybe you can rag on the guy with one arm who uses a crossbow in archery season too.

I think you you should worry about staying healthy yourself, instead of what someone else it doing.