Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've been shooting BP in competition for over 20 years. I used to shoot 1000 yard matches with a Sharps and am a Cowboy Action Shooter, shooting 2 to 3 times a month. I shoot somewhere around 2000 rounds a month in matches and practice. Granted I shoot BP cartridge mostly, not M/Lers. But cleanup is very simple (I use water and a touch of simple green). I actually think BP loading is easier than smokeless. Think about it, had to be so the cowboys and buffalo hunters could load their own without a lot of tools. I have also never had a problem with misfires/nonfires when I use my front stuffer. Sure its not a flintlock and does use 209 primers, but if you follow a few simple rules, you won't have much of a problem with ignition in wet weather. I use a balloon over the muzzle to keep the water out...remove prior to shooting of course. The biggest problem I have with moisture is with the trigger mechanism, get a film of rust on it and gets sticky when it gets wet. Thats why I'm getting a new M/L.

The big advantage to M/L hunting here in Colorado is that I get to hunt during the rut. I'm not a bow hunter, never was and never will be. The biggest problem I have see is the attitude of the bowhunters, they don't want the M/L hunters to intrude on THEIR season. Sharing with them is ok with me, hell they could even bowhunt during rifle season too. Makes me no difference.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by dying to kill View Post
    the one were the 4 year old seen it he had his gun settin by the house door and when some one walked threw it they slammed the door the gun fell and went off, the other a guy was out with his son set the gun on hood of truck it fell off and went off as well, i know they shouldnt have still had their primers in, and i am pretty sure both the models were the inline type that use a a big spring behind the firing bolt instead of the new safer ones that break open like a single shot shot gun, but still i dont much trust them!
    I'm going to guess they were the plunger type. The have an unusual safety. I bet they weren't set. Muzzleloaders are just as safe as CF guns if you practice safe handling.

It's too bad what happened, but I wouldn't just blame the guns.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I've been shooting BP in competition for over 20 years. I used to shoot 1000 yard matches with a Sharps and am a Cowboy Action Shooter, shooting 2 to 3 times a month. I shoot somewhere around 2000 rounds a month in matches and practice. Granted I shoot BP cartridge mostly, not M/Lers. But cleanup is very simple (I use water and a touch of simple green). I actually think BP loading is easier than smokeless. Think about it, had to be so the cowboys and buffalo hunters could load their own without a lot of tools. I have also never had a problem with misfires/nonfires when I use my front stuffer. Sure its not a flintlock and does use 209 primers, but if you follow a few simple rules, you won't have much of a problem with ignition in wet weather. I use a balloon over the muzzle to keep the water out...remove prior to shooting of course. The biggest problem I have with moisture is with the trigger mechanism, get a film of rust on it and gets sticky when it gets wet. Thats why I'm getting a new M/L.

The big advantage to M/L hunting here in Colorado is that I get to hunt during the rut. I'm not a bow hunter, never was and never will be. The biggest problem I have see is the attitude of the bowhunters, they don't want the M/L hunters to intrude on THEIR season. Sharing with them is ok with me, hell they could even bowhunt during rifle season too. Makes me no difference.
    That's a sore spot with me too. The bow hunters get a month, and we get 9 days in ML season. They can choose to hunt with us, or not. They still have 3 weeks if they choose to not hunt with us. If they're not happy talk to the DOW. All we can do as ML hunters is hunt when the DOW tells us we can hunt.

To be honest. If I had my way. I'd let the bow hunters have their season the way it is. Then give us the 9 days after bow season ends, and before 1st rifle season begins. There's room on the calendar to do that. Then we'd be in the rut better, and the weather would be a bit cooler. Just a dream though. DOW never listens.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    I'm going to guess they were the plunger type. The have an unusual safety. I bet they weren't set. Muzzleloaders are just as safe as CF guns if you practice safe handling.

It's too bad what happened, but I wouldn't just blame the guns.
    You are 100% correct! Gun safety is gun safety, no matter what kind it is.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I finally pulled the trigger on a rifle! My dad drew a Kansas mule deer tag so I burned my cabelas club visa points and bought a CVA Optima V2 .50 cal. It's the one with a thumb hole, scope, and the stock is camo. Pretty nice looking to me. I will shoot it for the first time this weekend.

Thanks for all of your help!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Was shooting my new TC Pro Hunter yesterday. Shoots great, but I still need a lot more range time with it.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I finally pulled the trigger on a rifle! My dad drew a Kansas mule deer tag so I burned my cabelas club visa points and bought a CVA Optima V2 .50 cal. It's the one with a thumb hole, scope, and the stock is camo. Pretty nice looking to me. I will shoot it for the first time this weekend.

Thanks for all of your help!
    Excellent muzzy! They are excellent shooters. I use 100gr blackhorn209, .500" 250gr Thor conical in ours.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    Excellent muzzy! They are excellent shooters. I use 100gr blackhorn209, .500" 250gr Thor conical in ours.
    I was debating between the Accura V2, but is there much difference between that and the Optima v@? I appreciate the feedback on the bullet recommendations, as when I do finally make the purchase, that will be my next step. I haven't had much time to research bullets yet, and have been more into the actual guns. I found muzzle-loaders.com to be very helpful. Are you using open sights or a scope on your Optima?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by northeast_hunter View Post
    I was debating between the Accura V2, but is there much difference between that and the Optima v@? I appreciate the feedback on the bullet recommendations, as when I do finally make the purchase, that will be my next step. I haven't had much time to research bullets yet, and have been more into the actual guns. I found muzzle-loaders.com to be very helpful. Are you using open sights or a scope on your Optima?
    I am using a scope. If I ever hunt CO then obviously I'll take it off

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like CVA also. I have a kodiak. It is a cheaper model but it has worked out well for the 10 or so years I have owned it. The optics I have on it are were more costly than the gun. I also shoot 150 grains of pydrodex. That seems like alot but it has helped out with accuracy especially at the range. Tough keeping it clean though.