Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: D14 bucks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyE View Post
    Hey guys, I was wondering, for next year, does anyone know of a good place to take deer for processing? If so, what is the average cost? Thanks for any advise
    It depends were you live..... There's a place in San Jacinto called cliffs meats. That's where I go. The price varies depends on how you want your meat processed and what you want made.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 3 Posts
    I take mine to Pomona Meat Processing they make great hot dogs with cheese and jalapeno peppers....yummy. They charge about $80.00 for the meat processing and about $20.00 for 10 pounds of hotdogs (Well worth the price!).
    Last edited by bigshot; 11-26-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I went to Franks wholesale in San Bernardino this year as a referral and it looks like I got hosed! $4.50 a lb. Althought all his cuts were perfect, jerky is amazing, and very good sausage, $500 is a bit outrageous!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Hey guys, I was wondering, for next year, does anyone know of a good place to take deer for processing? If so, what is the average cost? Thanks for any advise
    Guys I have a suggestion.....do your own. It is not that hard to do/learn and you get to control the quality and have the cuts you want. You really never know if you are getting your own meat back at a processor. I was burned back in the 80's in Wyoming and have never had a processor since then.

Just sayin.........
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I went to Franks wholesale in San Bernardino this year as a referral and it looks like I got hosed! $4.50 a lb. Althought all his cuts were perfect, jerky is amazing, and very good sausage, $500 is a bit outrageous!
    What did you take him an elk! LOL, that is really high. I usually get 10lbs of smoked jerky, 10lbs of smoked summer sausage, back strap filets and the rest ground into different types of breakfast sausages and ground meat for burgers and meatloaf's. It's never been over $175. With out any jerky or summer sausage, its usually around $120 depending on how much it weighs.
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I did my own this year, but it dose take some time to cut off a lot of the silver skin and prepare it for packing. If I don't have the time to do it, it's well worth the price to drop it off at the butcher......... if you have a good one. I've been going to my butcher for the last five years and always give him a good tip. I've never had a problem with them taking care of me. Heck he will even meet me over there after hours and the days they are closed to drop off a animal.
    Last edited by Muleys 24/7; 11-27-2013 at 03:23 PM.
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Did we turn this into a butcher thread?? I was hoping to see some more D14 bucks!
    -NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    "...I did my own this year, but it dose take some time to cut off a lot of the silver skin and prepare it for packing...."

I have never heard of a butcher taking the time to do that.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I got hosed in Colorado on an elk I had taken in for me while on a drop camp in 1993. Got back and the butcher never touched it. Just froze the quarters, etc. Took home and cut up. Took a buck to Cherry Valley Meat Locker in 1985. He lost the whole deer. I knew him well too. I think he ground it up for meals at his 3D archery shoots he put on. Last times hosed was this scam they use on out of state hunter's calling it a rush and charging you an extra 100 bucks. happened in Wy. 2003 and 2005. Have done my own since 1979 to present unless I have no option. I agree it can be a lot of work. I've done 8 elk at home. It's a 3 day affair for me and swear everytime never again !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntWYODon View Post
    I got hosed in Colorado on an elk I had taken in for me while on a drop camp in 1993. Got back and the butcher never touched it. Just froze the quarters, etc. Took home and cut up. Took a buck to Cherry Valley Meat Locker in 1985. He lost the whole deer. I knew him well too. I think he ground it up for meals at his 3D archery shoots he put on. Last times hosed was this scam they use on out of state hunter's calling it a rush and charging you an extra 100 bucks. happened in Wy. 2003 and 2005. Have done my own since 1979 to present unless I have no option. I agree it can be a lot of work. I've done 8 elk at home. It's a 3 day affair for me and swear everytime never again !
    It is a lot of work, but you know what you have, as it has never left your possession from the time of kill. No "mixed meat" like you get from the volume Colorado processors, no hair, no dirt, etc., and (hopefully) you will never lose your own deer. I bought a Gamesaver (HD Foodsaver) a couple of years ago, which is something that I swore I would never do, but a bargain price of a SHOT Show sample changed my mind. Sorry that I did not get one sooner. My previous method was one wrap with clear food grade plastic wrap (nor saran wrap), and two wrappings with coated butcher paper. That takes a tremendous amount of time with a big deer or bear, and an eternity with an elk. I can accomplish the same thing with the Gamesaver in one-third the time using HD bags and vacuum seal. Even faster last year because I convinced one of my grand-daughters how much fun it was, and she did all of the vacuum sealing, plus I already have volunteers for this year.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA