Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Caching Supplies for the Season

We are considering packing into our hunting area to scout and we've thought of taking a cache of food, etc in this summer. The question is, does anyone have experience in a container that could be buried in the rocks and if prevent rodents and or the like from getting into our goodies.
    I'd like to hear of containers that are packable, maybe something light as aluminum or a tuff plastic?

Thanks
    Fetch

Thanks
    Counter Assault's Bear Keg may be a good choice. Seems to me they make a three gallon one and it was something like 3 lbs. I think you can store 6-8 days worth of food in it. Pretty sure they are molded of a polymer blend and run about 80 bucks.

Thanks

Thanks

I appreciate the product name and suggestion. I'm going to look up the product.

Again, many thanks
    Fetch

Thanks
    Could a bear get it and move it from the place you hid it? Just wondering. Cause if it could smell it I think a bear would try to open it and it might not be where you left it after weeks or months.
    "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

Thanks
    looks to me like it could be moved by them. not sure if it has some way to strap a chain to it or not. I have heard of backpackers and forest personnel using them in the National Parks. guess the pluss side of it is their bright yellow. dig a hole find a big rock and hope for the best. I'm thinking you don't want to place it near a drop-off or you may hike out hungry if the bear bats your canister down a cliff. BearVault BV500 might be an option too...hope this helps

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sticknbiggens View Post
    looks to me like it could be moved by them. not sure if it has some way to strap a chain to it or not. I have heard of backpackers and forest personnel using them in the National Parks. guess the pluss side of it is their bright yellow. dig a hole find a big rock and hope for the best. I'm thinking you don't want to place it near a drop-off or you may hike out hungry if the bear bats your canister down a cliff. BearVault BV500 might be an option too...hope this helps
    I'm thinking about burying it in shallow water in one of the lakes up there....that'd cover the scent. Placing a pile of rocks over it to conceal it should do the trick.

Lots of great help from you all and it's appreciated.

Fetch
    Fetch

Thanks
    If you want to go in the cheap get a couple of surplus ammo cans. find one with a good seal so it's air tight. It's always a good idea to check on it before you need it and if it has disappeared your not out all that much.

Thanks
    Good idea Fetch!
    "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T43 View Post
    If you want to go in the cheap get a couple of surplus ammo cans. find one with a good seal so it's air tight. It's always a good idea to check on it before you need it and if it has disappeared your not out all that much.
    sounds like a good idea too,might just have to try that. Now I just need to find a use for the 15 or so spare gas cans floating around here.

Thanks
    Im thinking about making a PVC tube that i can stuff some MTNhouses in and some fuel. A 2' chunk of 6" or 8" if i can find it. solid cap one end and put a threaded cap on the other. should only cost about $10-15. Ill camo it and string it between two trees.