Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for a new day pack

I'm in the market for a new day pack. I'm looking for a pack for hauling rain gear and various articles of my layering system along with other typical hunting items i.e. spotting scope, lunch, etc. This pack may also be used for packing out a quarter or possible head and cape on the first load as I have my external frame for all the heavy lifting. One thing to keep in mind is the shoulder strap, as I typically keep my rifle slung over my right shoulder and have found bulky shoulder straps to be uncomfortable.

Thanks,

Graybird
    Vegetarian = old Indian word for Bad hunter

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 1 Post
    Any pack capable of packing out an elk quarter will likely have pretty stout straps. I like my Eberlestock J34 when I am carrying optics and several layers but usually keep the rifle in the scabbard. It is a little wider than I like for carrying a rifle long distances slung. I recently got a little sling clip that really helps that though. When I want to go real light I use a Camelback Stryker that only weighs a couple pounds and carries 1280ci. It isn't really enough when you start adding a spotter and tripod though most times though. The Sitka Bivy 20 might fit your needs also.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been looking at either the Eberlestock X2, Sitka Flash 20 or the Tenzing TZ 2220. Has anyone tried one of the Tenzing packs?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i have an eberlestock x2 my only complaint is that the internal frame can be nosy while moving but a lil athletic tapes fixed that and i would also check out tenzing but have no experience with those packs but ive heard great things about them also rumor is and i think on jasons blog on the kuiu website is that hes going to be coming out with a day pack so that also could be an option theres ppl on this forum im sure that have the larger packs from kuiu and have no complaints.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I read somewhere that the Kuiu daypack isn't going to be available until the 2013 season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I don't know why more people don't talk about Sitka's Flash 20. It looks absolutely incredible for exactly the use you described. My pack is just a hybrid fanny pack but I don't carry optics or rain gear etc. If I do buy a pack to make the next step up (day pack that will carry a little more and carry a spotting scope, it would definitely be a Flash 20. This is all speculation as I don't actually own it and have no first hand info, but this would be the pack for me. I would also like to see what they have brewing over at Kuiu.
    Can't spell scum without U&M... Go 'Cats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Mystery Ranch "Big Horn"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Give the Hornhunter packs a look. They are built great and have an unconditional no questions asked warranty. Their straps are not that thick either. Real comfortable. I have the mainbeam, mainbeam xl, and the full curl system. I like them all for their intended uses. For you and what you want to carry, I would recommend the Mainbeam xl. Don't let the price fool you either. These packs will perform as good or better than packs costing twice as much. Some of mine have thousands of miles on them now and are still going strong. Great packs.
    "For its in these mountains that I long to be, where I can hear God whisper down the creek and through the trees. Just one sunset and I know you'd think the same. Watch your worries fade 'neath a rocky mountain rain."
    Obsession Bows Pro-staff. "Fuel the Obsession"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 1 Post
    I was looking at Cabelas website yesterday and the new Badlands Stealth pack looks pretty well designed at under 2lbs. Might not be stout enough to pack much meat first trip, but I bet you could load the backstraps in it and carry the head/cape over your shoulders. It was listed at 1750ci so it might have room for optics also depending on what you pack.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I use an Eberlestock X1E for exactly the use you describe. I carry my rifle in the scabbard though, not on a sling. It will haul lunch, rain gear, knee and elbow pads, a spotter and tripod, hydration bladder and game bags going in and I can add a boned out pronghorn with head and cape on the way back out.

Bob