Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I agree with you guys on Montana. I have a good friend who would like me to come to Montana and hunt but the buying of a license just to get in the draw is too screwey for me. It might make sense for some but not for me. I think most G & F are pricing out of state tags right to the point that the revenue works out in their favor. Raise the tag costs and a lot fewer hunters apply or buy tags and their revenue goes the other way. It happens with everything you buy, it is about what the market will bear.I'm lucky I live in Colorado where instate fees are more than fair and we have just about anything you want to hunt. I have hunted in other states but it is hard to beat the deal I get here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    $66k, big whoop. The per capita income in the state is in the low 50's. You can go drive a truck in the oil field with nothing more than a high school diploma for $60 - $70k. Cleaning up the Fed's mess with bears and wolves are some of the bigger expenses draining the G&F budget. The G&F can certainly cut some fat and they should, however license fee increases will happen and it'll be sooner than later.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    There is always a point at which price increases become counterproductive by driving off too many customers. The revenue loss is more than what you gain from the higher prices. Just simple economics. I think many Game and Fish departments are just about there.
    Have you looked at the non resident draw odds in Wyoming lately? Demand for most antelope, deer and elk area's far exceeds supply. The way to bring it into equilibrium is charge more. That's if you're talking simple economics...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I find it funny that people always cry the "cut the wages" chant anytime there is a money issue............unless they happen to be in that field. You never hear someone say "cut my wage" it is always "cut someones elses wage"..............just an observation over the years.

my wife faced a similar situation as a teacher in Wisconsin. many people were shouting for cuts in pay, even some people with govt jobs in different areas. They sang a different tune when their budgets and salaries were cut. and..........when several small businesss closed in our small town due to lack of sales, shortly after all these cuts, they cried fowl too.

the moral is people who have money, spend money. poor people don't spend money. cut wages so everyone is poor, and we all suffer.
    Last edited by Ilovethewest; 08-09-2013 at 06:34 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Wow.....a game warden makes more than I did as 2LT leading a recon PLT in AFG, and makes almost as much as I do now as a Major in the US Army?!?! I might have to consider a career move, probably pretty much the same risk patrolling during the first weekend of antelope gun season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    but this is a state issue, and I am not a WY resident, so this is your guys fight. My only stake in this is non-resident tags fees. as a member of a family who has spent tens of thousands of dollars in tag fees in Wyo since the 50's, it is a shame that we contantly get hammered with high tag fees. There is a reason I do not hunt Montana.

as in most cases, some Middle Ground needs to be found that spreads out the pain and benefits all parties involved.

Have a good day everyone!!!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhunter View Post
    Wow.....a game warden makes more than I did as 2LT leading a recon PLT in AFG, and makes almost as much as I do now as a Major in the US Army?!?!
    I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I saw this!!! Used to be the military (and for that matter government in general) made less than their civilian counterparts. When I was drafted in 1963 after I graduated from college, I was paid $78.00 a month, provided a roof over my head, food and uniforms! Great first full time job with a college degree!

Disclaimer......as a disabled vet, I am in no way disrespecting our military. Without them, we would be nothing. Just saying........
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No offense taken

I actually love my choice of careers, even with all the crappy vacation it has sent me on over the last decade, I wouldn't have done anything different. I might have found a career for after I retire though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was in the $78.00 crowd a little before CC. I did get an extra $65.00 for jump status. There needs to be some changes made.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    I definitely don't vote for tripling resident fees.....
    I'll second that one Jen. Our resident fees are high enough.