Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just pointing out that salary alone is not how a department should be guaged on how it spends it's money. I don't have a position on Wyoming and it's pay practices, just pointing out that salaries are not the only thing we need to look at.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g & f house.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	6268Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g & f house2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	6267
    Here is a house owned by the Wyoming Game and Fish that one of our area game wardens gets to live in. Not sure if there is any expenses for the Warden or not.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A couple things I was enlightened to regarding G&F housing, supposedly the IRS taxes them at the fair market rental value same as income. Second if they didn't offer housing in some of these dink towns around the state, you'd never get a warden to move there because no one wants to buy a house they couldn't sell later on...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple BB View Post
    A couple things I was enlightened to regarding G&F housing, supposedly the IRS taxes them at the fair market rental value same as income. Second if they didn't offer housing in some of these dink towns around the state, you'd never get a warden to move there because no one wants to buy a house they couldn't sell later on...
    The house pictured above is in Cody, Wyoming. I don't want to misinterpret what your intent was, so I'll just ask. Are you implying that in addition to the base compensation and all other fringe, there would be an inability to staff these dink towns without providing a house?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How many think the gazillion dollar new WG&F building has anything to do with $$$$ shortfalls?
    Lottery sales in Colorado are huge money makers. Ten percent (10%) of all state lottery sales go to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife.
    The moron Wyoming legislature for years has shut their eyes to the fact that, every year, millions and millions of Wyoming dollars has been collected by the Colorado State Lottery's two leading sales outlets on the border of Colorado and Wyoming (Hwy 85) by refusing to allow a Lottery in Wyoming. That may change in the future and if they get their heads out of their butts, they could channel a portion of those Lottery sales to the WGF.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by trkytrack2 View Post
    How many think the gazillion dollar new WG&F building has anything to do with $$$$ shortfalls?
    Lottery sales in Colorado are huge money makers. Ten percent (10%) of all state lottery sales go to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife.
    The moron Wyoming legislature for years has shut their eyes to the fact that, every year, millions and millions of Wyoming dollars has been collected by the Colorado State Lottery's two leading sales outlets on the border of Colorado and Wyoming (Hwy 85) by refusing to allow a Lottery in Wyoming. That may change in the future and if they get their heads out of their butts, they could channel a portion of those Lottery sales to the WGF.
    Getting the Wyoming (rancher) legislature to pull their heads out of their asses would take 10 gallons of WD40 and a tractor!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    FYI the new building has nothing to do with the budget shortfall, as the Department went to the Legislature and the money to build that structure came out of a special appropriation from the General Fund, not their yearly budget. Also they only get about 6% of their funding through the GF, which is mostly dedicated money for certain mandated programs like the wolf and grizzly monitoring, and the rest is through license sales, Federal funds from taxes on hunting/fishing equipment, etc. I guess people that are bitching expect those Wardens to live in a shack! Each one has to maintain an office at their home, keep their state vehicle housed so it's useable in a minutes notice in emergencies, etc. It's not as glamorous a profession as most of you let on and when they'd like to be out hunting they're stuck doing enforcement work around the clock that time of the year. The Warden I know keeps his own horse at his own expense for use in the game biology part of his job so he can cover areas better and not have to use a quad, which a lot of ranchers don't even want on their property.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 08-15-2013 at 07:48 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not every house a game warden lives in is that nice either. The houses around the NE part of the state are average or smaller. Some wardens also choose to live in their own house. I guess its asking to much to provide a house for some one that protects our hunting rights. You also have to remember that pretty much everyone that a warden encounters in the field is armed with a dangerous weapon. Two years ago, wardens in this part of the state made possibly the biggest poaching bust in the NATIONS history!!! I'm pretty sure not one of them received any type of bonus for that. I don't see why people think that they should receive a salary of 20k or less when professional athletes make in the millions for doing jack squat!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to birdhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There are a lot of emotion based arguments here.

Does my company expect me to live in a shack? My company doesn't care. They pay me and I am responsible for my own housing.

So is providing housing now something that should be expected? Does that go for other public servants? How about private enterprise? It is expected for wardens? How about policemen, firemen, postal workers, teachers, non-profit mental health professions, dog catchers, on and on and on.

They have to work when they would rather be out hunting? Me too.

They didn't get a bonus for doing their job? Me either. I worked 293 hours last month and my salary stayed the same. There were 22 regular work days. At eight hours a day, that is 176 hours for the month. I did $4000 worth of redesign work on a project and saved a County $400k on construction costs. My salary still stayed the same.

Athlete's make a ton of money why? Because that is what the market is bearing. I understand that we may not value an athlete's contribution to the greater good just like 'animal activists' gristle at the thought of a profession that uses the term 'game' warden. I'd venture to guess that every game warden out there had a good understanding of the earning potential beforehand. Anybody who pursues that career path doesn't do so with dollar bills in their eyes.

They work in a field where almost every person is armed with a dangerous weapon. Well, my sister is a social worker who works in homes where she encounters convicted criminals that are bat-crap crazy with long histories of despicable violence. She goes to their houses when they are in crisis and she is armed with a DSM-IV book, notepad, and pencil What's your point? Wealth distribution? Take from these people over here whom I don't value and give to these folks over here because they chose a service-based profession that is publicly funded and tightly budgeted.

I thought the topic at hand was about another government agency publicly maneuvering to avoid living within their means. I shudder to think of the dire results stemming from the drastic measures they will be forced to take. Remember how bad that sequester stung? I would hate to see those dark days of inevitable disaster again.

Instead this discussion devolved into an argument by emotive language. If I wanted to be swayed by a fallacious argument in favor of expanding taxpayer funded programs, I wouldn't think to be on an Eastman's hunting forum. This simplification and leap to adverse consequences smacks of social engineering.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Lol worrying about government employees making 100k a year is like worrying about a pinhole leak in your bucket when someone else is sucking water out the top with a 10" hose. The people who make all the money in government are your elected officials. Post up some of their houses errr should I say mansions. I love all this tea party rage at cops, firemen, teachers, etc. while fat cat politicians just sit back and laugh. My local representative who is a republican cashed in on millions in government rice subsidies last year alone, yet he wants me to worry about the cop down the street who bought a new diesel truck. No thanks, I am not so stupid to buy the rhetoric.