Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is the Best USED Western Hunting Bow Under $400

I have bowhunted whitetail in NC for several years with a 10 yr old Buckmaster and I never shoot over 35 yds even though I can consistently hit a pie plate at 40 yds. I have not tried 50.

Now that I am starting to hunt out West I am thinking of upgrading my bow to extend my range out to 50-60 yds.

Here's the kicker: I almost always buy things used. So, what is the best used bow for Western bowhunting for under $400? I realize prices vary.

Also, what would you pay special attention to when checking out a used bow and is where is the best place to find them?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I should clarify that the 3 most important things to me are long-range accuracy, forgiveness and stability by which I mean I want my settings to hold up even if I drop my bow. Some might call that toughness.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 3 Posts
    I bought my first bow used from my local pro shop. People selling their bows take them in to the pro shop. The guy that runs the shop puts them out with a tag with name and phone number, sometimes a price. You can shoot them all you want. Then you make a deal with the owner. It was painless, I was able to shoot 6 bows and found the one i felt most comfortable with. As for the first part of your question, you need to shoot bows to find which one you like. Every single person will tell you theirs is better than others but each person is looking for different things. I purchased a brand new bow last year. I shot Mathews, Bowtech, Martin and Hoyt. There was pros and cons for me on each bow. It came down to which one felt the best to me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Archery talk always has ridicolous deals on 1 year old used bows. I picked up a new mission maniac 2 years ago for 450 bare bow. I shoot every day and out shoot most people at the local range that are running brand new mathews and hoyts. It all comes down to perfect practice for those longer distances, or any distance for that matter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd recommend a Hoyt Alphamax, Maxxis or, CRX. Get them in either the 32" or 35". All are very forgiving bows. Like stated go to Archerytalk.com there some killer deals on the classified.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    At 400.00, you don't have to buy used. Some of last years models can be had at that price now. You can pick up a G5 Quest smoke for 389.00 on e-bay right now brand new. I have one of these bows and can tell you they are a good solid bow for the money. IBO 324 @ 7" brace. Killed a bull at 40 and a buck at 62 last year with one.
    You can also pick-up some of the Martin closeouts in this price range. I have a Martin too and they are a great bow that can really take a beating. You can get a pantera or onza in that price if you look around. These are just a few of the brands out there right now in that price range. Just look for last years models. Hope this helps. Good luck and God bless.
    "For its in these mountains that I long to be, where I can hear God whisper down the creek and through the trees. Just one sunset and I know you'd think the same. Watch your worries fade 'neath a rocky mountain rain."
    Obsession Bows Pro-staff. "Fuel the Obsession"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys, and Darktimber I will take all the blessing God will give me and try to pass it on. All this is meaningless if that relationship isn't right.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I got an almost brand new mint condition 2011 Hoyt Alphaburner a couple months ago off of Archerytalk for $400 shipped tmd. I have seen them go lower also.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Look for a used Elite GT500, pefect for long range, very forgiving and stable, also you get a lifetime warrenty even buying it used.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
    Ill give up all my hunting in Michigan for 2 weeks in the high country

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by miller1 View Post
    Look for a used Elite GT500, pefect for long range, very forgiving and stable, also you get a lifetime warrenty even buying it used.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
    x2 ... Elite Archery are the only bows I know of that have a warranty that is transferable if you buy it used. They are sweet bows and it is what I will buy used when I am ready to upgrade. You can find some on ebay and also Elite has a forum which would also be a good place to find a used bow. I almost bought a GT500 on ebay for $400, but couldnt afford it at the time. I shoot lefty so it is difficult for me to find a used bow. Good luck