Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Hunting Partner (Flake or plan "B"...wait, what is plan "B"?)

Hi,

I'm afraid I may not have the most reliable hunting partner and more importantly, if he falls through, I may be hunting solo b/c I don't have any other friends that enjoy the hunting experience like me...ever happen to anyone reading this forum??

I'm new to hunting in Colorado and although I've hunted many years in the northern Rockies, I've never hunted the central Rockies of Colorado--let alone going solo. Given that my friend has never taken to the hills to bag a big game animal, I'm afraid he's drastically unprepared for November's 4th rifle season; regardless of all my "heads up's" around equipment, weapon care, ammo, and down right shooting practice and exercise/scouting. Needless to say, I feel like I'm a bit handcuffed b/c I never really considered a plan "B"...

I've done a TON of research, talked (on many occasions) to the DOW hunt planners and forest service folks, and will be the main source of getting into and out of the GMU we both drew tags for--doubt he's done anything. That said, does anyone have any suggestions for A) how to handle my flakey friend who said months ago and continues to say he's "all in" for this falls hunting trip, however continues to flake out on any/all hunt preparedness trips/planning sessions etc. and B) how to find a reliable and similar hunter as me to go with...perhaps in the same situation?

Basically, I'm beginning to get a feel for what plan "B" is going to be...solo or other.

Any suggestions for how to deal with a crappy hunting partner whom has never bagged an animal yet claims he's "all in"?

Thanks!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Solo is all I do, and I don't ever need a plan B. It makes life simple.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Solo is all I usually do too. I don't like having to rely on other people or make plans and then have them broken so I just always plan a hunting trip for it to be solo and if someone wants to tag along, then that's fine. But if not then I am prepared and already anticipating going alone. I had people that saw me hunting alone last year tell me I was more than welcome to come with them so you may find that also. You may run into someone while you are hunting that is in the same boat you are. Anyways, that's what I would do.. Just plan on going alone so that you're not disappointed in the end that your friend flaked out..then if he ends up coming along, it will work out even better for you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am pretty much in the same boat as you. All my friends are flakes for the most part and are not reliable enough to plan an out of state hunting trip with. I say start spending as much time alone out in the woods as possible. Start small with full day trips and work your way up as you go. If you sit around and wait for everyone else all you will be doing is wasting time. I know I have the last few years. Now I just try to let someone know where I'm going and I get out there and get after it. A Spot may be a good investment as well. Good luck this fall and don't let anyone hold you back.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes!!! A SPOT would be a good investment! I finally got one earlier this year just because of all my solo trips. I'm as clumsy as they come and I figure it's only a matter of time before I trip over something, break my ankle and then fall down a cliff and break everything else and since I live and hunt somewhere that they obviously didn't film those Verizon, "can you hear me now?!" commercials, I take a little reassurance knowing I can call for help with my SPOT! And it gives them your exact coordinates and that's nice because I'm a woman and not good at all with directions.. Not even to save my life.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    Yes!!! A SPOT would be a good investment! I finally got one earlier this year just because of all my solo trips. I'm as clumsy as they come and I figure it's only a matter of time before I trip over something, break my ankle and then fall down a cliff and break everything else and since I live and hunt somewhere that they obviously didn't film those Verizon, "can you hear me now?!" commercials, I take a little reassurance knowing I can call for help with my SPOT! And it gives them your exact coordinates and that's nice because I'm a woman and not good at all with directions.. Not even to save my life.
    Jen, you are a woman ? Dang, now I know why those other hunters wanted you to hunt with them... LOL !
    I have the same problem if I hunt in Ca.. My best friend used to hunt with me but he has his own business and for last 15 yrs. has only been able to go on Az. archery deer/javalina in Jan. This year I thought I had him talked into going on a 20 yr. anniversary hunt in Wy.He knows I go ever yr. but I brought it up to him that the last time he went with me there was 1992 ! 20 yrs. ago. He bailed on me and I told him they had leftover Reg. F tags. Gave some excuse about his "25" year old son pulled the legiments in his knee. He doesn't even live with him. WTF ? I called up a friend that's is an older gent that talked about going. Told him thay had leftover tags. He jumped on it. He can't get too phyisical but it helps out with the cost of gas, etc.! I've had friends bail on my at last min, once too many times so for years I plan the hunt for myself because I know I'm going no matter what.
    So Brownan89,
    Might as well get used to it and plan it for yourself. If they do go, all the better.
    Jen, now I know why you bought that new Garmin GPS
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 08-02-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How about plan C Browan89. Keep looking for a better fit in hunting partners. Sometimes taking someone along that's not up to the hunt and adventure that you're wanting to do can be more of a safety liability, to both them and yourself unless you willing to compromise and bring the hunt down to their level of abilities and expectations. Sounds like their version of "all in" might not be at the same level as yours from what you've described. I hope the person you have with you works out but if not, I think it's wise for you to plan what you will do in case they bail on you or they decide they can't go for as many days on the hunt.

Plan B works or solo works and there are many good reasons to do so, but it's also nice having someone along for some added safety, comrodery, companionship and all the other attributes that make up a good hunting partner. It also can be awesome to share experiences with someone. Sadly hunting partners can come and go as the tide. Sometimes it's a good tide and sometimes, a not so good one . Hopefully on the bright side that great hunting partner that better fits in with you and your hunting style will come along soon. They are not always that easy to find, but when one does it's awesome.

Hang in there, and if you go solo or think it might come to that, I'd like to encourage you to try out some short solo trips before hunting season if at all possible to test the waters out if it will be new to you. Depending how far back you intend to hunt off the road, or backpack hunt it may be wise and a good time to test out the solo experience by testing out your solo gear, scouting and such ahead of November.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Man, sounds like some of ya'll need some new friends.. In all seriousness, I'd just plan the hunt like I was going solo, and then if he makes it, thats great... If you're afraid he's not gonna be in great shape, I'd just hike in together to base camp, and hunt solo from there..

You might be surprised at what research he's been doing though, maybe he's doing his own thing, gathering up intel from different sources, and then as the hunt gets closer you guys can prepare notes..

It really helps if your partner or crew have different skill sets than you, I know that out of my group, I know more about the ins and outs of each state, from the workings of the draws, to the odds, what units to apply for, etc. While my partners are better at anything that involves electronics.. Maybe you should just give him a project to compete for the hunt?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks to EVERYONE who responded! Sounds like solo is the way to go, although, I've always had a partner for safety purposes primarily. I’ll have to check out a SPOT and include that into my overall hunting system within due time.

Quote of the thread that made me laugh out loud…”Man, sounds like some of ya’ll need some new friends”—Fink. Ha…Just wish the friends I have were more into the outdoors rather than the bar scene and Jersey Shore…I think going solo is a good idea but I’m not sure my wife agrees. I like sjsmallfield’s recommendation of going out alone on a few short trips to get comfortable in the wilderness; I still have some warm weekends before October to give that a go…never spent much time in the wild alone so this will be an interesting experience.

Jen, never thought to actually connect with other hunters in the field. I suppose at the end of the day, we all have something similar in common and using that to one’s advantage is a great idea. I’ll keep my eyes out for other hunters in the field that may be in a similar situation as me. Thanks!

This year will be interesting…I feel like my friend is going to show up with a JanSport backpack including some gummy bears, trail mix, Mountain Dew and a Swiss Army Knife. If he downs an Elk, he will learn quickly that the work really begins when the animal is on the ground; I doubt he has given that any thought.

If anyone will be hunting CO in November, send me a message…I’ll be in GMU 26 (Flattops Wilderness) and could obviously use a buddy…

Much thanks and happy hunting!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Don't diss gummy bears! I have cinnamon gummy bears with me at all times lol
    Good luck this fall and let us know how it goes!