Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey Browan89,
    I LOL when I read that from Fink also !
    I just wanted to say that all my best friends/hunting partners but 2, I met while hunting. I have friends in Wy.,Ut and Az. I hunt with all the time. Everyone of them I met while in the field. 2 of them in Az. are some of my best friends and have known them since 1987. So I bet you will do the same. For me it sucks to go alone, especially out of state. I've done it many times but never regretted it. The part about not having anybody around to share the experiances is the worst. Also when the sun goes down, I get depressed and want to pack up and leave sometimes. I read in a wilderness survival book by Dwight Schue (He taught it in Army) the best thing he found to fight being lonsome/depression while hunting solo was to have a book to read and or a radio to listen to.A fire or light/lantern helps a lot. Also when hunting solo, you need to be extra careful and not take chances that you might when hunting with somebody else . I fell off a cliff in the dark coming down off a mtn. while elk hunting near Durango Co. in 1993. I was lucky I had a backpack on or I would have had a broken back from the rocks. Landed flat on it. I did cut my knee and hip pretty bad. Luckly the father of the friend I was hunting with was a Air Force Flight surgeon back at camp. I had needle and thread in my first aid kit I "always" carry. He showed my the correct way to sew a cut. I even practiced on my knee. The next day my knee was so swollen I could barely bend it. I hobbled back up the mtn. ( in the daylight) and spent the night again and shot a nice bull that morning that woke me up screaming at me from across the canyon. Then the work began. Never popped a stitch in my knee the whole time falling down packing it out (thick thread and correct knot).
    I hunted out of Meeker, Co. in 1995 in the Flattops on a guided hunt. Shot an average bull. Beautiful country. Good luck and most of all have "fun" and be safe !
    Gummy bears...? WTF ?
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 08-04-2012 at 02:44 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Don't hate on gummy bears. Or Skittles. Both are delicious in the field.

I used to duck hunt about 50-60 times a year, about half of that was solo hunting. I've hunted with countless people that I've met out in the field, some small groups, others solo hunters themselves.. I've had some good hunts with some duck killin machines, and I've hunted with some guys that don't know which end of the call to blow. But, they've all been really nice folks, and I think I'd hunt with all of them again, if I ever ran back into them.

I've also had pretty good luck hunting with people on forums like this.. Two of my best friends, and probably some of the better duck hunters I've ever hunted with, I met on a forum..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Once again, don't diss the gummy bears!

I cheat when hunting and take my camper. I have made lots of friends just by stopping by other peoples camps on the way to mine and have had other people do the same. I too have had that depression of being alone before. Last year I fought it off by watching elk hunting movies at night. Also if you drink enough, you can sometimes make up your own friends. I also brought my dogs and they were a big help in the evenings. Especially my extra cuddly lab. Or I would chop up firewood. Just keep yourself busy. If you just sit around the fire by yourself it tends to get kind of lonely.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post

I used to duck hunt about 50-60 times a year, about half of that was solo hunting. I've hunted with countless people that I've met out in the field, some small groups, others solo hunters themselves.. I've had some good hunts with some duck killin machines, and I've hunted with some guys that don't know which end of the call to blow. But, they've all been really nice folks, and I think I'd hunt with all of them again, if I ever ran back into them.

I've also had pretty good luck hunting with people on forums like this.. Two of my best friends, and probably some of the better duck hunters I've ever hunted with, I met on a forum..

I agree!! I have met a couple people of this forum and would hunt with them again in a heartbeat!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post

I agree about the forum. I've meet a few really nice people on here and have plans already. Great idea.
    You should change your name to Funny !

I always get a chuckle out of your posts!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Browan89 View Post
    This year will be interesting…I feel like my friend is going to show up with a JanSport backpack including some gummy bears, trail mix, Mountain Dew and a Swiss Army Knife. If he downs an Elk, he will learn quickly that the work really begins when the animal is on the ground; I doubt he has given that any thought.
    I know how you feel on this one as well but take it easy on the Mountain Dew bashing. It is a backcountry staple.
    On a serious note don't be affraid to ask questions on here. There is a great group of people on here and they are more than willing to help. Good luck this fall.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BRowan89 you brought up good points and i can see your pain as in i think alot of ppl have this problem of heres you having the drive desire passion and motivation to do whatever it takes to fill your tag and you want to find a hunting partner with those same qualities as you and ive found myself in the same boat as you wanting that partner to have that drive and share experiences with i have a couple friends that love hunting but they dont feel the same as i do with all other aspects just the kill no matter the size and so thats where i just started going hunting solo and doin my own thing and ive been much more successfull and have killed trophies in my eyes on solo trips and every chance i get i always have my father as he shares the same feelings as i do and thats where got my obsession from of everything outdoors and i know for some taking your pops out cant happen which is unfortunate but hold your head up high and whatever it comes down you'll get it down this season and sounds like your in the right forum and talking to the right people as everyone i think on this forum has the same motivation and drive to get it done in there neck of the wood anyways best of luck this year!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BRowan,
    Like Jen, I always plan my trips solo and then if someone else wants to tag along fine, not required though. I would also add that you should screen your hunting partners very carefully. When I read your post about your buddy not getting ready it brought back some painful memories from last year. I invited one of my pistol shooting buddies to go pronghorn hunting with me, I take my pronghorns very seriously and I'm ready when it is time to go. We ended up with a late season hunt on left over tags, he asked if he could bring his youngest (30 yr old) son along. I said sure. Told him everything he needed to do to get ready and gave him a detailed list of what to take and more importantly what not to take. I left work at midnight, drove 5-1/2 hours to his house and he was not ready! Had a pile of crap in his garage floor that would not have fit in 3 trucks let alone mine. That was the highlight of the trip, it got worse from there, much, much, worse! The only shots fired were when Jr. who had not ever shot his rifle past 100 yards took a poke at a buck in excess of 600 yards in what was probably a 40 mph cross wind. he missed about 6 feet low and 12 or 15 feet to the right. Then he stood up when the bunch took off running and shot again off hand. I think he shot one more time at something just after the now badly spooked critters went over the ridge. He ended up spooking every single animal we saw on huntable land for the duration of the trip.

Point I'm trying to make is, if your buddy is not ready, leave him at home. The guys that are going with me this year have been getting ready pretty much like I told them to. We are going shooting again tomorrow morning in fact. I have them both shooting out to 500 yards from field positions. Been gathering stuff for months and have been taking them out in the heat for hikes in full gear. i think this trip will be better.

Good luck! I hope it all works out.

Bob
    Last edited by BobT; 08-03-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbickel View Post
    Once again, don't diss the gummy bears!

I cheat when hunting and take my camper. I have made lots of friends just by stopping by other peoples camps on the way to mine and have had other people do the same. I too have had that depression of being alone before. Last year I fought it off by watching elk hunting movies at night. Also if you drink enough, you can sometimes make up your own friends. I also brought my dogs and they were a big help in the evenings. Especially my extra cuddly lab. Or I would chop up firewood. Just keep yourself busy. If you just sit around the fire by yourself it tends to get kind of lonely.
    A camper helps with the lonely part for sure and the weather too ! I've done the video thing too when hunting from a truck/camp. Good idea. When you back pack in, some things you can't take. If you have a solar charger I guess you could watch movies on your phone with out killing the battery??? A paperback book and a little radio don't weigh much .I used to take my lab sometimes too when I packed in by myself. Less trouble than some people...It helped me sleep easier because of how alert and protective he was. He was over 16 yrs. old when I had to put him down. Only the dead are without fear. Bears!
    Drink enough and make up your friends, Jen... LOL ! I guess I never drank enough ! I never sad anything bad about the Dew...It's about the only soft drink I drink. Gummy bears ? LOL ! Don't like any bear !
    BobT,
    I see other people have delt with that kind of thing before...Unbelievable sometimes. I'm lucky that I don't have any hunting buddies like that anymore. the cost for the whole out of state gig is too much $ to waste on such non sense.
    Browan89,
    Did you ever think you would get such a responce ? Great topic/situation to bring up !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I guess I am lucky that i have a good hunting partner. I can see going solo but enjoy all the other things when a hunting buddy goes like, the 21 hr car ride to ID, smoking cigars until one of us can take it (in the car trip), gathering up equipment for months before hand, chasing buddies damn mule 2 miles down the trail when it gets loose. (i hate taking mules)
    Our big problem is other guys wanting to throw in and go with us. It has never worked..... 4 years ago me, hunting buddy, and a good friend went to Co (12 hrs away) on an elk hunt. first 3-4 days were a bust not many elk. day 5 relocated 60 miles south and were in the elk. on the 2nd day of finding the elk our friend is ready to go. (and we took his truck!!) so after getting back home and explaining to wife that i and buddy still had 12 days off (which she didnt see it like i did) 12 hrs later me and buddy back in Co. we did kill out and o what fun it was giving the friend heck about not staying.

Me personally, i like sharing the hunt with a good friend and luckly i have a good hunting buddy. If you cant find a buddy get a mule. Mules always make for a memorable hunt good or bad. mostly bad I hate mules. lol
    Whooooo!!! Knock'em out John