Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    What can really make the value of this gun so high? Is it because it's not really a massed produced?
    Their price mark isn't just the gun and scope. It includes other services as well. Scope mounting, barrel break-in, shooting data, cutting multiple turrets, etc. Even though those things are simple, they still charge a pretty penny for them and it all adds up quickly. For example, it costs about twice as much to cut a NF turret than say a Leupold. The price would be much more appealing if you did all those things yourself, (minus the turret) but I don't think you get that option. It may be too late but I could refer you to a gunsmith who can do the same thing (if not better) and for less money.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations

There is no better gun

Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    Their price mark isn't just the gun and scope. It includes other services as well. Scope mounting, barrel break-in, shooting data, cutting multiple turrets, etc. Even though those things are simple, they still charge a pretty penny for them and it all adds up quickly. For example, it costs about twice as much to cut a NF turret than say a Leupold. The price would be much more appealing if you did all those things yourself, (minus the turret) but I don't think you get that option. It may be too late but I could refer you to a gunsmith who can do the same thing (if not better) and for less money.
    I know this is an older thread, but I just stumbled onto it. The Gunwerks company is one of the best companies I have ever delt with. I ordered a LR-1000 last January and took delivery in September of this year. I made several changes during the process, added a titanium action, carbon fiber barrel, tan stock instead of the dark grey. Everytime I called, I spoke with eithe mike or Aaron. They were always helpful and didn't try to talk me into something I didn't want etc. We also emailed back and forth probably a hundred times about the gun and hunts etc....(my constant checking on when it'd be finished!!).

I have shot semi long range in the past and load my own ammo....but this gun has way outperformed all my other rifles. The trigger is absolutely amazing....the fit and finish is beyond compare. Although I havent yet target shot past 600 yards with it yet...(500 yards a lot though) I've hit dead on every little rock out to 900 yards with relative ease. I also purchased the G7-BR2 rangefinder. This thing is also amazing....I've shot 45 degree angles 6000 ft to 500 ft elevation...it adjusts to all almost instantly giving the range and then a "shoot to" range after compensating for all the environmental factors etc.

This gun is worth every penny....don't listen to a bunch of guys on the Internet saying "I can build the same gun for x amount of dollars etc....with all the time at the range...manufacturing....and employee costs...there probably isn't a huge profit left in the end.....and even if there was, I believe they've earned it...with a gun you'd be proud to own for a lifetime

Any questions....shoot me an email....

Chico, ca.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I pride myself on being a decent shot, and I shoot a 2500-3500 rounds a year at extended distances. Mostly shooting F-Class and varmint hunting.

I am also a military armorer and and have been building guns as a hobby under the tutilidge of one of the best F-Class and Fullbore (national match) gunsmiths in Australia for a couple of years.

I don't know everything, but my take on these folks like John Burns and Gunwerks is this.

If you know what you are doing you can build a better rifle for less money.

If you are short on time, or knowledge you can pay these guys to build you a system and kill game at long distance with it...... most of the time.

These systems will never take the place of practice. Learning the wind, learning when not to shoot and go home, and understanding supersonic to transonic flight transitions at long range.......IE practice.

Nor will they ever be as good as a fully adjustable stock (length, comb height, pad position, grip position, trigger position) rifle built for an individual to his sizes and adjustability.

Something I have never heard any of these guys talk about is eye relief. Bad eye relief can mean 30 inches at 1000 yards.

I will say this, they are hellacious salesmen.

As for carbon fiber, well lets put it this way. No one has ever one a 1000 yard bench rest, F-Class match, 300 meter CISM, or military sniper rifle match with a carbon fiber barrel. If they were better, top competitors would use them.

Some guys might have them on rifles that win small matches, but even in 300 CISM and Benchrest where the ranges are under 600 yards, people don't use them. If they were better they would. We are talking about groups of .010 not making a steel gong chirp.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    If you know what you are doing you can build a better rifle for less money.

If you are short on time, or knowledge you can pay these guys to build you a system and kill game at long distance with it...... most of the time.

These systems will never take the place of practice. Learning the wind, learning when not to shoot and go home, and understanding supersonic to transonic flight transitions at long range.......IE practice.

Nor will they ever be as good as a fully adjustable stock (length, comb height, pad position, grip position, trigger position) rifle built for an individual to his sizes and adjustability.

I will say this, they are hellacious salesmen.
    Bingo!!!!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just noticed I wrote one instead of won. That's what I get for spending 5 hours speaking German at the Swiss Embassy last night.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have just started shooting a 7mm LRM and have been fairly pleased with the way it shoots, at least at the bench. the ammo is a bit spendy but you can get brass and load for yourself to save a little money. Its not smoking but it shoots a 180 grain Berger at 2098 and shoots into a half inch group at 100 yards all day long. I have not had a chance to ring it out at anything longer than 300 yards but plan to next week. I will get back on this post with my results.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to brng525 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I called Gunwerks and got my name in at the factory to build me a LR 1000 with the Nightforce scope and muzzle brake.
    This gun is very expensive but Ive wanted one for a long time and decided to let a few guns collecting dust in the safe go to come up with the cash. The long range hunting discussion has been a very controversial subject on the forum in the past and I'm not looking that type of discussion on this post but I would like input on the gun itself.

What can really make the value of this gun so high? Is it because it's not really a massed produced?

I know the scope alone is $2k+ but I want the package deal, but if you take the cost of the scope out of the deal I think the cost of the gun alone isn't all that bad for what I'm getting.

I know there are other guns out there including my current rifles I hunt with now that I am comfortable shooting long range that I have that cost half as much but I want to consolidate and I think this is the rifle for me.

Any thoughts on the production of this gun and it's components?

Thanx
    I done some custom work on my 700 bdl 300 rum an put the 5-20x50 huskemaw on it an its great the LR 1000 is bad ass

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Thanks for the input guys. I don't want this to turn into a long range debate. I'm only asking about the gun quality itself. Thanks again
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It'll be a shooter

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I got the 7mm LRM

They do include the reloading recipe or I can buy boxes from them at $60 per box. Also if you go the their web site the cost at the bottom of the LR 1000 is the base cost unit. If it was that cost I would have had one along time ago. This one is $7k!
    GULP.....7 thousand dollars?? Did I read that right? WOW! I had no idea they cost that kind of money. I enjoy watching Best of the West, but I "Assumed" the rifles ran around $3,000 to $3,500. I just got educated.