Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Need some advice on my first solo backcountry hunt

Hey guys, I am leaving for my first solo back country Mule Deer hunt. I have rifle hunted all my life but finally got into this addictive bow hunting side of things. My question is this, is there anything I need to make sure i have made provisions for? Any supplies, or gear that is a must? Like I said I am a competent hunter I have just never done back country bow hunting especially alone.

Thanks guys, we are all getting close to getting out there!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    You should buy "Public Land Mulies" by David W. Long. It will help you a lot.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    You should buy "Public Land Mulies" by David W. Long. It will help you a lot.
    Extremely good read. I just got through it myself on the recommendation of the members here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One thing I would consider for sure, is to make sure you have an angle compensating rangfinder.

Atleast 10x optics and a good wind indicator. The wind is everything in bow hunting.

Make sure you have a do-able meat extraction plan.

If your solo you must emergency supplys ie. duct tape, bandages, superglue,firestarter, emer. blanket etc. and the ability to stay calm.

Good Luck and remember Archery is a year round commitment.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Oops! I missed the bow hunter. I have a different book to recommend. David Longs book will still help you a lot, but it's geared more to the rifle hunter. Try this book. It's for the bow hunter.

"Hunting Open Country Mule Deer" by Dwight Schuh

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Guys, thanks for the great advice. I have the book by David Long and read it a couple of months ago, it was a great read for sure. I will look up the other book as well.

I bought the Nikon Rifle Master Range Finder with the angle compensation built in and it has proved invaluable already at the range. I have an amazing pair of Minox 10X42 as well as a spotting scope. I likie the ideas of emergency supplies as well, good call there. I have been working my ass off for this hunt, shooting a ton, scouting a lot and building a good amount of supplies.. Now i just have to hope I can get within range. I know they are there and where they are its now just a matter of getting in close.

Thanks again, and keep the ideas coming.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I envy your hunt. At 70 years old I think this will be m y last hunt with a rifle/muzzleloader. I'm going to switch to a crossbow for the rest of my hunting. I should have done it when I could pull a bow, but it's too late for that now. I know the majority of bow hunters use a stand, but i'm a still hunter, and I want to see if I can make that work with a crossbow. The difference being I take a lot of running shots with a rifle, and I wouldn't with a crossbow. I also need to be a bit closer. Even though i've taken a lot of shots with a rifle that were in bow range. They'll all have to be in bow range with the crossbow.

Sorry, i'm rambling and off topic. Good luck with your hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Backcountry Bowhunting: A Guide to the Wild Side by Cameron Hanes has a section in the book on "solo hunting in the backcountry-what does it take?" The book for me was very inspiring and informative. As far as gear updates and innovation goes and other information, looking through some of the threads here on the Eastman's forum has been very helpful to me as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A couple of my favorite pieces of backpacking gear, I wont leave the trailhead without:
    - Packable down jacket (Super efficient insulation for the weight/space)
    - MSR Pocket Rocket Stove (super light/small, and boils a cup of water at altitude in no time)
    - Large sized charcoal hand warmers (2 per day for later season trips, they are super light and throw a couple in your sleeping bag at night for some extra warmth, and they are still giving off heat in the morning when you are glassing in the cold)
    - Good Sleeping pad (I have a big agnes, but whatever gets you off the ground helps alot to keep you comfortable and warm on a cold night.
    - +1 on the survival gear mentioned above, I would add a 6x6 sheet of tyvek (house wrap) and 20-30 ft of parachute cord, it is pretty light, waterproof, and allows you to make an emergency shelter. Don't leave your survival gear at spike camp, it won't do you any good if it isn't with you when you get lost out hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's a pretty open-ended question. There are quite a few supplies and gear you should make sure not to forget. Packable rain gear (I love my Driducks - $15 and 12 oz), insulated puffy-type jacket (I love my Stoic - $55 and 7 oz), merino underwear and socks, babywipes (I dry mine to save weight then rehydrate for a refreshing camp-bath).

There are volumes of more information to completely answer your question, though. Hope this gets you started,

Pete