Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts

Wyoming Elk 37-6

I have been checking this forum out for a while to stay on top of all the great things that are being past around...thanks to all that have shared!

I have a couple general questions and if anyone can help me out that would be great too!

I am building my Elk/Deer points but during the process I would like to get out to the Big Horns and hopefully take a cow for the freezer and at the same time do a little deer scouting for area 27. I have hunted around unit 18 for deer for 3 years, so this area is new to me (I have hiked a lot in the mountains so I'm not worried about the terrain so much) I will be solo hunting, I am dropping my wife off at the airport after we get done camping in Yellowstone, so I should be there by Oct 5, 2013 and plan to stick around until deer season and how ever long it takes me to get on a deer. Assuming I do draw these tags and the regs do not change that much here are my questions;

1.) The WY game and fish book states unit 37 has having poor access, is this because the September cow hunt is only limited to the north of Wolf Creek Trail?

2.) If I do draw I will be hunting Oct 5 to when deer season opens, so I plan to hunt the "unused area 37" tag. Am I understanding this correct...I can hunt and hunt anywhere in 37 (assuming I have permission) but I will be sticking to the national forest. No other tag needed if I draw the 37-6 tag?

3.) I know this is not a easy hunt and cows can be very tough this time of year, along with weather being a issue. My only concern is will I be wasting my time hunting...are there consistent herds in this area or do they come off the mountains and head to the private land?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 1 Post
    1.) yes lol And there is a large private ranch over there that limits you also.

2.) nope, no other tag will be needed.. Assuming you have your conservation stamp

3.) you are correct, hunting cows in October can get iffy because of the weather. If we get a snow storm the elk will move down and off the mountain. If they do this they will be on private but there is also a piece of state land down there that if you're lucky they will move onto. If you're hunting the beginning of October you shouldn't have too much of a problem... But it is wyoming and its hard to know for sure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Thanks jenbickel!

Another question I have and I think I have the answer but not exactly sure. I bought a point for this year, and plan to continue to build . Can I still buy a point for the 2013 application period and put in for the reduce cow tag...without losing my points?

Also...the unused tag Oct cow hunt I can hunt all of the non-wilderness national forest land in 37 correct?
    Last edited by AT Hiker; 08-06-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You will only lose your points if you draw your first choice. Draw second or third choice you will get a tag and keep your points draw first choice and you get your tag but all your points for that species is GONE.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    Jen is absolutely correct on all points... she usually is! However, she forgot to mention one little access point that you can inquire about at the Game and Fish office here in Sheridan. There is a Hunt Management Unit on the face of the mountain that limits hunting to archery only tags and cow tags. One must sign up to access the place and this can be done at the G&F office... as well as any questions you may have about it. Best of Luck!