Thanks

Mummy Bag Claustrophobia?

I've never had a mummy bag before, just got one getting ready for a back country hunt in sep. I get a little claustrophobic when I'm all closed up in there. It is a long and I'm 6 foot 2, so I have a little room but not a ton. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to manage it? One of my coworkers says you won't notice it after a long day of hunting. I can unzip the bag a bit and that seems to help, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Thanks
    Yep..HAD that problem, I especially like more foot/leg room. Solved it many years ago by not using a mummy type bag anymore. Paid the weight penalty for more sleeping comfort!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    It's was something I got used to over time just to get the most warmth per ounce out of the bag choice. Like Colorado Cowboy mentions they do make bags for the backcountry in a hybrid mummy type or barrel shape or rectangle shapes that are less claustrophobic.
    Last edited by Kevin Root; 08-07-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Yep..HAD that problem, I especially like more foot/leg room. Solved it many years ago by not using a mummy type bag anymore. Paid the weight penalty for more sleeping comfort!
    Same thing I did.

Bob

Thanks
    I always have used a mummy bag for back packing. I'm not claustrophobic but would always get ticked off becaue I move around a lot and the whole bag would roll with me. Somtimes I'd end up 6 ft. from where I started. Worse if it's real cold and you add layers of clothes. Like the other's said, probably best to go with a regular rectangle bag the length and weight you think best and not be miserable .

Thanks
    I'll trade a little weight for a good night's sleep every time because life is miserable w/o a decent night's sleep.

Look at the Big Agnes park series bags. They are a little wider, especially at the bottom but the top is like a mummy bag to help keep in warmth. You can also get a sleeping pad that fits into a pocket of the Big Agnes bags so you never get away from the pad as you toss and turn.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    I'll trade a little weight for a good night's sleep every time because life is miserable w/o a decent night's sleep.

Look at the Big Agnes park series bags. They are a little wider, especially at the bottom but the top is like a mummy bag to help keep in warmth. You can also get a sleeping pad that fits into a pocket of the Big Agnes bags so you never get away from the pad as you toss and turn.
    +1 on the Big Agnes. I'm really liking this system and they are much roomier than a traditional mummy.
    "For its in these mountains that I long to be, where I can hear God whisper down the creek and through the trees. Just one sunset and I know you'd think the same. Watch your worries fade 'neath a rocky mountain rain."
    Obsession Bows Pro-staff. "Fuel the Obsession"

Thanks
    Returning North Face cat's Meow. Ordered Big Agnes summit park and the Big Agnes air core pad, what a difference. This is going to add 2.5 lbs to my pack, but I think its worth it to be able to get a good nights sleep. Its like the Taj Mahal in that thing, warm, comfortable, plenty of room, thanks for the reccs!

Thanks
    get a rect bag... then, I can't imagine claustrophobia... glad I only have 1 phobia in life... ie snakes! haha. 0 would be nicer though...