Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Job Ideas?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I wish all guys and gals entering 4 year wildlife degree programs could get half the advice we are throwing out on this thread. So many people say "I love to hunt" and instantly throw themselves into a 4 year tail spin when they wake up and find out they can't support themselves unless they are in that top 5-10% cream of the crop. Great advice everybody!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd have to agree with what dihardhunter has to say. Getting a 4 yr degree keeps you making technician wages. And if you want to contribute more who ever you work for may always just consider you as a technician (my experience) and so your opinion might not matter. . So now I am working towards wrapping up my master's degree. However, departments like the US Forest Service and US Fish and Wildlife Service have programs called "Student Temporary Employment Terms" or "Student Career Employment Positions" in which they are basically paid internships and gain experience while getting a Bachelor's degree. Its one way to get your foot in the door for working for such departments.
    I'm looking at getting a PhD in the future. I've found what I enjoy the most and that's wildlife research. Dihardhunter- keep in mind that although pickings seem slim now, hopefully sooner or later, positions will open because professors and researchers have to retire sometime. I look forward to reading some of work in the future in JWM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I changed careers at age 37 and thought of being a game warden. The problem is their busy season is hunting season. The same would hold true as a guide. These professions are good if you don't want to hunt yourself. I ended up being a park ranger because the busy season is May-Sep. I can take off in Oct and Nov and nobody cares. It works out perfect except for the pay.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    my dad always told me to pick a job I didn't like but pays well, that way you enjoy your time off more... It is good in theory I guess, I am lucky though, I have a job I love and get time off! I did wild land fire for 3 years, great job except it is during drag racing season and no time off although you get most of the hunting season off.

Ikic has the schedule for work/hunting figured out though

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalhunter View Post
    I changed careers at age 37 and thought of being a game warden. The problem is their busy season is hunting season. The same would hold true as a guide. These professions are good if you don't want to hunt yourself. I ended up being a park ranger because the busy season is May-Sep. I can take off in Oct and Nov and nobody cares. It works out perfect except for the pay.
    I know the warden in my unit. He always gets away for a hunt. Most people think they can get tags easily, but they need to go through the draw like everybody else. At least that what he says.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    When I first started college, I played football and was on a scholorship. I really thought I'd like to coach, bad choice! Have to work all fall with not much opportunity to hunt.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    'bern' - where you going to school and what's your project focus?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all of the input everyone! There is a lot of stuff to think about now ha... Im still thinking of being something like a wilfelife biologist or something along those lines, but i have heard on other forums that "you shouldnt make your hobby your job cuz after awhile you`ll hate your hobby." and i think that is mainly true... i know people who have wanted to be a guide and do that, and then after a few years they hate it and are sick of baby sitting people... im starting to think about going down the city fireman route, or maybe getting a PhD and going into the medical field or something like that. City firemen have a lot of time of too hunt, and so does the medical field. I realize to get into the medical field, it requires many more years of studying, but it will pay off in the future...
    What do you guys think? would you agree with me? or am i up in the night ha?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think you'll find everybody on this forum loves the outdoors and works to hunt. I agree with everybody else get your degrees Masters at least and find your working passion. I went the entrepreneurial route because my Dad always told me you can not fire yourself. I have busted my butt and now I can take the time I need to hunt and take vacations with my family. Finding that balance between life and your hobbies/passions is the most difficult challenge you will face especially when you have a family. Good luck on your journey and always keep an open mind!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hubba20 View Post
    Thanks for all of the input everyone! There is a lot of stuff to think about now ha... Im still thinking of being something like a wilfelife biologist or something along those lines, but i have heard on other forums that "you shouldnt make your hobby your job cuz after awhile you`ll hate your hobby." and i think that is mainly true... i know people who have wanted to be a guide and do that, and then after a few years they hate it and are sick of baby sitting people... im starting to think about going down the city fireman route, or maybe getting a PhD and going into the medical field or something like that. City firemen have a lot of time of too hunt, and so does the medical field. I realize to get into the medical field, it requires many more years of studying, but it will pay off in the future...
    What do you guys think? would you agree with me? or am i up in the night ha?
    It depends on how much you really like the outdoors. I haven't got sick of it in 69 years, so any job that kept me outdoors would never get old.

What I got tired of was loving the outdoors, and working indoors. I started life as an auto mechanic. I did it for 10years, and hated being cooped up. I switched to being a truck driver. Not ideal, but at least I was outside. If I had started as a warden. My life would have been happier.
    I've been retired now for 10 years. I spend at least 325 days a year in the mountains. I guess I like it.