Thread: 121 cow hunt

Hybrid View

Thanks

121 cow hunt

I picked up a surplus cow/calf tag for unit 121. I've never hunted this area and was looking for any advice on where to start. The dates are from Nov 1 - Dec 31. I'm guessing by the late season date that this is some what of a winter range area for the elk?????

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Montanahunter View Post
    I picked up a surplus cow/calf tag for unit 121. I've never hunted this area and was looking for any advice on where to start. The dates are from Nov 1 - Dec 31. I'm guessing by the late season date that this is some what of a winter range area for the elk?????
    I've hunted 121 twice in 2007 and 2008 for cow then bull. I myself would concentrate around Heart Mtn. Near Cody going out hwy 120 towards Mt.. There is a walk in area for the Hoo Doo Ranch on north side but on south side of the mountain is all BLM and they winter in there. I've seen many elk in there and herds of probably 100 or so. I've seen some big bulls too. You can access the south side of mtn./BLM on the right side of Hwy not far past the shooting range on the left. Check out the bench and foothillls and canyons below Heart Mtn. I've seen plenty of elk in the walk in area too. If I had a bull tag in 2007 I could of had my pick out of 5 huge bulls lined out a 50 yds. with a pistol even. If you have horses, I'd pack in around Logan Mtn. Usually see plenty of elk in there also. The bull I shot there had at least 60 plus cows with him. Later in the year the more concentrated they will be because of snow. My friend's in Cody during Dec. usually fill their cow tags close to the road. That's about all I can tell you. I don't think you will have any problem filling your tag. Good Luck !
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 08-09-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntWYODon View Post
    I've hunted 121 twice in 2007 and 2008 for cow then bull. I myself would concentrate around Heart Mtn. Near Cody going out hwy 120 towards Mt.. There is a walk in area for the Hoo Doo Ranch on north side but on south side of the mountain is all BLM and they winter in there. I've seen many elk in there and herds of probably 100 or so. I've seen some big bulls too. You can access the south side of mtn./BLM on the right side of Hwy not far past the shooting range on the left. Check out the bench and foothillls and canyons below Heart Mtn. I've seen plenty of elk in the walk in area too. If I had a bull tag in 2007 I could of had my pick out of 5 huge bulls lined out a 50 yds. with a pistol even. If you have horses, I'd pack in around Logan Mtn. Usually see plenty of elk in there also. The bull I shot there had at least 60 plus cows with him. Later in the year the more concentrated they will be because of snow. My friend's in Cody during Dec. usually fill their cow tags close to the road. That's about all I can tell you. I don't think you will have any problem filling your tag. Good Luck !
    Thank you for the info. Looking forward to a freezer full !!!

Thanks
    Good luck. No help never hunted Wyoming before but I have been talking to the biologist for my area and he has been very helpful. Hope you tag out.