Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts

Wyoming deer region Y or F

Just wondering everyones thoughts on picking between Y or F. We are building deer points and would still like to hunt every year. We are wanting a mountain hunt, so these are the units we are narrowed down to. Right now we are looking at area 125 in Y and 105 in F, we are NR and will be avoiding the wilderness areas. We know grizzlies are in F, but that is not going to stop us from hunting there. We are planning to hunt later in October, so hopefully the weather will be on our side.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've been hunting Reg. F for last 15 yrs. in a row. I like it. Taken a buck every year and a couple decent ones. Couple antelope bucks in area 81 That alsois within Reg. F deer. Beautiful country. I've seen grizzlies but personaly haven't had any trouble, yet... LOL !
    Just my opinion though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HuntWYODon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Very promising for R then! What about area 105 and 106...ever been in there? Sawtooth Mountain in 105 seems pretty remote, according to Google Earth. My only concern with 105 is the October hunt the general tag has to be used on National Forest land. Its not really that big of a deal I guess...since I want to focus in the high country if there is no snow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AT Hiker View Post
    Very promising for R then! What about area 105 and 106...ever been in there? Sawtooth Mountain in 105 seems pretty remote, according to Google Earth. My only concern with 105 is the October hunt the general tag has to be used on National Forest land. Its not really that big of a deal I guess...since I want to focus in the high country if there is no snow.
    Have never hunted Reg. R. Just Reg. F,E,D and G. Somebody else will reply I'm sure !
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 08-10-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sorry...I meant to type F, I guess I accidentally hit the key above it!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You would enjoy Reg. F and shouldn't have any problem getting a buck. I always hunt the late season from Nov. 1 thru 10th. Area 121 goes to 11th. This yr I did the same thing and said I need to get some deer pts and quit putting Reg F 1st choice. I put area 125 lmt. quota 1st choice and drew it with no pts. Was supposed to be a 5 pt. min to draw according to Eastmans. Don't know how but guess its possible. They had 505 Reg. F tags left over this yr.. Unbelievable. I you hunt it , do it in Nov.. U will get a snow storm and the deer will show up out of nowhere. Plenty of doe deer 112 and doe antelope 81 tags too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HuntWYODon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Cool...thanks again. Congrats on 125...Im almost afraid that will happen to me while building points, but if it does Im sure I will make accommodations!

I might try the higher country end of October (weather depending) and then make my way down to the BLM land towards the end, if I need to! My only problem is I want to make it back home (TN) before our rut kicks in!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I talked to the Game and Fish biologist for Region R last week because I was thinking of hunting there in the general season. He said the drought has been really hard on the mule deer herd this year, especially the fawns which he said look terrible. That's on top of the winter kill from a couple years ago.

He said he would wait a couple or three years. According to him, it used to be a good area but is not right now. In fact, he said the other biologists around the state are saying pretty much the same thing about their areas.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AT Hiker View Post
    Cool...thanks again. Congrats on 125...Im almost afraid that will happen to me while building points, but if it does Im sure I will make accommodations!

I might try the higher country end of October (weather depending) and then make my way down to the BLM land towards the end, if I need to! My only problem is I want to make it back home (TN) before our rut kicks in!
    I'd hunt the end of Reg F seaon up to Nov. 10th. The rut is just starting. Seems like around the 7th to me. They should be down lower and if you get a good storm they are on the move. Earllier around Sunlight Basin can be good or up in North Fork. You can get some hiking/hunting in the high country there.There's other places also. Carter Mtn. area. I like Sheep Mtn. Awesome country there.
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 08-11-2012 at 01:01 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HuntWYODon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yea...I heard that is pretty much the same across the whole state, except for certain pockets. Im gonna just build my points and put in for those "trophy" areas for now, in the mean time learn the easier to draw areas. Im more about the hunt, then meat for the freezer, and if I get to put a trophy on the wall great! But if that was my priority I would hire a outfitter to hunt trophy managed private land.