Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Looking for a good book

Looking for a good book to take out with me this year on my elk hunt. Wondering what you guys recomend? Not so much strategies but more the experience and stories behind the hunt. Thanks and good luck to all this year

Thanks
    The Old Man and the Boy by Robert Ruark. A classic. There's some too-good-for-that folks who give the book a lot of flack for minor reasons. But I think it's a great campfire book about an old-timer teaching his grandson the outdoor sports (and life lessons as well).
    http://www.idahoman.com/ - an online, outdoors focused magazine, highlighting hunting, fishing, the land, and the issues surrounding those opportunities in Idaho.

Thanks
    The sequel, The Old Man and the Boy Grows Older is just as good, if not better.
    http://www.idahoman.com/ - an online, outdoors focused magazine, highlighting hunting, fishing, the land, and the issues surrounding those opportunities in Idaho.

Thanks
    I agree! Robert Ruark makes some great books!

Thanks
    peter capstick, death in the long grass has to be the best book ive ever read. anyone thats read it will agree. amazing read

Thanks
    My favorite is Man-Eaters of Kumaon by Jim Corbett. Corbett was a Brit raised in the Indian jungle and the only person that could consistently hunt down individual tigers that had become man-eaters. Some had killed hundreds of Indian villagers over a period of years. Corbett was also an avid photographer and conservationist. India's first national park is named for him.

Corbett tells the stories in very matter-of-fact British understated style that is not at all sensationalistic but the truly dangerous adventures of this guy just give you chills as you read them. They are all documented, true tales of an authentic hero that never sought attention. I have read this book over and over. He also has a couple other books.
    Last edited by hoshour; 08-03-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks
    Does anybody know the name of the book about the college kid who took a job with the Forest Service to stay all by himself in the Selway Wilderness for a winter? Sounds like a good book while on a bivy hunt somewhere.

Thanks
    Indian Creek Chronicles: A Winter Alone in the Wilderness

Thanks
    Muchas gracias

Thanks
    If you like mysteries there is a series by C.J.Box about Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett. If you like mysteries, they are great, especially as they are set in Wyoming and around hunting.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley