Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good Fitness Test?

Most of you live out west and can just hop in the car and get up a mountain, but there are a bunch of us here on the board that live east or south and travel to hunt as non-residents. I know you should be in the best shape possible before heading to the mountains, but it can be really hard to gauge how you are doing when you live in a flat place at sea level. What would be a good fitness test I could aspire to achieve to try and make sure I'm mountain ready in a month?

We are packing in 6-7 miles for 7 days @ 10-11,000 feet if that helps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    on horses or your own legs? if youve never done this before at 10K feet, even above 8k feet your in for some fun. if you can hike in 7 miles with no probs where you are and you feel you are in shape then come have at it. take it slow. very slow. make sure you have a water purifier, and youll want a hiking stick. as far as a work out goes to see if your ready..... really not one

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    Like ivorytip said, take your time. Hunting is not a race. I have never been a real fit guy. Have struggled with my weight my whole life. I just try my hardest and go slow. I manage a respiratory company here in Laramie WY and we setup a few hunters every year on O2 because they push them selves too hard at elevation and end up in the hospital with a severe case of altitude sickness. The best exercise you can do to get ready is the stair climber.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I agree with the stair climber. Nothing else gets your thighs in shape like the stair climber. Back in the 70's when everyone wore ankle weights to keep in shape for basketball/track whatever, I bought a 20# weight vest and still have it. I start wearing it, about this time of the year, all day except when I am really working out. It is a good way to get ready for the 20# day pack that you will have on all day. I also take walks with 5# dumbells in my hands, this gets me ready for carrying my bow or rifle. That being said, I live at 6800 ft and work at elevations up to 9000' pouring concrete so altitude doesn't get to me but if I only came for 1 week from sea level then I think lungs would be the first and primary goal to work on. Even if the legs are in great shape once the lungs get tired you have a hard time catching up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm getting back into running...

endurance I feel is pretty crucial.

my body has been slow to respond, no longer the athlete I once was, but I'm confident with time I'll get back in great shape.

I keep thinking about if I'm 20-40lbs overweight, how if I was fit/at a normal fit weight, essentially I'm wearing a 20-40lb pack everyday all day already.

so once I lose that 20-40, I be fitter, more muscle, less fat.

running is what I want to pursue, but I'd find a sport/activity/hobby you enjoy and do it often as you can, try to at least be active 3x a week. even walking for an hour esp when you currently don't do any exercise, can be a huge benefit...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i joined a gym called kosama compleat body trasfermation. there is now 7 weeks to go till my hunt starts, i'm in week 2 it is very hard been sore everyday i went been on kinda a vegi diet here aswell with a once a week cheet so i can eat sushi mm. but the work outs are extreemly hard 50 min a day with and with out weights and i hope i can loose about 30 lbs, and have muscel fatuige to not be a problem on day 4and 5 of the hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you dont have any hills around to climb than get on a treadmill and set it at as steep as it will go and RUN , switch that up with walking with a heavy pack, just keep the incline maxed out. When you think your in good enough shape, than double that and you will probably make it if you go slow and your mind is well conditioned.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    +2 for the stairclimber though nothing beats actual hills and they don't have to be very high. I also spend time on the treadmill at an incline of 3.5 - 5 with intervals at 8 - 10. I put the speed on 3.5 - 4, depending on the incline, but that's just me. Keep pushing yourself and lengthen your workouts. Squats also help build your climbing muscles.

If you are hiking in, spend some time with a loaded backpack before you go.

As far as acclimating to the elevation, try to get to that altitude a couple days ahead of time and keep drinking LOTS of water, especially if you are flying out. Time and lots of water are really the key to adjusting to higher altitude. I live at 850 feet so I have a similar challenge to you when I go hunting out west. One last thing - carry some good protein bars and healthy snacks. You'll need the extra energy.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I live at 8000ft, and in the spring when I first go up to 10,000-11,000ft I feel it. I would suggest you don't jump all the way up to 10,000ft. Do it in steps. Even if it cuts into your hunting days.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    many people handle the altitude diffrently sometimes i feel it and some times i go right from 1000 feet drive to a mountian and next morning hike up a 14er i think after the last few years my body is not so blind sided as it once was and TAKE your time don't worry about time i just keep walking slowly the turtle always wins the race.