Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    My knees are pretty shot. I do almost all of my workout at 10deg on a treadmill. I stop every 2 miles and do a short little round on a bowflex. At my current pace, I should shed about 20lbs this month and be close to 180. Based on what I have seen from others, I should then load up one of my old packs with 45#(that is about what my 10 day pack weighs in at), and get after it some more. I think strengthening my legs with relatively low impact has helped pull my knees together and made down hills much easier on me. I think a good goal for me by july/Aug would be 8 miles in a day with a (med)pack on and not be burned out and sore the next day. This is all a little new to me in the last few years. Getting old and sitting at a desk everyday really takes a toll.

If I bump the speed above 3, I start getting the lungs burning a little. I assume this is what I should be doing to help train for high altitude?? I am at a whopping 350ft EL in the Willamette Valley.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhershberger View Post
    Got a new personal record tonight! 3.5 miles in 25 minutes which is a 7:08 pace! Pretty stoked! I live at 7500' as well so I hope I can stay in shape over the summer so that I will be ready for September 1.
    That is hauling serious ass, congratulations on that. I had someone at work bet me I couldn't run a 7 minute mile, been training for that, got it down to 7:13 so I'm right there, can't imagine doing 3.5 @ that pace!

I have to say having just come back from a week in New Mexico, that air quality is definitely something I'm noticing. The pollution and the ozone and humidity and heat here are definitely something to struggle against. At 10,000 ft in NM, I could tell there was less oxygen, but the air was very pure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    As the weather has gotten warmer, i started bumping up my workouts. Been doing some new leg work at the gym and did something to my right knee, sore as hell for a couple of weeks. Got an appointment with the ortho Doc Wed, hope I didn't screw it up. Same knee I had scoped 2 years ago. Don't want to have any major surgery this late in the year as it will really put a damper on my hunting this fall. We'll see Wednesday.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i would say join a crossfit near by. that will put you in the best shape of your life when it comes to cardio and strength. eating right also will help. you want to eat lots of veggies and greens.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    As the weather has gotten warmer, i started bumping up my workouts. Been doing some new leg work at the gym and did something to my right knee, sore as hell for a couple of weeks. Got an appointment with the ortho Doc Wed, hope I didn't screw it up. Same knee I had scoped 2 years ago. Don't want to have any major surgery this late in the year as it will really put a damper on my hunting this fall. We'll see Wednesday.
    I hope your ortho appointment goes well on Wednesday CC and or your knee feels better soon. I'll gather major surgery could put a damper on fall hunting. As I've gotten older I get concerned about my knees. Not being able to hike would bum me out. My wife likes to run uphill on our hikes but I just don't like the pounding that my knees get anymore. Seeing my mom get a knee replacement put a damper on my running or at least how I run these days.

Best wishes to you on the upcoming appointment.
    Last edited by Kevin Root; 05-20-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks.
    I already have had one replacement knee, had it for 10 years now. It is absolutely great, but it really takes 10 mos to a year to get back to full strength. They have some new techniques that do less damage to surrounding muscle tissue, so that might be less now. Too much wear and tear on both knees when I was playing ball. We'll see Wednesday.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good luck with the knee CC. Hope everything works out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just got back from the Ortho Dr. and he say its Tendonitis. I'll have to modify my workouts and ice it down afterwards. Compared to the xrays taken 2 years ago when it was scoped, looks good. At least there is no surgery needed.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sounds like great news Colorado Cowboy! Modify workouts and ice sounds so much better news than surgery.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is good news. I managed to crack my radial bone in my right arm on th 18th. Rifle pronghorn is still on, but my bowhunting season may be over, go in for more xrays on Wed to determine if i need surgery or not.