Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: dubois area

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    ames IA
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

    dubois area

    hello I got a bull tag starting the 1st and wanted to know what the area was like for bulls. to be honest I did not do much reserch and saw it was not far from yellowstone so i figured it cant be to bad. info i'm looking for is like what might the weather be like, what size would be considered big for a elk here, how hard is the landscape, and what the overall population like. oh and i'm from mn so scouting is not going to be a option i only have 10days i can take off of work so scoutting will not be going on haha. any info would be helpfull

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Umpqua River, Oregon
    Posts
    2,318
    Thanks
    406
    Thanked 498 Times in 312 Posts
    Congratulations
    49
    Congratulated 55 Times in 8 Posts
    Wow...where to start? What unit are you hunting? Do you have an outfitter lined up? If you are planning to hunt on designated wilderness and there is a lot around Dubois, you will need an outfitter or hunt with a resident of Wyoming. Do you have experience hunting elk? Are you backpacking in, using horses, etc? The game population in the areas surrounding Yellowstone is a shadow of what it once was due to the wolf reintroduction.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    ames IA
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a outfitter lined up just wondering what kind of hunting i'm in for we are packing in with horses. hunting 5 days and packing out. i'm not totally new to elk hunting but the first time i went was for a cow and it wasn't very hard and it was only a day long. maybe i was just lucky but interested what people have to say about it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sterling, Colorado
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 31 Times in 28 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 460s&w View Post
    hello I got a bull tag starting the 1st and wanted to know what the area was like for bulls. to be honest I did not do much reserch and saw it was not far from yellowstone so i figured it cant be to bad. info i'm looking for is like what might the weather be like, what size would be considered big for a elk here, how hard is the landscape, and what the overall population like. oh and i'm from mn so scouting is not going to be a option i only have 10days i can take off of work so scoutting will not be going on haha. any info would be helpfull
    Starting on the 1st. of what month? Are you hunting with a bow, rifle or muzzleloading? What unit are you hunting? Keep in mind....there are lots of grizzlies and wolves around the Dubois area and the elk population is no longer what it use to be. Having an outfitter is smart as the area is heavy with wilderness. There are still some big bulls around but because of the heavy wolf predation they may be difficult to find. Good luc and keep the bear pepper spray close at hand. (Former Wyoming Bowhunter).

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    ames IA
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    wow really theres that many grizzlies roaming around, that might keep me on my toes haha hope i don't have to make the disition to use the spray or 460 and for wolves thats not cool that they reduced the population that much but i hear there is going to be a wolf hunt in wyoming is there going to be one this year or next and how many they hoping to reduce. in mn they are trying for 4-600 but i don't think that will make a dent.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    793
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 460s&w View Post
    wow really theres that many grizzlies roaming around, that might keep me on my toes haha hope i don't have to make the disition to use the spray or 460 and for wolves thats not cool that they reduced the population that much but i hear there is going to be a wolf hunt in wyoming is there going to be one this year or next and how many they hoping to reduce. in mn they are trying for 4-600 but i don't think that will make a dent.
    You may want to get the bear size spray can. I have a friend in Dubois. One time I was walking this fence line and found a bear spray can in a camo fleece pouch. Thought huh ? Saw him later at home and asked if he wanted it. He asked where I found it. I told him. He sad it was his. He dropped it when a sow grizzly that was hanging around the ranch for the last week charged him when working on the fence. I LMAO ! You ran from the bear but dropped your spray. Said yeah, I didn't have a pistol on either. I said I bet you can run fast though huh ? LOL ! Yeah, there are as many grizzer bears there as in the Cody area. Just the other side of the mtn.
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 08-15-2012 at 04:50 PM.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    ames IA
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntWYODon View Post
    You may want to get the bear size spray can. I have a friend in Dubois. One time I was walking this fence line and found a bear spray can in a camo fleece pouch. Though huh ? Saw him later at home and asked if he wanted it. He asked where I found it. I told him. He sad it was his. He dropped it when a sow grizzly that was hanging around the ranch for the last week charged him when working on the fence. I LMAO ! You ran from the bear but dropped your spray. Said yeah, I didn't have a pistol on either. I said I bet you can run fast though huh ? LOL ! Yeah, there are as many grizzer bears there as in the Cody area. Just the other side of the mtn.
    wow hes lucky he did every thing wrong "by the books" haha did your friend have horse shoe with or what hhahaha.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    793
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 460s&w View Post
    wow hes lucky he did every thing wrong "by the books" haha did your friend have horse shoe with or what hhahaha.
    He may have ! He was a goofy guy. I haven't seen or heard from him in many years. He built log cabin kits. He built two on his property that were nice. He was going to build one on my property in Wy. when I was ready. I'd have to track him down again, if he hasn't been eaten by a griz already.
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 08-14-2012 at 02:58 PM.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Area 194,196 Area 192 Area 6 information and or guiding
    By ElevatedCountryOutfitters in forum Nevada
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 10:34 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-14-2012, 08:42 PM
  3. Hunting Dubois wy. Help
    By crumy in forum Bowhunting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 04:05 AM
  4. Info on area 55 deer and area 34 antelope.
    By hvfd21walker in forum Wyoming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 09:21 PM
  5. Grizzlies and wolves near Dubois, WY
    By elktracker in forum Wildlife and Landscapes
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-27-2012, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •