Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts

Which one...Shuttle T Lock or G5 Montec

We have to shoot fixed blade broad heads in Oregon. I want to go with the Shuttle T-Lock (100 grain) or the G5 Montecs (100 grain). For both deer and elk, which of these two broad heads would you recommend?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hear great things about the g5, maybe buy a pack of each and shoot em and see if you can tell a difference in them as far as accuracy although you might have to tune your bow and also maybe depth in target.

My go to fixed blade is the thunderhead 100gr. Just because I have a buttload of em.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Between those two......the Shuttle T's. Much stronger head, IMO.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have shot shuttle T's for years, they fly really well, I think there may be other fixed blades that beat them in penetration tests, but to me if you put it in the right spot, the job will get done.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The blade angle on the shuttle-t is way to steep. On dense bone (ie the shoulder blade) the steep angle causes them to put on the brakes and lock up. A more gradual angle like the montec has a much better chance at passing through dense bone. Remember, all broadheads will perform on the perfect shot, its the superior heads that will shine on the marginal shot to.
    "For its in these mountains that I long to be, where I can hear God whisper down the creek and through the trees. Just one sunset and I know you'd think the same. Watch your worries fade 'neath a rocky mountain rain."
    Obsession Bows Pro-staff. "Fuel the Obsession"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Shuttle for sure, G5's are good, I like how the shuttles fly, seem to steer a little less with the design, and no broadhead is punching threw a mature elks shoulder blade.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shoot the G5 Strikers last year was my first year using them and i really like them i shot a spike and the arrow went all the way through and the elk ran only thirty yards and dropped. But use whatever you are comfortable with.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    DR: I've also shot Thunderhead 100s for as long as I can remember, and have a bunch of parts too, but I am finally thinking of making a change.

Everyone: I like the simple one piece design of the G5s and the simplicity to resharpen, but I have heard many complaints on how sharp these heads can get, particularly on the stainless head. I'm guessing that also has a lot to do with the steep angle the blade is sharpened at.

I have heard excellent reviews on the Shuttle T-Lock, especially with the new sharper blades, and am leaning that way.

I'm looking for a fixed blade broad head that is say in the top 10% for aerodynamics, and say in the top 30% for penetration. I definitely lean to a forgiving broad head to set-up and shoot. Is there another obvious option I should be considering?
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 08-13-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post

I'm looking for a fixed blade broad head that is say in the top 10% for aerodynamics, and say in the top 30% for penetration. I definitely lean to a forgiving broad head to set-up and shoot. Is there another obvious option I should be considering?
    I would consider 4 blade Slick Trick Magnums in 100 grain over either of the two choices since you asked. They fly as well as the Shuttle T's but leave a bigger hole and better blood trail IMO. A little less money too....

Whatever you go with, pick a spot and best of luck to you. It's getting close!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Hulburt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shot G5 Montecs one year and never shot them again. I could never get the blades as sharp as I would have liked them, even with there sharpening stone, and following the directions. I am a die hard Magnus Stinger fan, but was out of broadheads and needed to buy some, so I decided to change and give the Slick Trick Magnums a try. They fly really well out of the package, and I like the blade sharpness, even after shooting into my target 20 times the replaceable blades are sharper than what the G5 was out of the package. Good luck to you in your search, I know picking a broadhead can be one of the toughest things out there.
    Shoot STR8