Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Arizona's Mogollon Rim and White Mountains
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Too many to list.
    The chili is very mild, so I add some pizazz to it.
    Love the beef stew, and many others.
    “We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities;…” -George W. “Nessmuk” Sears-

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    my new fav is the chicken breast and ribbed meat with mashed potatoes!!!! idk if if was cuz i was starving but that was the most delicious thing that has touched my pallet. for real though, good!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Beef stroganoff
    Lasagna
    Chili Mac
    Spaghetti

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I usually get whatever is cheaper or on sale and throw in a single pack of instant mashed potatoes. Its usually the beef stroganoff. I also somewhat watch the weight of them. Some are noticeably heavier then others.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How much are these going for in your areas? I've looked at the big bags at REI and Big 5 and both places are charging $8.00 for a single, large entree.

Does a what's in a single bag provide a full "meal" worth of calories, nutrients, etc, or do you need (in actual use) to supplement them with something?

Reason I ask is that I can get MREs for $7 and the weight different between MREs and Mountain House isn't enough to justify spending that much if I also need to buy supplemental stuff.

Thanks.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I think they were $6 to $7 at walmart for the 2 meal ones last I bought any.I have not tried the single ones but have herd they will leave you hungry.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I get the double entrees for just under $5. Check the food label as far as servings goes. I think that most all of the "double entres" are about 2.5 entrees which is enough for a full meal for me. The breakfasts are also enough for me.

As far as MH v. MRE's, it isn't even close in my book. MRE's are wayyyy too heavy and taste horrible. MH has a good variety taste wise.

Quote Originally Posted by JMSZ View Post
    How much are these going for in your areas? I've looked at the big bags at REI and Big 5 and both places are charging $8.00 for a single, large entree.

Does a what's in a single bag provide a full "meal" worth of calories, nutrients, etc, or do you need (in actual use) to supplement them with something?

Reason I ask is that I can get MREs for $7 and the weight different between MREs and Mountain House isn't enough to justify spending that much if I also need to buy supplemental stuff.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    ive been living on mre's this fall and have been surprised at how far taste has come. sure some are still nasty but ive enjoyed most. plus they are packed with all sorts of random things, had a milkshake in yesterdays. if im packing i take mre's. i keep mountain houses at base camps. mre's can be broken down to heating pack and whatever else u care to carry and wrapped back up with duct tape, works pretty great. plus if you have buddies in military they can score some great deals on mre's. great as in free.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Chicken with mashed potatoes

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy Hacky View Post
    I get the double entrees for just under $5. Check the food label as far as servings goes. I think that most all of the "double entres" are about 2.5 entrees which is enough for a full meal for me. The breakfasts are also enough for me.

As far as MH v. MRE's, it isn't even close in my book. MRE's are wayyyy too heavy and taste horrible. MH has a good variety taste wise.

After posting, I looked at the mountain house website and realized that the ones I was talking about were the 2.5 serving entress, those are consistently $8+ around here.

Comes out to like 675 calories, unless I can find them for less, for the money, I think I'm better off with the MREs at 1,200+ calories.

Like Ivortytip said, they're actually pretty good now. I had sirloin tips in gravy with garlic mashed potatoes and maple sausage a couple of weeks ago while hunting. A couple of the vegetarian ones are even pretty good.

That said, I've eaten them enough in the military to know what ones I like and can buy them individually at the commissary for about $7 each, so I won't get stiffed with something like the hamburger patty or eggs - yuck.

By the way, for anybody who does get them, I would recommend avoiding the cornbread stuffing. I haven't had it yet, but several people in a class I was in did and not one of them could finish it. Even Tabasco sauce only made it less unpalatable.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site