Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More food ideas

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thought of this after my trip this year (of course)...

I'm going to try it at home first, but my 700ml cup looks like it's about the same size as the cup the instant ramen/ramien noodles come in. I'm going to put some boiling water in my cup at home and toss one of those in. If it works (big enough to hold the soup and noodles), next year, I'm going to buy the noodles, take them out of the cup and put them in plastic bags, then just toss them in a cup of boiling water.

When most of the noodles are gone, I toss some tuna in. Lots of protein and carbs and if you get the Korean hot stuff, lots of red pepper and garlic. Warms the cockles of your heart, among other things, on a cold day.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    "Some good ideas. Do lunchables really last. I thought they were perishable. Tuna packs, instant oatmeal, mash potatoes and ramen noodles. I am trying to make my own dehydrated meals."

I would suggest bringing along a couple of MREs or something similar. They're a bit heavier, but you can strip them down, get the cardboard and anything you don't out, then tape them back up.

I actually bring one for each day, strip them, stuff the other food I have for that day (tuna, oatmeal packets, some coffe, etc) into the bag and then tape it up. Makes a nice little food packet for each day.

Reason I say to bring a couple is because they're pre-hydrated, have a lot of calories, don't have to be heated and are designed to be edible right down to freezing temps.

If you can't or don't want to use your stove for some reason (broken, weather, low/out of fuel, etc) you can still get at least one full meal in.
    Last edited by JMSZ; 10-17-2012 at 01:49 PM.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    http://stevesoriginal.com/

I throw a few of these in the mix. Drink lots of H2O with these.