Thread: esbit stove??

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

esbit stove??

anybody use the esbit stove? ive used the jetboil for sometime and really like it but im allways concerned with something going wrong. ive been looking at the esbit series and think im going to try it out. boil time is a few min longer but its fool proof and really nothing there to go wrong, which is really important at 10,000 feet. any insight?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The esbit looks bombproof with the solid fuel. I've never used one but it looks like a sound product. 7 min to boil 500ml is a bit longer then your JetBoil on boil time though. I've had my Jetboil up at 10K and below freezing temp without issue so far.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Root For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    We tried to boil a pint of water inside, at 700 feet of elevation, and couldn't get the water to boil before the fuel cube ran out.. But, the fuel cubes make awesome fire starters.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    got ya. they offer a canister where the cube is shielded by the ellements, maybey ill just buy it and test it out on a scouting trip. but you said tried to boil inside? as in inside a building or tent? sounds like the good ole jet boil will get another season in after all.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    We were inside a house... I was not impressed.. But, those fuel tablets will burn for a long time, even on wet ground. While they don't boil water very well, I keep a few in my pack to start a fire, they did the job at 10,000 feet last fall, when nothing else would.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    I've used them and they worked fine for me but I haven't tried them at high elevation yet. I could get my 700ml snow peak mug boiling with less than 1 fuel cube. Wind protection is important. I keep the little Esbit TI stove and a few fuel cubes and tea bags in my emergency kit now. They are very light, handy to start a fire, and cheaper than Wetfire cubes. As a firestarter I haven't had much luck lighting them with a sparking device, they seem to need direct flame at least in their solid state. I still carry vaseline cotton balls or wetfire cubes for tinder but once lit they work real well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mcseal2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have used them a lot. I have never got them to boil water though. It will get water hot, even scalding hot, but not boil. I use the Esbit stove that comes with it, btw. I use the stove to heat water for a cup o noodles or for instant coffee (Starbucks Via, awesome!). It works great for warming up coffee but I wouldn't rely on it for anything other than that. The fuel tabs also stink, btw.

I think that they just might boil water when it is 70 degrees outside but I haven't used them over 40, maybe 50 degrees (doubt it). Most of the time, when I use them, it is below freezing and they just don't work to boil.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    yeah im going to upgrade to the jetboil flash, have the zip now. they are just handy. the stink on the esbit had me turned off. besides, when its cold out, the faster i can get hot water the better. thanks for the posts!