Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 Elk Tags

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Go to G and F web site look at which area still have reduced tags available. The new regulation covers area that have a lot of tags left. I spend a lot of time on the ground and in the air around area 125 and 129. There is no way in hell that there are even half the number of elk that there are tags. I think G and F did this to generate money. They are attempting to screw us and the small elk herds in the state.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know for a fact that area 129 has very few elk. It's almost all private land. The landowners bitch & complain about the elk so the game & fish are trying to get rid of the elk there. There usually isn't any elk till they get pushed out of the forested areas into 129. Has to be deep snow & heavy pressure. 129 is a general area. No one usually buys a tag because they elk are few & far between. Landowners in 117 are really on the wfgd about too many elk. But they don't really seem to want to let anyone hunt. I can't speak for the other areas in this plan but I know that's why 129 is included.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Lucky! On the elk tags........

You guys are crackin me up!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yeah, some of the units in in the list are mostly private ground. I'd guess most (maybe all) have very little public access. Hard to sell cow tags when you have to go thru an outfitter to access the property.

btw, I love the funny banter that goes on here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyohunter View Post
    I think the areas that are listed are just limited quota cow/calf they just have a history of not selling all the tags. So this is just a way to make sure the tags get sold and generate more revenue
    You hit the nail on the head.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntWYODon View Post

Hey Sprint,
    I was thinking the same thing...I haven't heard anything about any area in Wy. being over populated with elk.
    Have you ...?
    I haven't Don. I know that 104 elk are pretty hard to hunt, with a lot of roads and access in the area. The elk are there but they also know where they are safe there, and as soon as the lead starts flying the head there. Last year I had a reduced price cow/calf for 104 and I didn't see many elk in the December portion of the hunt. But that was a case of enough snow to keep me from being able to get to them but not enough snow to push them down to where you could get to. I haven't heard of any over population in the last few years, I'm sure some areas are above ideal levels, but it would be a damn shame if this was all just a fund raising effort. Not trying to accuse the G&F of anything, but I won't put anything past any government entity.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was reading some of the Colorado Elk herd reports and the results of the surveys they sent out. In one area, elk were 100% above CPW objective. They considered raising the number of cow tags. However, the results of the survey look something like this:

9/10 Landowners: Elk destroying things, too many!
    9/10 Hunters: Elk move to private land, landowners unwilling to grant access reasonably.

Well, gee, I wonder what needs to give here? Increasing the number of tags sure isn't going to do jack all.
    DIY til I DIE

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
    9/10 Hunters: Elk move to private land, landowners unwilling to grant access reasonably.
    We have a similiar situation down here, but with this exception. The landowners either lease out the hunting to an outfitter or they want way too much $$$$ for a trespass fee!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What are some prices you would have to pay for a cow tag on private? Trespass fee only, no guidding involved.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It all depends on the landowner wapiti66. Around my area, some land you can get on to shoot a cow for free!! Other land you a guy has to pay upwards of $1000. So the elk get smart and take a few shots on the land you can get on and then run to the land where they dont let anyone hunt or charge WAY too much for. It becomes a safe-haven for the elk and they dont get shot at. I think that if the landowners cant prove that they have let so many people on to shoot at least a cow for free, that they should not recieve any deprevation money for elk eating their hay and alfalfa. It would piss of the landowners but you would probably see them letting more people on for free.