Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    to old hunter 700 no did kill a coyote at 650 few months ago and killed deer a bit closer, not braggin by no means just saying with the right equipment those kind of shots can be very ethical, i can shoot out to a grand but choose to limit taking animals to 700

Thanks
    Congratulations
    to old hunter 700 no but did kill a coyote at 650 a few months ago and taken deer a bit closer not bragging by no means jus saying with the rite equipment those kind of shots can be very ethical

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Simple reason for not taking those long shots is its not necessary. I'm not saying their aren't proficient "shooters" out there, but most of us hunters can not consistently make a 700 (or 300, 400 or 500) yards shot, even with substantial practice. I shot every day for 5 years while working for a premier firearms company and I will say that taking a shot of that distance, takes more than the like of a "super magnum" rifle and even practice, all stars have to be aligned, so to speak. There are just too many variables at those distances to overcome.

Can it be done, yes, are the firearms today capable, yes, but its just not necessary and from my opinion the animal deserves a little more respect than flinging lead at him from a half a mile away...

During that time at said firearms company, I killed 2 animals over 500 yards. I hunted over 150 days a year and only 2 animals required that long of a shot. Simply put, its not necessary.

My opinion, I know, but we will get more respect from the non-hunting people and hunters alike by taking ethical, humane shots than pretending to be animal snipers potentially leaving game wounded, crippled, lame or to a slow death.

I work in the hunting industry and I know a lot of people who can make these long shots, but my opinion stands that its not necessary.

Sorry to rant, but its just a sore spot for me!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    There are several outdoor/hunting/shooting shows on cable that specialize in showing off their products that they tout as capable of this type of long range shooting. I have no doubts that their equipment is capable of it, it's just the human part of it that bring into question the ethics situation. First...is there a "need" for a hunter to shoot this far? "Maybe"...IMHO. If you watch these shows, could they have gotten closer, probably, but that would not show off their product. Second ...is it ethical? Thats an individaul question each hunter has to answer for themselves. I've hunted for over 60 years and only once or twice have I shot at anything over 400 yards away....with mixed results. Years ago my equipment really was not capable and neither was I. Today I have equipment that is and I've practiced a lot out to 500 yards. That still does not mean I'll shoot that far. I'd rather work hard a getting as close as possible. If thats not possible, I'll pass and keep looking and working.

One thing that is never addressed is how much footage and how many "bad killed" animals shot to get that perfect stuff for TV? I don't have any idea, but I'll bet a lot.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's a bigger sore spot for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    hunting on the open desert will sometimes call for long shots, infact more often than not. my furthest was 400 and although i harvested ill not do it again unless i have a record bull or buck that i know i cant get on. this is a touchy topic for alot of folks. not saying dont not saying do... we all know our limits.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 7 Posts
    As far as shooting 700 yards on an elk, my biggest concern is that elk can soak up a lot of punishment. In fact, I think elk may be the or one of the toughest critters in North America. If someone is shooting at 700 yards, it is going to be far more difficult to make a follow-up shot at a moving bull. Another concern is it could take half an hour or more in elk country to cover that 700 yards to begin tracking the elk for a followup shot, that is if you can even find the exact spot the elk was at the time of the shot.

When I first started elk hunting, a friend gave me advice I still stick to when elk hunting "don't stop shooting until all the legs are in the air". Too many times I have heard the story "I shot, the elk hunched up, and I waited for it to go down." That story opening is usually followed up with the rest of the story how they tracked the elk for miles and lost it. I've killed somewhere around a dozen elk, three moose and been in on a couple grizzly kills and those are my thoughts from experience that an elk is a very tough animal.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    very valid point umpquahunter

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with Umpqua Hunter also...A wounded elk could travel a long ways in the amount of time it takes a human to hike a 1/2 mile across the mountains. Most hunting shows I watch people keep shooting until the animal is down. Also it's going to be very difficult even for a spotter to see where/if you hit the animal at that distance unless he goes down right away. Long distance shooting is only for the range for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    man guys i sure do appriciate all the advice this is some stuff i really need we mite not agree on all topics but sure will listen to any one who will throw a comment or suggestion out there. i guess im jus trying to be as prepared as possible on my next elk hunt i feel like im 17 again and still trying to kill a buck with my bow. to kill a bull elk feels to be only a dream at this point and i refuse to give in and pay a guide to hold my hand ,walk me up to a hill and wack one. you guys are the pros in my opinion