Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

reloading newbee

i have started with the research by reading and watching dvds on how to do it and now i am at the stage where i want to start purchaseing my equipment. the problem im having is i dont know which product to spend my money on. so if anyone has any pros and cons about presses, dies, powder measurer, scales, etc. . you only read the good things about all products i would like to hear the bad about them to help me make a decission.

thank you for all the help i may get.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love my Dillon RL 550B. Not as accurate as a single stage but it's quick! The caliber quick change are really nice too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I've been reloading for over 50 years, so I definately have a little experience. What are you loading for? First you really should buy yourself a good reloading manual. It will have detailed instructions and answer a lot of your questions. Sierra, Lyman, Hornady are only a few. If you are only loading for rifle, then I would buy a good single stage press...I like the RCBS stuff. They will stand behind anything they sell, no questions asked. I've had them send me repair parts on stuff I've had for years....no cost, just called them and told them what I wanted. If I remember correctly they offer a startup kit. You will need dies, powder measure/scale, reloading blocks (hold the shells while you are loading) and a good notebook to record what you are doing so you can refer to it in the future. I have records going back 30 years or so. One thing to remember, usually a rifle will shoot a certain type of load better than other loads. You will have to find what your rifle "likes" best. Another thing is buy a neck sizer in addition to a full length sizer die. You will need to full length size any empty that was not shot in your rifle, After that it is only necessary to neck size them. The empties will last much longer that way. I also like to measure my powder with a scale, slower but more accurate IMHO. I weigh powder charge to the 1/10 of a grain.

If you will post what you are wanting to load for, I can help further.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Colorada Cowboy i really apperciate the help. i want to reload for a wide variety. i have a .17hmr, 22-250, 7mm-08, 35rem, 30-30, 300wsm, 30-06, 270, and a 7mm mag. i already have a hornady manual and the abc of reloading and a rcsb step by step dvd. like i said in my first post you only read the goods never the negatives. i have been in a toss up between RCSB and hornaday products. but there are so many diffferent models for each company.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Suggest you start with a single stage press, so you will be able to understand and see what you are doing each step of the way. As you progress, you can move up to more expensive equipment. The most important piece of the puzzle are the reloading dies. Good dies will last you virtually a lifetime with proper care, and can be destroyed in short order with negligent handling. I prefer Redding dies, but RCBS, Hornady, Forster, and Lyman also make good products. I bought my first set of reloading dies (Lyman) in 1967, and I am still using them.

With some diligent shopping, you might be able to find some real bargains at gun shops that are selling trade ins, or handling an estate sale for a customer. The "Starter Kits" made by RCBS, LYMAN, etc. are a good value for new stuff. A word of Caution: Read the reloading book from left to right (i.e. do not start at the top and work down); Do not trust loads from internet chat, or other unpublished sources; never shoot anyone's loads in your guns, other than your own.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Lineman,
    I haven't been around as long as CC and Saw but not far behind. From what I read, heed their advice. I've been reloading since I was 19 yrs old. 36 yrs ...? Math... I learned a little the hard way but if I would of read and studied it more when I first started I wouldn't of had to. I've destroyed a couple guns and glad to say I'm still hear and have all my fingers and both eyes. A little deaf though.
    I too would start with a single stage press. All I've ever used because I don't shoot mass quantities of ammo. I have an RCBS Rock Chucker and a couple others. I use one for all rifle and one for all pistol. You don't need massive leverage for pistol cases. Get a scale,powder measure (dumper) , loading block's, a mechanical scale and if you can afford it a digital scale. and whatever dies you can afford or get easiest. I like CC, load to the 1/10 grain even with my hunting loads. I load for 15 different calibers. I have RCBS, Hornady and Redding. I agree with Saw, I like Redding the best. They seem better made. Threads cut cleaner and sizing dies smoother inside. I'm not saying you need to start at lightest load but middle of the road for sure. Different bullets produce different pressures with the same case and same powder and charge so buy some bullet manuals too besides powder manuals. I don't even know how many manuals I have but I know I have 4 or 5 open at same time working on a load to compare. You will find a lot of variences between manuals. Screws with your head. If you have a PC you can get online on their sites also for the data. I use Nosler, Hornady, Sierra and Barnes for Bullet maker's manuals. Hogdon,IMR,Allient,etc. for powder maker's manuals. It can get mind boggling with the choices of bullets,powder,cases,primers,etc. but if you have the time and ching ching, it's very gratifing when you work up an accurate load and hunt and kill something with it instead of factory ammo. I've never killed a single animal with a center fire cartrige that was factory ammo.
    Good luck, be careful but have fun !
    Last edited by HuntWYODon; 08-21-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You have got some great suggestions. One thing I have is a RCBS Turret press. It's in between the single stage and autos like the Dillion. I can screw in all my dies and a powder measure in a turret plate and rotate it for each stage. I especially like it for all my pistol loading. I also have different plates all set up for each caliber, makes it really quick and simple to change calibers...just change the plate and possibly the primer tube/drop because of large & small pistol primers.

One thing to remember about Dillion, some of their presses do not have standard size threads for the dies, you have too buy theirs.
    Also .17 HMR is a rim fire, can't reload it!
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    You have got some great suggestions. One thing I have is a RCBS Turret press. It's in between the single stage and autos like the Dillion. I can screw in all my dies and a powder measure in a turret plate and rotate it for each stage. I especially like it for all my pistol loading. I also have different plates all set up for each caliber, makes it really quick and simple to change calibers...just change the plate and possibly the primer tube/drop because of large & small pistol primers.

One thing to remember about Dillion, some of their presses do not have standard size threads for the dies, you have too buy theirs.
    Also .17 HMR is a rim fire, can't reload it!
    CC, have you had any probs with your RCBS turret press ? A friend bought a Hornady turret press a few yrs ago and was a POS if you ask me. Was always breaking the "pot" metal parts,plates, etc. I told him ahead of time to buy RCBS. I don't shoot or reload as much as I used to in the last 10 yrs. but have been kickin around the idea of getting a turret press . Just wondering. Thanks !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No problems. The turret plate and press are cast steel. The only thing I ever had was I broke a primer feed base because I pushed against the verticle tube when I tripped and almost fell. RCBS replaces it for free. I do like RCBS stuff!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks CC !
    I know back then the Hornady wasn't cast steel... No way.
    I forgot to ask in my first post how many started off with LEE LOADER'S LOL ! I did. Unbelievable !