Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    I also like Jerky but I also like to take Jolly Ranchers to have in my mouth while I'm hiking. It seems to keep my mouth and throat from drying out better then water does. I still drink a lot of water while hiking but I defiantly drink less so I conserve what I have before a have to refill my water bladder.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Muleys 24/7 View Post
    I ment hydrated, because you'll have to drink alot of water. Dose that make sense?
    That does. Forced hydration. Lol ! Dam, I wish I had some Mohogany smoked sweet and spicey turkey jerky right now... It's addictive !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Home Made Deer Jerky.... And Not the kind with Liquid Smoke.. Good Old Boy Hickory or Cherry Smoked Jerky....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Y.ArcheryMadMan View Post
    Home Made Deer Jerky.... And Not the kind with Liquid Smoke.. Good Old Boy Hickory or Cherry Smoked Jerky....
    What are you doin up so late ? I've smoked with apricot wood from the 3 trees I have. Any fruit tree wood is good, to even bbq with. Burns quick though. I BBQ with oak all the time but not good for smoking meat. You guys need to stop talkin about jerkey , I'm hungry now! Maybe I should make some from the loper meat that has been sitting in my coolers in kitchen for 2 days ??? I've made jerkey from elk,deer ,antelope and even javalina. one time in 1993 I made about 5 pds. of Az. elk jerky. I had it in a duffel bag sitting in an outfitter's front yard the night before being packed in for a drop camp for elk in Co.. The trip I fell off cliff in dark. I came back in the morning and found a big empty zip lock bag. His dog's got into my duffel bag and ate it all. Don't know how. it was tied . I was pissed and told him what I felt. 4 guys were waiting to eat it on out hunt. I should of jerked one of those dam dog's !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I also like Jerky but I also like to take Jolly Ranchers to have in my mouth while I'm hiking. It seems to keep my mouth and throat from drying out better then water does. I still drink a lot of water while hiking but I defiantly drink less so I conserve what I have before a have to refill my water bladder.
    Very good idea IKC ! I know they keep your mouth moist. Never thought of packing them . Love the water melon. Would have to hide them from my son though!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Speaking of jerky...anybody have any good recipes for making your own jerky in a dehydrator? I have been doing my own for a few years in an electric smoker, but my dad just bought a dehydrator I'd like to try out. Homemade deer jerky is my favorite snack, tasty and makes me feel like im actually getting something good out of it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Wapiti- You should be able to use your same recipes for the dehydrator that you use for smoking.. Provided you like your current recipes, of course. You'll just want to slice the meat thinner than you would when you are smoking. That reminds me, I need to smoke some jerky for my CO elk (I know, there aren't any elk in CO) in 8 days.

Aside from jerky, I like to eat mixed nuts, and candy bars. I never eat candy bars except when hunting, and then... I can mow down some kitkats. Skittles are tasty too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you use your smoker recipe for your dehydrator, but like the smoked taste, add a little of either liquid smoke or sesame oil. Both are pretty potent, so go easy with them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 5 Posts
    Jerky, granola bars and a Mountain Dew. Thats what keeps me alive till I get back to camp.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    +1 on Jerky for me. I like that pioneer type feeling when I'm out in the backcountry. I like some kind of hard candy like Jolly Ranchers too. The candy is perhaps not the healthiest choice but I like them.