Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 6 Posts
    I make pineapple habanero deer jerky.... not too spicy or salty. Mix that with a good trail mix or cliff bars. Light to carry and plenty of nutrition for a day in the field.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 43 Times in 5 Posts
    A Yeti 65 loaded with beer, salami, cheese and ice. J/K
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    A Yeti 65 loaded with beer, salami, cheese and ice. J/K
    My grandpa will be hunting with you then!
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 43 Times in 5 Posts
    HAHA thats ok with me!! I sure like having some good ole boys around.
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My own mix of trail mix. Peanuts cashews pecans m&m dark chocolate dried blueberries and rasins and dried cranberries

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    We always bring dehydrated peaches, granola bars, and venison jerky. Sometimes we will smoke chicken legs in advance and bring those to, they make for a great recharge on protein.
    2010 Mathews Reezen 7.0 70# draw
    G5 optik sight
    Tru Fire Hardcore
    Carbon Express Maxima Hunters

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    I've caught a lot of flack for all the high fiber protein bars packed along over the years.
    Unkowingly packed a hidden canister of Metamucil about 5 miles one day...

Last year I ran my first marathon and interestingly enough Gummy Bears were handed out at several stations.

I don't know if they gave me more energy or not but I'm gonna pack some along on my Spring Bear hunts.

My wife (who grew up in Northern CA- need I say more?) turned me on to these Blackberry Bliss "Chia Seed" squeeze packs.
    I know I am almost ashamed to admit that I tried one.

They are kind of like the energy goo packs, that runners use, but a little more slimy.......as soon as I tried one I thought about using it on pack in hunts.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is a tough one for me. Most of the items listed here are basically junk food, along with some dried fruit & PB&J. I am trying to change what I eat because I developed an addiction to chocolate, sugar, fat and salt so that when I have a bite, I'm like an alcoholic with his first drink - off to the races, throwing down everything I can find. When I was young, it made no difference in weight but once I started a desk job in my 30s I gained 1-2 pounds/year. Now, I'm working hard to lose it this year. So far, I'm down 15 pounds, thanks to a no-tolerance policy on the stuff above and 5 days a week at the gym. I've got another 25 to go before fall and I'm feeling stronger and more energetic.

So, I think my no-tolerance policy on sweets and the salty or fatty stuff is going to be in place from now on, which knocks out nearly all of what you guys take along for snacks.

Don't laugh, but a friend of mine who changed his diet and looks great swears by snacking on kale. Kale has the highest nutritional value of any food and is light and cheap. Plus, I found that once I quit eating fats and sugars my taste buds changed completely to where the natural taste of things really comes alive and things I didn't use to like, I do now. And, anything with much fat tastes disgustingly greasy and sugary stuff tastes way more sugary than it used to. I may try his kale idea on some short hikes, maybe also take some dried fruit, though despite the name it tends to be heavy to carry.
    Last edited by hoshour; 03-11-2014 at 06:23 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    My own home made jerky!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    This is a tough one for me. Most of the items listed here are basically junk food, along with some dried fruit & PB&J. I am trying to change what I eat because I developed an addiction to chocolate, sugar, fat and salt so that when I have a bite, I'm like an alcoholic with his first drink - off to the races, throwing down everything I can find. When I was young, it made no difference in weight but once I started a desk job in my 30s I gained 1-2 pounds/year. Now, I'm working hard to lose it this year. So far, I'm down 15 pounds, thanks to a no-tolerance policy on the stuff above and 5 days a week at the gym. I've got another 25 to go before fall and I'm feeling stronger and more energetic.

So, I think my no-tolerance policy on sweets and the salty or fatty stuff is going to be in place from now on, which knocks out nearly all of what you guys take along for snacks.

Don't laugh, but a friend of mine who changed his diet and looks great swears by snacking on kale. Kale has the highest nutritional value of any food and is light and cheap. Plus, I found that once I quit eating fats and sugars my taste buds changed completely to where the natural taste of things really comes alive and things I didn't use to like, I do now. And, anything with much fat tastes disgustingly greasy and sugary stuff tastes way more sugary than it used to. I may try his kale idea on some short hikes, maybe also take some dried fruit, though despite the name it tends to be heavy to carry.
    If you make your own, you can do very low sodium venison jerky. I have made a few batches with zero sodium that weren't too bad. Try using fruit, vegetables, and peppers to flavor your meat.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post: