Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti66 View Post
    Speaking of jerky...anybody have any good recipes for making your own jerky in a dehydrator? I have been doing my own for a few years in an electric smoker, but my dad just bought a dehydrator I'd like to try out. Homemade deer jerky is my favorite snack, tasty and makes me feel like im actually getting something good out of it.
    • 2 lbs. of meat sliced 1/8” thick
    • 1 cup of Allegro (Game Tame)
    • 1 ˝ tablespoon Garlic Powder
    • 1 ˝ tablespoon Liquid Smoke
    • 1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt

Mix the meat and the marinade in a ziplock bag, refrigerate for 24 hrs. Sprinkle Ground Red Pepper (Cayenne) on top of meat. Dehydrate at 150 – 175 degrees for 4-6 hrs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Jerky Homemade- It reminds me of the cycle of life and why I am hunting and my place on this earth.

Honey Stinger Waffles- I WILL be packing these! I have tried them after long runs and they are the tastiest energy treat I have ever scarfed down. 160 calories per ounce (One waffle) which is a very high weight to calorie ratio.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nobody mentioned peanuts or cashews, high calories per ounce! I also like peanut M&Ms and recently found some pork jerky at Sams Club that is all natural without the preservatives. Boiled eggs are good for about three days if it doesn't get to warm. Raisins and dried cranberries, foil packaged tuna in oil and chicken are also on my list of snacks. I backpack in for two weeks plus so my snack list may be a little different than some.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    summer sausage is a must have, with club crackers haha

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Peanut Butter and honey on flour tortillas. They don't get all squished and fall apart like bread.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yall need to try stinger honey waffles and stinger energy gummies, those things keep me going during a tough packout. The stinger energy gummies taste a heck of a lot better than jolly ranchers and aint bad for ya.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wyo-hntr View Post
    Peanut Butter and honey on flour tortillas. They don't get all squished and fall apart like bread.
    That's good thinking! Do they get soggy like bread does? I hate pulling out my sandwich and it's all soggy and gross. Lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Cameron Haines once mentioned bacon & pb sandwich. I had to try it so I did & love it. I eat them all the time. Great source of protein & carbs for energy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Cliff Mojo bars, like trail mix in a bar form, not as sweet as the regular Cliff bars (I can't eat them because they're so sweet).

I sometimes also bring some trail mix, I love that stuff.

Ricola cough drops, not so sweet, I always have a couple of bags.

I looked at the Honey Stingers, the waffles are nothing but carbs, no protein at all, so I'm still debating on them.

Normally bring Gatorade packets, but I'm going to try the Wilderness Athlete.

Packets of 3-in-1 (coffee, creamer and sugar) instant coffee, get them at Asian markets. Can mix it up cold and it's really good with cocoa.

The peanut butter and bacon actually sounds good, I'm going to have to try that.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've packed PB and Bacon sandwiches for a long time. In fact if I'm car camping and make pancakes I'll use the leftover cakes as my bread. I pack a lot of jerky and trail mix as well. I have found that sugary candy (snickers) bars don't keep me going and therefore I overeat on them. Don't get me wrong I love snickers they just aren't great for backcountry nutrition. I must say that upon reading and studying up on other options I ran across Kristy Titus's blog article on the Wilderness Athlete website and I now pack MetrX meal replacement bars. They taste great, are loaded with good stuff, and stick with you longer throughout the day. This last year I used the Wilderness Athlete Hydrate and Recover as well as the Energy and Focus drink mix. It is incredible how when combined, the two of these products work together to increase focus during a long day or several long days in the backcountry. They also make bad tasting water more palatable. In fact, I can honestly say that there was one day in particular when the combination of these two products in 12 ounces of water (they call this "The Blaze") from my hydration bladder actually gave me a pick-me-up and helped me push through the mid-day glassing lull and stay in the woods long enough for the weather to change and for the elk to kick in to high gear in the early afternoon. All my buddies save one were back in camp "sleeping through the heat." Needless to say they missed some great mid-day bugling but not the pack out that night from a steep canyon where my buddy and I killed a great bull at two in the afternoon. I'm not saying we owe that bull to a nutritional supplement but that spurt of energy and focus kept us in position to capitalize on a great opportunity.

After years of lugging around useless crap in my pack now I won't go into the woods for a full day or couple of days without the following things in my pack for nutrition; PB and Bacon, Trail mix, those MetrX bars, squeeze bottle of honey(quick pick-me-up), and Wilderness Athlete packets of Hydrate & Recover and Energy & Focus.

I won't say this is the gospel of Wilderness nutrition but it works for me.